topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Superboyac is throwing in the towel: I'm going to transition to Linux  (Read 94893 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Don't speak too loudly about that, because your using an illegal copy of Windows.... Don't beleive me, just read the EULA with the CD or on MS's web site....  In fact, I'm kind of surprised that you were even able to register it with the MS website, which is automatic, unless you ran one of the various hacks to bypass Windows DRM.

No... I actually called MS and they registered it for me.  I think your read of the EULA is wrong.  They asked me if I had it installed anywhere else, and I said no.  The OEM version has different licensing, but it costs a whole lot less for that reason.

Well lets see, if MS stops issuing security updates, then obviously XP won't stand a chance on the internet.  Therefore I'd have to disable the networking side of things to prevent someone from accessing XP over the internet...

Fallacious again.  Unless there is a severe vulnerability found (not outside of the realm of possibility) then this is FUD at its worst.  And even in most of those cases you have to (a) download something that contains the payload or (b) open yourself up to direct access to the internet.  A good firewall, turning of unused services, decent internet practices, and awareness of possible vulnerabilities protect you from most attacks.  This isn't to say that it might not come to the point where XP is unusable because of an extreme unpatched vulnerability.  But to say that lack of support makes it immediately dead in the water is FUD.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Don't speak too loudly about that, because your using an illegal copy of Windows.... Don't beleive me, just read the EULA with the CD or on MS's web site....  In fact, I'm kind of surprised that you were even able to register it with the MS website, which is automatic, unless you ran one of the various hacks to bypass Windows DRM.

[quote No... I actually called MS and they registered it for me.  I think your read of the EULA is wrong.  They asked me if I had it installed anywhere else, and I said no.  The OEM version has different licensing, but it costs a whole lot less for that reason.

Yeah, you just keep on believing that.  The only difference in licensing for the OEM is that MS don't support it, but it is still licensed to the motherboard...Unlike a lot of folks, I've read the terms of use.

Well lets see, if MS stops issuing security updates, then obviously XP won't stand a chance on the internet.  Therefore I'd have to disable the networking side of things to prevent someone from accessing XP over the internet...

Fallacious again.  Unless there is a severe vulnerability found (not outside of the realm of possibility) then this is FUD at its worst.  And even in most of those cases you have to (a) download something that contains the payload or (b) open yourself up to direct access to the internet.  A good firewall, turning of unused services, decent internet practices, and awareness of possible vulnerabilities protect you from most attacks.  This isn't to say that it might not come to the point where XP is unusable because of an extreme unpatched vulnerability.  But to say that lack of support makes it immediately dead in the water is FUD.

Well if you want to surf around the internet with an unpatched system, then be my guest.  And how could that be "fallacious" when you yourself said that it could happen?  Hackers are constantly finding new ways into systems, and you don't have to download anything for that to happen either.  Ever heard of a "Driveby" or infected web pages?

And why in the hell does it make a difference to you if I go to Linux?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:47 PM by Tinman57 »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I never said it made a difference.  I was responding to your statements, so others wouldn't believe that.  I already said that I talked to MS about the one, and they said it was fine (and registered it for me), and shrug on the second part.  I've already given the caveat, i.e. you have to be knowledgeable, which is the truth.  And as far as the last statement, that seemed borderline passive-aggressive, so with that I'll bow out. 

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alright folks, I think we need to digress back on to the original path of this topic.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  Apparently, somebody thinks I'm lying to the masses and has taken it upon himself to trash me because he didn't want others to believe a "lie".  I guess he's a self appointed sheriff of the board or something.  Anyhow.....

Interesting stuff found on MS website;

"OEM licenses, including Windows preinstalled on a computer before purchase and Windows bought separately, are tied to the first computer they are installed on and can not be transferred to a different computer. To install Windows on a different computer you will need to buy another copy."

But what about changing out motherboards with a different motherboard? ;

"The license that comes on or with the computer is almost always an OEM license, and such licenses are married to the computer onto which they are first installed and cannot be moved to any other computer.

In cases of preinstallations based on SLP technology where the Recovery CD is programmed to look for certain informaion in the motherboard BIOS, as long as the motherboard is sourced from the original manufacturer and is designated by such manufacturer as the correct replacement part for that model of laptop, the Recovery CDs are supposed to work and are expected to completely install the original OEM license onto the computer after such a motherboard replacement.

From an OEM licensing point of view, the processor chip itself can be upgraded without running afoul of the OEM license's restriction on movement, because Microsoft considers the motherboard to be the defining component rather than the processor.  Of course, a big upgrade in processor chip will necessitate a more capable motherboard so indirectly there are limits on how extensive of a processor upgrade can be without crossing the "new computer" line in the sand."

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ I wasn't going to respond, as Josh has already pointed that we should get back on topic (transition to Linux in case we're keeping track) so it doesn't seem that this is constructive.  Your own post speaks for itself (in regards to the OEM licensing, which was what I stated; my license is not an OEM license).  As far as the other, it appears that I have offended you (or something in that regard) and if I did, I do apologize for that was not my intent.  Your statements were a blanket statement, and I was correcting them from person experience, as this was a discussion and I offered my points, not to denigrate yours, but to give a fuller picture that you might not have been aware of.  I hope that this terminates this line if conversation, so we can get back on topic. :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  I suppose my only dilemma is if/when I do go to Linux, which flavor should I go to.  But that will be a discussion on a Linux forum.  I can only imagine the fighting that will/has break/broken out between the Linux flavor fanboys.
  I've used many many different OS's over the years including Unix, but I don't really have a clue about the differences in the Linux flavors.  Actually, I don't have a clue as to how to use Linux.  I suppose one good thing about that is if I don't like one front end, I can just blow it away and try another flavor without having to blow away the whole OS.  I actually have a Linux Distro, plus WinLinux 2001, but they are both old and outdated.
  I had thought about going over to Apple too, but as much crap as I've seen that they've put their user base through, plus the cost of their machines & accessories and a few other things, I decided not to even add them to the list.
  Methinks this will require much research.... For another couple of years I suppose.....

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Let me start with that again:

Whenever you install Linux (whatever distro), disable ACPI in the BIOS. I have not met one distro who handles this well (CentOS 4 & 5, OpenSuse 10 & 11, Ubuntu 8 till 11, Fedora 12) on any of the mainboards I have tried (with VIA, Intel and NVidia chipsets). Literally, none would work. However, after disabling installation and functioning was fine. Currently I run server editions from Ubuntu and these are rock solid. For desktop use I wouldn't consider Ubuntu, but really, disable ACPI (re-)install Linux and enjoy the experience.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  I suppose my only dilemma is if/when I do go to Linux, which flavor should I go to.  But that will be a discussion on a Linux forum.  I can only imagine the fighting that will/has break/broken out between the Linux flavor fanboys.
  I've used many many different OS's over the years including Unix, but I don't really have a clue about the differences in the Linux flavors.  Actually, I don't have a clue as to how to use Linux.  I suppose one good thing about that is if I don't like one front end, I can just blow it away and try another flavor without having to blow away the whole OS.  I actually have a Linux Distro, plus WinLinux 2001, but they are both old and outdated.
  I had thought about going over to Apple too, but as much crap as I've seen that they've put their user base through, plus the cost of their machines & accessories and a few other things, I decided not to even add them to the list.
  Methinks this will require much research.... For another couple of years I suppose.....

Maybe I can save you a couple of years... I can't say I know a whole lot, but see my adventures above on what a good solid weekend can do for you.

I liken it to a grid, Distro X Front End.

Each of those combos has software that is (directly) supported by those Distro X  Front End combos. For example, a Debian-Gnome combo will run different programs than a Debian-KDE combo. An OpenSUSE-KDE combo runs different programs than a Debian-SUSE combo.

So my rough advice is to think of the Software/Apps you want, (or potentially want in the future) and work backwards. I learned some 25% of "what I need to" in one weekend - I ended up with a Sub-Sub-Debian X LXDE combo. Later I can switch, but I feel it is important to start SOMEWHERE, then "just start doing things", THEN decide if it is still the best of all options, or if a switch is better.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Shades, can you explain the issue with ACPI?

By the way, my opinion on XP ending support and usage of it on old hardware is - Old hardware is not supported by soft developers too. For example, Adobe products on XP are on their way out. Same goes for some modern browsers and that way you'll be forced to upgrade. So in this case, linux is good as there are always altenative packages that works on low hardware.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An OpenSUSE-KDE combo runs different programs than a Debian-SUSE combo.
Except for the package management system: Why?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apparently the Linux kernel can behave very strangely when it is enabled. Most forums I visited with regards to errors I experienced always told me to disable ACPI. For some chipsets it works, but with most it just introduces erratic behavior that drives you insane.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An OpenSUSE-KDE combo runs different programs than a Debian-SUSE combo.
Except for the package management system: Why?

Okay, maybe it's my newbieness talking, but I assumed that Suse programs couldn't run on Debian.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wrong. "Suse programs" can even run on FreeBSD.  :D
The only thing that might break compatibility are library dependencies. ELF binaries are ELF binaries (like .exe on Windows), but if certain libraries (.dll files) are missing or exist in their wrong versions, you will not be able to execute the application without breakages.

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Since my last post on this topic, 29 Feb., I have expanded my hardware to include a new(used) box for backup and duplicated Linux functions. I have no need for high specification video or sound. My approach is just to have fun and to keep a simple, with no need for constant upgrades, safe setup. I prefer to use 'live' Linux CD running in RAM. The new(used) box has more RAM than my best previous favorite box and a CD plus a CDRW so it should be good if the older one fails. I bought four similar new Maxtor 10 GB hard drives as spares years ago and only one is a little used so they should last quite a while. Linux Mint 12, Knoppix 5.1.1 and Puppy 5.2.5 work well and give me lots of choices. The upgrade has 768 MB ram, 1.8 GHz, 40 GB hdd, CD, CDRW, ethernet, usb and cost forty dollars, ( $40.00 ) so I can get back to the fun.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are you saying you did a Triple Boot menu? Neato!

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whenever you install Linux (whatever distro), disable ACPI in the BIOS
  Now that's an excellent tidbit of info.  Thanks!  :Thmbsup:  I'm putting together a text file of important Linux stuff that I need to know before installing, and this goes into that text file.   ;D

Only thing to figure out now is if I'm installing a dual boot XP/Linux, what will be the outcome of disabling ACPI on XP......

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apparently the Linux kernel can behave very strangely when it is enabled. Most forums I visited with regards to errors I experienced always told me to disable ACPI. For some chipsets it works, but with most it just introduces erratic behavior that drives you insane.
I don't even know what that means and why it matters! Care to help?

P.S. Where's our mascot Superboy to help carry the torch?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't even know what that means and why it matters! Care to help?

P.S. Where's our mascot Superboy to help carry the torch?
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) specification provides an open standard for device configuration and power management by the operating system.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  Oh Microsoft, you've done it again....  >:(  If you want to play  DVD's on Win 8, you have to pay extra.  As a result of dumping Media Center by default, out of the box versions of Windows 8 will also lose TV tuner support and DVD Video Object (VOB) file playback.

Windows 8 Dumps Default DVD Playback
Microsoft's Windows 8 will not ship with support for DVD
playback. It says DVD playback will require a "marginal cost" OS
upgrade or a third-party solution.
http://www.pcworld.c...lt_dvd_playback.html

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Yeah, I saw the news of that too. "In the future, products have *fewer* features than before!"  :mad:

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  Oh Microsoft, you've done it again....  >:(  If you want to play  DVD's on Win 8, you have to pay extra.  As a result of dumping Media Center by default, out of the box versions of Windows 8 will also lose TV tuner support and DVD Video Object (VOB) file playback.

Windows 8 Dumps Default DVD Playback
Microsoft's Windows 8 will not ship with support for DVD
playback. It says DVD playback will require a "marginal cost" OS
upgrade or a third-party solution.
http://www.pcworld.c...lt_dvd_playback.html

I thought Media Center was only being omitted from the Pro version. Almost all computer will ship with the Home version on - which begs the question if you upgrade to Pro do they REMOVE functionality?

Has anyone seen whether losing Media Center in Pro affects Media Player which has been in every version of Windows at least since Windows 98.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I thought Media Center was only being omitted from the Pro version. Almost all computer will ship with the Home version on - which begs the question if you upgrade to Pro do they REMOVE functionality?

Has anyone seen whether losing Media Center in Pro affects Media Player which has been in every version of Windows at least since Windows 98.

From what I understand, if you already have Media Center you can use it on Win 8.  But considering it has to be "installed", unless you can find and get the installer to work your out of luck.  And I think that Media Center can't be separated from the OS disk to install on another machine according to MS's EULA.
  Win 8 and pro comes with Media Player.  But doesn't that beg the question would you still have to install all the codecs, which means you either find a freebie codec or pay for it?
  Here's a rundown of what comes with the different flavors of Win 8: http://www.pcworld.c...n_four_versions.html
  You can go to the MS website and ask a question to the MS agents for the proper answers....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:48 PM by Tinman57 »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
o_O

How the hell did I manage to miss a "I'm switching to Linux" thread?  :tellme:

So, superboyac, how's it going?
Need help?
I got your back, don't worry...

animated_flying_super_penguin.gif

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's slowly coming to the time of year where I make another attempt of switching to linux or BSD as a main desktop/laptop OS (except for games)
Last year went further than ever but still faltered on finding apps I could deal with - for image management, music, but also for diagrams. And now Access based Actinic. Still, maybe this year they work on Crossover?

By the way my combo on TaoPhoenix's grid ended up Slackware-fluxbox