topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Suggestion: Rename ConfigDir.ini in Portable Zip FindAndRunRobot.zip  (Read 5950 times)

ptran

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I suggest that the ConfigDir.ini in the FindAndRunRobot.zip file be renamed to ConfigDir_Portable.ini. I'm making this suggestion because I don't want the ConfigDir.ini from the ZIP file to overwrite my custom settings in my ConfigDir.ini.

In the new portable zip of FARR, https://www.donation...RunRobotPortable.zip, there's a ConfigDir.ini that sets the following variables:

PORTABLE=TRUE
CONFIGDIR=.

To prevent this ConfigDir.ini from overwriting my ConfigDir.ini, I first rename my ConfigDir.ini, extract the ZIP, and then restore my original ConfgiDir.ini. In my ConfigDir.ini, I don't set PORTABLE, and I assign CONFIGDIR to a different location than ".".

If other folks are also trying to maintain their own ConfigDir.ini while using the ZIP file, then this request is probably worthwhile. If I'm the only one running into this, then it's probably not worth the change.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Suggestion: Rename ConfigDir.ini in Portable Zip FindAndRunRobot.zip
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:50 PM »
I'm making this suggestion because I don't want the ConfigDir.ini from the ZIP file to overwrite my custom settings in my ConfigDir.ini.

a wise person alerted me to this before and i should have listened.

i was thinking what i might do is use a configdir_default.ini and configdir.ini, with the _default included in the zip.  so if you have your own configdir.ini it would take precedence over the default and never be overwritten.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Implemented; will be in update pushed out this weekend.

ptran

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm posting to confirm the 2.105.1 zip file does not overwrite my customized ConfigDir.ini.

Thanks for the change!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Happy to oblige  :up: