topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Qatapult  (Read 331659 times)

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Qatapult
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 05:08 AM »
I didn't find Qatapult to handle some non-Latin text (e.g. CJK)
I think that this is font related. The font I use is arial, and it probably doesn't handle cjk characters. I'll need to give an option to use alternate font so that it works.
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 05:29 AM »
Do you think using the left arrow key is a bad idea?
No that would be actually better, because ctrl+back means precedent word or slash whereas ctrl+left or ? would mean only precedent slash and it would be coherent with the \ and right completion.

About the command object : this is very nice. I wasn't sure at first. I understand that this mean assigning a keyword on a set of multipanes selection. You can then reinvoke the command later. Do you understand it that way too ?

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Hi There.

I've been playing with it for a while now and have to say i really like it. Thanks for the great tool

raw text is not available for new command right now but I'll add these for sure. I also need to add some contextual mode selection so that text commands only appear when text is available and file commands only availables when a file is selected. That's should not be a problem anyway.

+1 for me. I think this would allow the user to extend the functionality very quickly and make it much more versatile. Ps tried this and was surprised it almost worked! although it looked up the full path of the shortcut i'd selected :)

2_name=Define
2_workdir=%d
2_command=http://ninjawords.com/%p0
2_args=

here's a few other ideas i think would be great!

* custom icon on the file verbs.
* active HWND in the first pane for window management. I'd love to use it to max, min windows, switch to open windows, close an open window etc.

Also a little question. Do the icons for shortcuts look bad for anyone else? Maybe this is just a windows xp thing. Guess there's nothing you can do about that if it is.

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 04:42 PM »
I've been playing with it for a while now and have to say i really like it. Thanks for the great tool
Thanks  8) !

I could add raw text support but I fear that I'll change the format to support the more flexible rule description as it will give the ability to create 3 pane commands (like [text, appendto, file] , etc... ). That would break all configurations done there. I have to think about this a bit before moving on.

Custom icon on file verb works. Try adding an icon with the same name as your text. This may not last forever, but this works for the moment.

I'll add the hwnd soon. There is a lot of potential for extensions there.

Yes, the icons looks bad because of Windows XP. The support for large icon began with vista, although I might add a way to override the default icons with your own. That way you could have good looking icons for your favorites apps and it would allows for themes too.

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 05:11 PM »
nice, just modified the websites.db to add ninjawords. Then i found i couldn't stop!

"key","display","href","searchHref","icon","bonus"
"NinjaWords","Ninja Words","http://ninjawords.com/","http://ninjawords.com/%q","ninjawords",""
"GoogleNews","Google News","http://news.google.com/news","http://news.google.com/news?q=%q","googlenews",""
"BBCNews","BBC News","http://www.bbc.co.uk...news&go=homepage","http://www.bbc.co.uk...go=homepage&q=%q","bbcnews",""
"Wikipedia","Wikipedia","http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/","http://en.wikipedia....ial:Search?search=%q","wikipedia",""
"GoogleMaps","Google Maps","http://maps.google.com/maps","http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%q","googlemaps",""
"Google","Google","http://google.com","https://www.google.com/#q=%q","google","0"
"Amazon","Amazon","http://amazon.com","http://www.amazon.co...mp;field-keywords=%q","amazon","0"
"YouTube","You Tube","http://www.youtube.com/","http://www.youtube.c...%q&search=Search","youtube",""

feel free to use what you want. for the pngs i just used google images (using qatapult with my new db of course) and saved the nicest look ones.

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 05:35 PM »
thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks  8) !

np - i have tryed them all. Am a big executor and Farr user. I have to say i really like the look and feel of this though. Was always jealous of the mac users and quicksilver! Qatapult looks great.

I could add raw text support but I fear that I'll change the format to support the more flexible rule description as it will give the ability to create 3 pane commands (like [text, appendto, file] , etc... ). That would break all configurations done there. I have to think about this a bit before moving on.

I really think that this would be sweet. In Executor and Farr the ability to pass arguments to a program makes it uber versatile. I have written a ton of very small simple autohotkey complied scripts that do things like change text to UPPERCASE, TitleCase, spellchecking with aspell, move windows, change the volume etc. They all take arguments and it would be cool to be able to use them with qatapult. Also popular apps like everything, locate, foobar, nircmd, googlecl all can be controlled via arguments.

I love the idea of 3 pane command. [current selection, copy file to , destination] [current selection, upload to , youtube] [raw text, post to , facebook]

I think i just wet myself. Sorry - no pressure hehe.

Custom icon on file verb works. Try adding an icon with the same name as your text. This may not last forever, but this works for the moment.

Fricking sweet. Im already looking for PNG's.

I'll add the hwnd soon. There is a lot of potential for extensions there.

cannot wait. I'm no coder but know enough to knock out very simple stuff. Happy for you to use anything i get working.

Yes, the icons looks bad because of Windows XP. The support for large icon began with vista, although I might add a way to override the default icons with your own. That way you could have good looking icons for your favorites apps and it would allows for themes too.

meh. You can only work with what you got. Not a big deal. I guess you could add a column to the startmenu.db and make us winxp uses edit that. After all we deserve the pain and if you make it too easy for us we will be stuck on it for ever.  I'm long overdue upgrading to win 7 as it is so dont worry too much about it. 

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 05:39 PM »
opps - also i nearly forgot. I do notice that the text goes a little funny from time to time and starts showing vertically.

Not sure if want to see.

Personally it doesn't bother me. Just FYI.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6848/funnytextqatapult.png
Qatapult

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 06:21 PM »
I do notice that the text goes a little funny from time to time and starts showing vertically.

I have also seen similar behavior occasionally but I haven't figured out how to reproduce it.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02 PM »
The font I use is arial, and it probably doesn't handle cjk characters. I'll need to give an option to use alternate font so that it works.

Thanks for the explanation.  

I have my fingers crossed that changing the font will get things working :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 09:14 PM »
About the command object : this is very nice. I wasn't sure at first. I understand that this mean assigning a keyword on a set of multipanes selection. You can then reinvoke the command later. Do you understand it that way too ?

Yes. 

IIRC, in QS, the action for invoking a command object was "Run".  I think usage was like:

• Bring up command object in first pane
  • Make "Run" as action in second pane
  • Invoke

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 05:31 AM »
[pigeonlips]
Well done with the db pigeonlips ;). The website source is really subpopulated.

I've seen the vertical text issue too. The Windows gdiplus api that measure the width of text sometimes returns invalid results. I've still to understand how to use it to avoid that issue. It seems to occur on some matches of results and query.

[ewemoa] : I'll add a font selection (at least in the settings ) so that you can confirm that this is ok. It seems to work with less exotic characters, so I suppose it should be ok still.

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 07:18 AM »
Hi,
I've uploaded a new version with a few polishing changes :

- the text now don't display vertically anymore
- the completion don't automatically select the first subfolder
- you don't need to hit the down key twice to browse the results
- results are cleared when you hide the ui, so that it's always clean when you invoke qatapult
- fuzzy matching on some results like on the startmenu items : "moz firx" will match firefox. All characters must be in the name in the correct order to match. That allows to miss a char and still get the correct result.

Nothing fancy, but that's should make Qatapult easier to use.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:51 PM by ecaradec, Reason: Notify about the fuzzy matching feature »

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 03:57 PM »
download the new version but found that it doesn't see to work as well as the last. Heres a few things i've noticed:

>The "email to" and "search with" results seem to get confused in the 3rd pane. More often than not i only see my contacts despite selecting "search for"

> Also i have noticed that if i use "." to free type something say "hello", then esc out of qatapult, then summon it again type a new query say "notepad" move to the second pane, when esc or shift tab back to the first pane the old free text seems to reappear rather than "notepad". This seems erratic and doesn't happen all the time.

> if i over type a contact (i.e. continue typing past a match. eg one contacts called "james" but i type "james sdssfdfsdfsdgsgsgfsdf") in then the last pane then the pane shrinks and gets cut off. It looks like qatapult is resizing back to 2 panes but the lighter blue inlay is still visible in the darker blue border. also hitting down drops down an empty list box so i guess the 3 pane is active just not displayed.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4466/qatapultemailoverrun.jpg
Qatapult

Unrelated to this version there are also a couple of things that make it a little harder to use (for me anyway).

> while i like the use of the "." it would be nice if when using the pane for email i could free type an email address. Unfortunately most all email addresses  have a "." in them somewhere. Maybe have a "." top invoke and then Esc to get out?

> sometimes i'd like to search with something - but i don't get offered the action to do so as it query matches a program or command (ie try a google search for "notepad"). Not sure if it did this with the last version too.

> its not always clear what i have typed. (say i make a typo because im typing to quick. Unless i guess this is what i did and start backspacing)

Still loving the app! :)

Also just started using qatapult to navigate network shares, and its working really well.

Thanks.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Maybe have a "." top invoke and then Esc to get out?

This sounds nice to me.

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 05:42 PM »
I noticed the email and search with bug too. I uploaded a new version that fix that. I broke something in the selection of rules, in the previous version and this was causing a lot of issues. Check if your second issue is gone too, I suspect that it should.

The pane thing looks really bad. Your diagnotic is correct, Qatapult resize to two panes : no rule match anymore, so Qatapult doesn't know how many panes to display. I didn't bother fixing it till know as it's not super easy and is not very fonctionaly annoying, but I will as soon as possible.

I agree the dot is annoying when typing things. I was considering the same solution : use . to enter text mode and then esc to exit, but allows to type . when in text mode.  

The last item result is always the text result. If you want to search notepad on google then type your query and select that last results, it'll give you the text verb. It didn't always appears in older version but this should be ok now. I could also add a ' prefix that would enable text result only.

I also get lost when typing. I'm not sure about what I can do without degrading the look and feel of the ui. May be I could switch to text mode automatically if nothing is typed for a few sec ? I think that QS cancel the search if you wait too long, but I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Thanks for the report  :-*

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 06:41 PM »
I noticed the email and search with bug too. I uploaded a new version that fix that. I broke something in the selection of rules, in the previous version and this was causing a lot of issues.

All fixed here - thanks :)

Check if your second issue is gone too, I suspect that it should.

Still there. Small problem and functionally not to bad. You can always backspace to delete and type again.

The pane thing looks really bad. Your diagnotic is correct, Qatapult resize to two panes : no rule match anymore, so Qatapult doesn't know how many panes to display. I didn't bother fixing it till know as it's not super easy and is not very fonctionaly annoying, but I will as soon as possible.

You could just apply the same principal as the first pane. If the text you type in to the contacts doesn't match any more it turns into a free text field. Seams to me more in line with what a user would expect input wise.

I agree the dot is annoying when typing things. I was considering the same solution : use . to enter text mode and then esc to exit, but allows to type . when in text mode.  

nice

The last item result is always the text result. If you want to search notepad on google then type your query and select that last results, it'll give you the text verb. It didn't always appears in older version but this should be ok now. I could also add a ' prefix that would enable text result only.

nice - didn't Know that. Now with the fuzzy logic there's a lot more to scroll through - but nothing the "end" wont solve :)

A prefix sounds sweet. I'd love that. Some logical choices (to me at any rate) are
quote ie "
or the ? symbol
or the + symbol
or the = symbol

I also get lost when typing. I'm not sure about what I can do without degrading the look and feel of the ui.

How using the [ label / caption ] control at the top (where the indexing progress appears that records and displays what you are typing) or bottom where the path is when you are using the file browsing functionality.  You could always make this control dbl up as a helpful hint for other text you want to show off. Some examples might be:

"press ESC to go back" in free text mode.

"Begin typing" if qatapult has nothing selected. Or display the time and date. or qatapult version etc - you preference. Maybe even "new version avalible hehe

"press end to use text as verb" when match list is longer that say 10 or whatever comfortably fits on the screen.

May be I could switch to text mode automatically if nothing is typed for a few sec ? I think that QS cancel the search if you wait too long, but I'm not sure if I like it or not.

personal preference, is that i hate things doing something without my input but that might be just me.

Thanks for the report 

A pleasure. Thanks for the app and the quick turnaround on posts!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:49 PM by pigeonlips »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 07:13 PM »
May be I could switch to text mode automatically if nothing is typed for a few sec ? I think that QS cancel the search if you wait too long, but I'm not sure if I like it or not.

personal preference, is that i hate things doing something without my input but that might be just me.

I'm with pigeonlips on this.

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Here is a bug fix version :
- It  fixes the issue that displayed incorrect results to popup. It happened when you typed extraneous tab.
- The missing pane bug should be fixed too. It'll display an empty result if there are no other results left now.

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Nice - Does what it says on the tin! both working as you describe.

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 03:48 PM »
Howdy.

I'm just playing around with the settings.ini file. I'm trying to add a few more verbs. Is there any way to add a verb that shows up when theres no match for a indexed item?

Here's one i'm trying:

[FileVerbs]
2_name=run on command line
2_workdir=%d
2_command=cmd
2_args=/K "%p0"

This seems to work but only if theres a match in the first pane. So if i type in "DIR" i get matches as there's other stuff in the Start menu that almost match, then i can run my verb and as expected it opens a command prompt and runs the command "DIR". But if i try anything more elaborate say "echo this and that" as theres no match in the first pane i only get the verbs (is that what the middle pane is called?) i get are email and "search with"

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 03:53 PM »
I've completed a first version that support user defined rules. Rules are the way you can define new multipanes commands. I've converted the old verb customisation to this, as this is much more flexible. Here is an example :

[rule_0]
0_arg=FILE
1_lbl=Cmd here
1_ico=icons\command.png
cmd=cmd.exe
args=
workdir=$0.directory

The configuration still has to be done via the ini file for the moment. Here is how it works :
- Firstly define a new [rule] block and give it a number starting from 0

- Then you can set two kinds of things :
    - a (x)_arg parameter to decide that the x parameter is of some predefined type. Useful predefined types right now are : FILE, CONTACT, CLOCK, WEBSITE and TEXT
    OR
    - a (x)_lbl + (x)_ico pair to add a custom word with an icon. You'll usually use those to put a verb

- Then define a cmd, args and a workdir. In those 3 fields you can use variables to access the values of the panes. The syntax for this is : $(pane_nb).(value). pane_nb can be any number from 0 to rule length (1 or 2 under the current ability of the UI ) . 'value' is the interesting thing : you can access any value that compose a type. For a FILE you can access path, directory, filename; For a CONTACT you can access display and email; For a WEBSITE you can get display, href, searchHref, icon; For a TEXT you can get text; CLOCK doesn't return anything yet, but it would probably time something.

@pigeonlips : don't invest too much on file verbs, tell me what you think about this ;).

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 05:42 PM »
what am i doing wrong? It displays fine but when i invoke nothing happens?
[FileVerbs]
count=2
0_name=Cmd here
0_workdir=%d
0_command=cmd
0_args=
1_name=Explore here
1_workdir=%d
1_command=explorer
1_args=/e,/root,"%d"
[rule_0]
0_arg=TEXT
1_lbl=run on command line
1_ico=icons\terminal.png
cmd=cmd
args=/K "$0.text"
workdir=%d
[SearchFolders]
count=2

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 06:09 PM »
The following worked for me:

[QSLLContacts]
accessToken=
refreshToken=
email=
username=
password=
server=smtp

[rule_0]
0_arg=TEXT
1_lbl=run on command line
1_ico=icons\terminal.png
cmd=cmd.exe
args=/K "$0.text"
workdir=%d

However, pressing tab once I typed text in the first pane seemed to cause something I didn't want to be selected as the value for the first pane (e.g. try "explorer").

A flow that worked for me was:

• Bring up Qatapult's window
  • Press . to enter text mode
  • Type in text (e.g. dir or explorer)
  • Press the escape key
  • Press down arrow and then the page down key to select the last item from candidates
  • Press tab to select the second pane
  • Press the page down key to select "run on command line"
  • Press Enter

On a side note, for entering text mode, I wonder if choosing a key that corresponds to something either not used or infrequently used in file paths would be doable.  Another aspect to consider might be if it can be typed under many key arrangements without having to press any modifiers such as Shift.

The only two such keys for the keyboard layout here that Windows Explorer complains about when renaming files are the slash and the backslash...The former is likely to be used in URLs while the latter is likely to be used in Windows paths.

I think this might be a point in favor of going for pigeonlips' suggestion concerning using the escape key to exit from text mode.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:44 PM by ewemoa »

pigeonlips

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 06:34 PM »
still nothing for me. Glad its working for someone. lol.

Maybe its a windows xp thing, or maybe its me being lame and missing something!

I love the idea. Carnt wait to figure it out.....

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 06:42 PM »
pigeonlips:

I started from a fresh settings.ini generated by the newest Qatapult download.  I got the sense from what you posted that it was a modification of a settings.ini generated by an older Qatapult (e.g. reference to FileVerbs) -- may be the newest Qatapult doesn't handle some of the older settings-related info?

It's true that I tested on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit -- so not XP.