Hum, hum, I think that I went a bit too fast with the window thing. I really should not display the hidden windows AND check against upper case characters AND make search fuzzy. That's what happens when you develop without thinking. On the positive side, adding source is really simple now if the data are easy to get.
I love how quick its moving. A half baked feature is great because i get to play with it and see where your going with it safe in the knowledge that its early days and before long the half baked feature is working great!
Thanks for letting us play along!
Quote from: ecaradec on Today at 05:42:26 AM
The other thing that is starting to annoy me is that all the types tends to land into the first pane. Do you know how QS used to solve that ?
What I recall at the moment is:
Encourage people not to add too much to the Catalog -- by limiting the number of sources and how many items each source contained. For example, if there were a source for a folder, scan depth was one of the configurable properties (see pages 120-121 and 27-30 in the manual).
Another item was to apply "right-arrowing" into certain objects:
Not sure if i follow. Do you mean limit the results in the first pane by context? I use Linux at home and there's an app called synapse thats my default lanucher of choice. This has a clever way of filtering the results by using the arrows to move between object types (see the link. Left and Right move the results to the "Actions, Audio, Applications, all, places, documents, images, web"http://www.webupd8.o...leased-with-new.htmlhttp://lifehacker.co...n-launcher-for-linux
I always thought this was nice. I especially liked how the ui handled this. Also prior to qatapult, i also liked FARR's way of using prefix +pics for example. In FARR you have to set these up yourself which i like for the power, and in synapse the defaults are good and you can use straight out the box. Its simple too which is great for new users.
If it where up to me (which its not) I would go for both of the above! Long term: provide a good set of defaults and make them very configurable. Also retain the prefix thing (say +audio) then the user doesn't have to hit left 4 or 5 times to get the result set they want. Make the settings GUI include a "pin to gui" for you 5 favorite contexts all the prefix to be user editable IE
Filter rule Filter name Filter prefix Pin to GUI
--------------------- ----------------- -------------- -------------------
[*.mp3,*.ogg, *.wav] audio +audio true
[http://*,www.*] web +web true
This all said, I get the impression (and think i read somewhere) that your trying to keep this as close to quicksilver as possible. If this is the plan, don't feel bad for ignoring my suggestions. I have never used QS so i really can not comment and if this is the way your going then its good that there's a clear vision. Also everyone i know thats ever used a Mac loves QS so it cannot be a bad thing!
I noticed too that the reload and quit seems to be slightly unreliable, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I'm stopping the indexing thread to reload and quit now. I suppose that something is preventing the thread to stop here.I confirmed that "Reload" and "Quit" were much slower on an XP machine. They did eventually work, but at the speed I was experiencing, I think I'd end up opting to terminate the process and start it manually. I have been lucky under Windows 7 so far and haven't noticed any problems with speed for "Reload" / "Quit".
I have access to a very large number of networked drives. Its forever indexing. I like this feature though so this is not a gripe. It does makes perfect sense in terms of the restart. Also i have the patience of a ant so if something doesn't happen sub second i usually move to the task manager.
For the sound thing, I think you might use the nircmd thing. It seems to handle the win7/vista sound system properly.
there's a ton of ways to skin that cat. nircmd is great idea. there's a ton of things you can do with this. I say keep working on the core qatapult and allow users to create plugins for this stuff. I haven't tried to hard with the plugins just yet as i was mostly concerned with porting over all the nice features i used from other apps. I personally am more than happy for you to bundle/reuse/modify anything i get working.
incase its handy (from NIRCMD):
setvolume [device] [left-volume] [right-volume]
Set the volume level of your sound device. The [device] parameter represents the device identifier. In most cases, you should use '0' value for this parameter. Under Windows Vista, you should specify 0 for default playback device or 1 for default recording device.
The [left-volume] and [right-volume] parameters should contain a value between 0 (silence) and 65535 (full volume) that represents the volume level for left and right channels.
setvolume 0 0 0
setvolume 0 32768 32768
setvolume 0 0xffff 0
I agree that the xml format is less readable than the .ini thing. That was one of my grip with xml. I might remove the item thing if you have a single verb to make the thing more readable :
But multi-elements pretty much require it, I'm not sure that this is a good idea.
I think your right. Leave it. One day i'm sure you'll have a nice GUI and therefore it wont matter so much. I just got confused with the args tag all over the place. Once i understand it - i dont mind what its called.
Maybe just change the name of the args to <object> <verb> ..... or whatever terminological your using.
Ps i like you can get more than 3 panes. I know you might not want this, but i'm sure it will come in handy for me so time in the future.