topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Kopimism - a newly-formalised religion  (Read 16131 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kopimism - a newly-formalised religion
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 09:08 PM »
@Ren - It's "turtles all the way down" if you ask me.  :huh:

Like my grandfather used to say: Everybody lies about sex and religion.  8)

Pretty much~! :)

I think one of my absolute favourite quotes from anyone, ever, is from the Bible - John 18:38 - Pontius Pilate:

What is truth?

http://en.wikipedia....iki/What_is_truth%3F

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... This sentence is false. :P

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Hmm...I think I'm going to go back to declaring myself a Rasta-Judeo-Presbyterian-Islamic-Taoist-Bhuddist-Wiccan. And maybe do a quick LLC filing for a new faith-based organization. Something like The First Congregation of the Divine Revelation and Celestial Harmony. (Which resonates at 40hz in the frequency spectrum - in case you hadn't already guessed. :P)
  Cults are soooo easy to set up...8)

That way I can (at my discretion) take offense at anything anybody says or does to me - and demand protection under constitutional and international law.

So...anybody interested in becoming a member of my new clergy? Reasonable rates! And, this month only, we're running a special on elevations to the rank of bishop. 50% off through January 31, 2012. 

Don't delay! ;D

Ha!  Very cool!

Count me in...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Super Bishop does have a nice ring to it...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 10:59 PM »
The word religion makes me shudder.
Because of the potential for trouble.
Understandable, that, but it does not make me shudder in anticipation of potential trouble. It rather makes my ears prick up though.
I was taught at an early age (by my mother) to consider that the real enemies of humanity were those "things" that frustrated our ability to think rationally. She explained that those "things" would help us to find irrational substantiation for acts making all manner of trouble for others - and that those "things" appear to be naturally within us in the form of a subconsciously-held triumvirate consisting of:
  • ignorance,
  • stupidity and
  • bigotry.

We are born into this state. Everything we say and do is potentially crawling with these things, disabling our ability for critical thinking, and locked into our paradigms - which latter act as a distorting lens through which we think and perceive "reality".

No-one has a monopoly on these three, but you can invariably see them at play in most/all religions and religious beliefs and religio-political ideologies in general, and in the statements that people make regarding these things.
Which was why my mother encouraged me to read and "find out for myself" about religion and the various religio-political ideologies, because that was where I would come face-to-face with the enemy of reason.
So, that's why I said:
It rather makes my ears prick up though.

We all need to be wary if an enemy is about.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 04:12 AM »
I'm not afraid, just been watchful.
Yes, think rationally, good point IainB.
Maybe 'shudder' doesn't communicate what I really think.

Too often stamping 'religion' on something,
takes accountability away, opening up the potential for abuse.
In tactics used, people used and unintended consequences,
as 40hz pointed out.

And I'm not anti-religion,
more like a canary in a coal mine.
Cause I am involved in religions.

Maybe I'm way off topic,
or not.
I use the net almost every day.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Well, I learned a lot from this (below), so it might be of use to you if you feel somewhat trapped by circumstances:
Prisoned From The Cradle To The Grave
- Author: H.G.  Wells (from "The History of Mr.Polly")

from Chapter 9 - The Potwell Inn
But when a man has once broken through the paper walls of everyday circumstance, those unsubstantial walls that hold so many of us securely prisoned from the cradle to the grave, he has made a discovery.  If the world does not please you, you can change it.  Determine to alter it at any price, and you can change it altogether.  You may change it to something sinister and angry, to something appalling, but it may be you will change it to something brighter, something more agreeable, and at the worst something much more interesting.  There is only one sort of man who is absolutely to blame for his own misery, and that is the man who finds life dull and dreary.  There are no circumstances in the world that determined action cannot alter, unless, perhaps, they are the walls of a prison cell, and even those will dissolve and change, I am told, into the infirmary compartment, at any rate, for the man who can fast with resolution.
Tearing through paper wall - fingers and eye.jpg

Not without some risk, some years ago I changed my life to something brighter, something more agreeable, and something much more interesting.

The creation of Kopimism is along these lines - the creation of what could become an enjoyable and more interesting reality to fight back against the oppressive reality created to enslave us by the RIAA/MAFIAA DRM brigade.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:46 PM by IainB »