topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Alias sharing  (Read 50508 times)

jsturtridge

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alias sharing
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 07:34 AM »
Here's one that processes IP addresses:
1000>>>IP address>->Reverse DNS via demon.net of $$1 | http://www.demon.net...i-bin/netToolIP.cgi?$$1>n>Reverse DNS via ripe.net of $$1 | http://www.ripe.net/...ing=&searchtext=$$1>n>Telnet to $$1 | c:\windows\system32\telnet.exe $$1>n>Ping -t $$1 | c:\windows\system32\ping.exe -t $$1>+>([0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3})>ro>

And one that does stuff using UK postal codes
1000>>>UK Postcodes>->Google Map UK $$1 | http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=$$1>n>Streetmap $$1 | http://www.streetmap.../newsearch.srf?name=$$1>n>MetCheck $$1 | http://www.metcheck....E/today.asp?zipcode=$$1>+>^([A-PR-UWYZ0-9][A-HK-Y0-9][AEHMNPRTVXY0-9]?[ABEHMNPRVWXY0-9]? {1,2}[0-9][ABD-HJLN-UW-Z]{2}|GIR 0AA)$

Jon.

Liquidmantis

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 07:48 AM »
this sounds quite intriguing, i'll have to try it and see how it works since i've never used ff keywords.

Here's a list of the default Quick Searches that use keywords.  Of course you can also add your own keywords to just bookmarks or other personal quick searches.

The script may require a little tweaking with the sleep timers.  I just put that together last night and dialed them in to work on my laptop.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 10:19 AM »
Metacritic.com, general keyword search:
1000>>>metacritic>->metacritic - $$1 | http://www.metacriti...termType=all&ts=$$1&ty=0>+>metacri(?:|t|ti|tic) (.*)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 06:19 PM »
(hope that this is the right place to post that...)

I like justice AHK script and use it often. (Thanks man!) Farr seems to me as the ideal alt-tab companion, or even replacement

As I wrote on the Switcher2: Expose Clone (Window Arranger) for Windows thread

IMO, Farr could become a full-blown task switcher (it's already been mentioned several times) which would  list all applications, the way we want it, etc., etc.. Farr being the central interface to deal with programs seems pretty logical to me. There's already the Switch To Task, an AHK script by Justice. The problem is if you don't remember the title bar name of the app. you want to switch too...
…it’s a bit problematic.

And later, in the middle of a very deep and cerebral conversation with darwin :

I agree with your comment about the resource/functionality ratio. That's why I believe that using farr as a task switcher-manager would be very appropriate. One app to rule them all...

and, even later :

by the way, Mouser... I know v2 is imminently pending, and I also know that this suggestion has been talked about in the past, but... has the "farr as an alt-tab replacement" been considered?

... :) So?

What about an "alt-tab" plug-in?

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 05:08 AM »
that's a very good idea

launchy has this feature thanks to a plugin : go-y
and i can say i used it (when i was a launchy user, that is  :D)

Nitrix

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 05:02 PM »
*shrugs*

I suppose it could be a good idea, but it should provide something different from Alt-Tab in Windows to avoid reinventing the wheel. How about the possibility of change between all apps currently running, including those which reside in the system tray? I know some task managers currently provide this functionality, showing all windows "drew" by Windows, and allowing to bring to the front those which are hidden, including app in the systray. And it could be even better if it showed thumbnails of the software! (tricky)

Also, another suggestion. Some of these aliases are interesting, so I vote for merging the most useful in the main FARR installation, or provide an "alias" page to complement the future "plugins" page for FARR.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 12:20 AM »
I don't think it would be reinventing the wheel — farr would bring features you don,t find in other task switchers (like digit keys/f# keys to launch results, search as you type, etc.). Also, of farr could replace the alt-tab feature, it would bring more coherence to the whole task management thing in windows. Why should we have to hit alt-tab and use a certain interface to switch between windows/tasks, alt-space to launch an app with yet another interface (farr), etc.? Not that it's a bad idea per se, but I like the idea of a central interface to manage windows/tasks… Dunno… seems sexier to me  ;)
Hit alt tab (or whatever) and farr appears with a list of windows, press a number and bam. Or start typing, press a number and bam. Of course, there could be options to have tasks appear in a certain order, grouped by titles, application, etc. There could be an option to give custom names to the different windows (potentially useful if you're working with several windows having similar titles)... Anyway... The usual alt-tab replacement features... + some more and farr's own special features!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 03:54 AM »
How about the possibility of change between all apps currently running, including those which reside in the system tray? I know some task managers currently provide this functionality, showing all windows "drew" by Windows, and allowing to bring to the front those which are hidden, including app in the systray.

If that's done, I think showing hidden windows should be optional.  If I run ShoWin originall by Robin Keir and now owned by Foundstone, I find a  load of invisible windows that aren't immediately helpful.  For example, I run Magic Notes sticky notes program, which turns out to make all its notes hidden windows.  I wouldn't want FARR to find those by default.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56 AM »
I suppose some method could be devised to show only those ones with an actual working window, that is, those which are minimized to the system tray (foobar2000, XMPlay, µTorrent and such).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:41 PM by Lashiec »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 12:49 AM »
Bump!

Don't forget to share your farr aliases here !  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 02:21 AM »
Just a note that the new preferred way to share aliases is to attach a .alias file, rather than using the old >>> style pasting.

mysteryman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 04:03 AM »
This was posted to another topic already. I modified it to make it more spiffy (thats a technical term :).

Somone from the other thread mentioned it would be good to post it here too; so here is a package tracking alias. It searches ups, fedex, dhl, and usps AND will (let me know if it doesn't) parse the tracking numbers automatically, so the alias prefixes are optional.

EDIT: forgot the file... must be tired
EDIT: new version, has icons thanks hamradio
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 03:11 PM by mysteryman »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Search SQLnotes Forum... Of course, this can be used to search any specific web site with google -- just modify the "http://www.sqlnotes.net/Forums/" address in the alias.

Performatted alias (for pasting in the alias window, with the "import preformatted alias" option in the context menu) :

1000>>>"Search SQLNotes Forum">->Google - $$1 | http://www.google.com/search?q=$$1 site:http://www.sqlnotes.net/Forums/ /ICON=icons\google.ico>+>^searchsqln (.*)

you can also download the alias as an *.alias file (see attached alias) and put it in your personal alias folder, in Farr's folder (usually : C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\MyCustom\).

write "searchsqln " (with a space) to use. You can edit the RegEx, of course, in the alias window. I use "searchsqln " just because it fits my current setup etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:16 PM by Armando »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2008, 06:51 PM »
Here's an alias for jumping straight to some point in the registry in RegEdit. It requires the freeware Regjump from SysInternals/Microsoft ( http://www.microsoft...laneous/Regjump.mspx ).

1. Download Regjump and put regjump.exe in the Helpers folder in the FARR directory (example: C:\program files\FindAndRunRobot\Helpers\regjump.exe ).
2. import this alias into FARR:
1000>>>regjump>->Regjump - $$1 | Helpers/regjump.exe $$1>+>^regj(?:|u|um|ump) (.*)
3. type regjump _________
where ____ is some registry path. Example: regjump HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft

(I haven't learned how to make .alias files yet so the import code above will have to do, sorry)
(Mouser, is the Helper folder intended for extra programs like this? Or is some other location better?)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2008, 08:59 PM »
(Mouser, is the Helper folder intended for extra programs like this? Or is some other location better?)

with the new use of alias files, the best thing would probably be to make a subdirectory with your alias file, a custom icon, and the regjump.exe.  that way it's a totally self-contained thing.  then a user can just unzip it into the Installed alias directory and they are all set.

See here for an example: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9365.0

macs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Attached are a set of aliases for users in the UK. I started this set to add UK sites to FARR's core aliases.

For example this set adds maps.google.co.uk to the maps Search alias. This ensures a search for say Reading returns Reading, Berkshire rather than Reading, PA.

As well as additions to the FARR's core aliases I have added a couple of other sets (newspapers and weather) for UK sites.

Just unzip the file and put the UK direction under AliasGroups\MyCustom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 02:11 PM »
wonderful.  thank you for sharing that.  with icons and everything, very cool.  :up:

Two small optional things:
  • Your readme says to unpack in the AliasGroups\MyCustom folder.  I think the best practice is for the people who create the alias groups to keep them in their MyCustom subfolder, but for all other people to put them in the AliasGroups\Installed subfolder.  The idea being that the MyCustom is for your own created alias files that you want complete control over and will never update from the web, wheras the Installed subfolder is for an alias pack you expect might be upgraded by a new release from the author.  This is assumed by FARR which will not let you edit aliases in the Installed subdirectory (other than to disable them).  Hope the idea is clear now, i know it's a bit confusing.
  • If you would like webspace to host the alias pack and your own little page on it and other stuff just ask.  You could then make a .dcupdate file for this alias pack so you could automatically provide updated versions when you wanted.  Just a idea.

ps. Welcome to the site, great first post  :-*

macs

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement.

• When I update the pack then I'll update the instructions to put it into the Installed folder
  • As to webspace I assume this means I'd just put the link to the file into any posts and everybody then always gets the latest version. If so this seems a good idea and I'm happy to go ahead with this (though I might need a few pointers to get it all working!)