topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: text editor with 'hyperlinks'? simple local wiki? [TiddlyWiki]  (Read 10220 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I need to organize a lot of (simple) text in a way where navigating within one document won't becomes a mess anymore. Scrolling up and down and just using the search to jump around doesn't work well here (>2000 lines of text) anymore. ;)

If I recall correctly I once read about an approach where you can add internal 'hyperlinks' in a simple text editor: like adding an overview somewhere in the file with simple links that jump to a given paragraph. And next to that paragraph you can add a link back to the overview.

Any ideas? I still need to be able to update the text easily, so creating a PDF won't work for example. Since this solution has to work offline, would some simple kind of local wiki work? (I just recalled that in wikipedia you could simply use "== XYZ ==" to create such links (as headlines).) Which wiki is free and easy to install, easy to use? The only feature I probably need is an ability to adjust the font size (in the editor and when viewing the result).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:50 AM by brotherS »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: text editor with 'hyperlinks'? simple wiki? (local, not online)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 06:13 AM »
Yes several PIM wikis or ToDo wkis use hyperlinks like this. I think you need to take a suck-it-and-see approach and try them out to find one that suits your needs best.
MS OneNote uses hyperlinks too, as a possible item of interest.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:21 AM »
I used Google again to look for alternatives and am now trying http://www.tiddlywiki.com/ - seems to be most easy of 'em all to install, because you basically just - locally - edit the wiki, which is a rather simple html file in your browser. No need to install Apache first.  :Thmbsup:

Its concept is quite different from Wikipedia, so let's see if I can get used to it.  :-[

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04 AM »
ZuluPad is cheap, easy, and has simple online syncing if you need it.  The original ZuluPad is open source, but I'd go for the pro version- it's only $15 (I paid full price in spite of a DC discount at the time)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:41 AM »
AllMyNotes will allow you to include links to web sites or local files.
Version 2.52 introduced drag and drop links from a file manager.  It has helped me with organizing my local files.  There is a free version, currently a 15% discount for pro on their website and it has also been featured on BitsDuJour from time to time.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Word can do it. It's also a standard format that anyone can use. You can likely do it in Libre Office as well.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

monqs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:20 AM »
I have used TreePad for just this purpose for the last number of years.  I started off with TreePad Lite which is free and text only and then bought TreePad Biz which allows the use of text formatting, tables and image insertion.  It is not updated very often and is a small bit dated looking, but whilst I have tried out some of its competitors I have stayed with TreePad because of its very useful hyperlinked Table of Contents which can be quickly generated for different levels of the document.

I can export my TreePad files to MobiReader for use on my mobile phone e.g. I set up my own hyperlinked travel guides when we go on holidays.

DerekHal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 06:25 AM »
If you have the time and interest, there's a wiki comparison website at:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 06:49 AM »
If you have the time and interest, there's a wiki comparison website at:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/
I was wondering why you mentioned "time" until I tried their (pretty cool) Wiki Choice Wizard:

Thats it!

Okay. You want some installable software with is Free and Open Source.

The following 95 Wikis match your criteria:

Anwiki, Banana Dance, bitweaver, BlueSpice, BoltWire, BusinessWiki, ButorWiki, CanvasWiki, Corendal Wiki, Daisy, DokuWiki, ErfurtWiki, FlexWiki, Foswiki, Friki, Gazest, GeboGebo, GeniusWiki, giewiki, Giki, Git-Wiki, gitit, GWiki, Hatta, IkeWiki, ikiwiki, iKnow - a tiny wiki, Instiki, Jacwiki, JAMWiki, JaWiki, JOTWiki, JSPWiki, KeheiWiki, KeiSpade, KWikiKWiki, LionWiki, Luminotes, LunaWiki, MediaWiki, MicKI, Midgard Wiki, MindTouch, miniWiki, MoinMoin, MojoMojo, MoniWiki, Oddmuse, OpenWikiNG, PageWork, Personal PPC Wiki, PhpWiki, Pier, Pimki, PmWiki, PodWiki, ProntoWiki, ProWiki, PukiWiki, Riki, ScrewTurn Wiki, SMW plus, Sputnik, SubWiki, Sycamore, TiddlyWiki, Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware, TracWiki, Triki-Wiki, TWiki, UniWakka, UseMod, VQWiki, WackoWiki, Wagn, Wala Wiki, Wicked, Wiclear, WiGit, Wikepage, Wiki CSharp .NET, Wiki on a Stick, Wiki-Toolkit, WikiASP, WikiCrowd, Wikidot, WikiNi, WikiSH, WikkaWiki, WikyBlog, wxWikiServer, XoWiki, XWiki, yawiki and Zwiki
95!!! :o :D

Guess I'll use TiddlyWiki. It's ...
  • in that list
  • free
  • well supported, e.g. @ http://groups.google...oup/TiddlyWiki?pli=1 (wow, 55218 messages)
  • completely contained in ONE html file (so I can use it on a mobile computer with ease) and
  • probably rather future-proof because of the high amount of people using it

Thanks to everybody who posted suggestions! :)