topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RegMerge - Import REG files safely and selectively, or compare their content  (Read 18028 times)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
RegMerge

This utility is in early alpha, so use with extreme caution. Do not use unless you have backed up your registry hives, and understand any and all risks are yours. This is an advanced utility, and as such, you can screw up your system if you don't know what you are doing. Please see full EULA when you run the program. There is no installer or shell integration set up, yet. 32-bit and 64-bit builds are separate at this time, though I will unify them into one distribution that runs the appropriate EXE.

RegMerge is a simply FREEWARE utility I developed a month or two ago, and have some updates pending for. I'll issue them as soon as I can. Mouser encouraged me to post about this program on this site. I do accept donationcoder credits here, as a supporter of this site.

DonationCoder support pledge: I have pledged to start issuing more freeware on this site when mouser gets the framework finished to facilitate the type of multi-author stuff I need, which isn't much now that I think about it -- but he has plans.

http://bitsum.com/regmerge.php

Here's what it does:

• Import REG files Safely - Instead of wondering what a REG file will change, or if it is even different than your current registry, you can now see what it will change and selectively apply portions of it, or all of it.
  • Compare/Diff -You can export REG files (via RegEdit right-click), then compare your registry to that of another system, or an earlier state of your own system. By doing so you can determine likely causes of problems.
  • Load up multiple REG files - Load up all the REG files you want at once

The original goal was to simply not have people blindly importing .REG files found on the net in attempts to fix problems -- as you may cause more than you fix. However, it also has other uses, such as comparing your registry with that of another PC, or your own PC in an earlier state, to help diagnose problems.

REGMERGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR ADVANCED USERS

regmerge.png
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:32 AM by db90h »

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
.. hit the wrong button, or Modification link is broken. Most likely the former ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I only mess with the registry very occasionally, but will try this next time round, thanks!

.. hit the wrong button, or Modification link is broken. Most likely the former ;)

the modification button seems to be sometimes broken (only on first post of thread i think). Dont think it's been officially reported but I've seen it happen a few times now in the last weeks (duplicate post created when modified).
Tom

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the modification button seems to be sometimes broken (only on first post of thread i think). Dont think it's been officially reported but I've seen it happen a few times now in the last weeks (duplicate post created when modified).

Good to hear, because as a notorious post-editor, I had this problem like 3 times now... and had just assumed I mis-clicked, but ;o. I'm sure mouser will fix it now that he knows, assuming I didn't mis-click all those times (which is possible).

EDIT: I was able to edit the first post just now.. so I dunno, maybe more variables to the bug, *if* it is one.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice, but why didn't you enter this for NANY2012? :huh:

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, great application, nice features (and I have a use for all of them) :)

Well done!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Looks very useful  :up: :up:

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice, but why didn't you enter this for NANY2012? :huh:

Mouser told me to, but I am so busy right now with other things (I published this a month or two ago, but didn't announce it) that I didn't take the time to fully read what it entails and such, and .. well, I just wanted to throw it out there .... Also, for all I know, I'll be dead by Jan 1 ;p.

I DO have an update for it *almost* ready, drag and drop support to drop REG files into it and an installer that bundles the 32-bit and 64-bit builds into one and registers a shell association with .REG files. However, gotta finish that up and get it on out. After that, and testing, it's 1.0 afaik. I mean, sure, I could add more features, but it's a simple thing, and should stay that way.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:14 AM by db90h »

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I do have other freeware I could throw into NANY.. if I'm around on Dec 31st (and, God willing, I will be), I'll *try* to submit an even cooler piece of freeware ;). I have a backlog of like 10 really cool freeware projects.. Well, ok, cool to me.. lol.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:21 AM by db90h »

pencoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looks very useful  :up: :up:
+1  :up:  :)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks guys, that is very nice of you. I hope it works well for you. I was testing with entire hive dumps, so it should relatively ok. This motivates me to give it a check for bugs and finish, but 'my day job' first ;o... then I gotta get that new version out.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Reshared at G+ to give DC some publicity: https://plus.google....57/posts/1oBNTmBwLs9

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very nice utility; this one is going in the toolbox.   :Thmbsup:  One suggestion/correction, if I may.  At the top right, you have the following text:

This system differs from the loaded REG file in the ways:

I think you may have meant to put "in the following ways:"

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very nice utility; this one is going in the toolbox.   :Thmbsup:  One suggestion/correction, if I may.  At the top right, you have the following text:

This system differs from the loaded REG file in the ways:

I think you may have meant to put "in the following ways:"

EDIT: Went to fix, but that is an old screenshot, already fixed (through removal)

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So, anybody used this yet? Did it work for you ok? I intend to update it soon, have to take care of paying my rent stuff first, then this is up for finalization.