topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Request for more delay options in right click menu  (Read 6154 times)

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Request for more delay options in right click menu
« on: March 27, 2013, 04:06 AM »
I'm very used to having a right click menu option to select from 3 different time delays for a screen capture. (0,5,30).

I'd like to ask if this is already possible (to have multiple time delays). Having additional "quick settings" in the "Capture Options" submenu would also be OK, although I confess I prefer a one click option  :-[

Because I'm running 1920x108 on a 15.5" display, I have a little trouble seeing the red dashed lines when capturing a screen segment. Is there a way to make these dashed lines much thicker? I've looked at all the options, and I didn't see a way to change the thickness. I did see a couple places where the color could be changed. Apologies if I've missed an option setting.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Request for more delay options in right click menu
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:32 AM »
I almost removed the delay capture stuff from the menus completely -- it's getting harder for me to imagine a case when you really need a delayed capture -- can you explain why you might need to use that so i can better understand the usage scenarios?

regarding the dashed lines when doing a selection capture -- there is no option to make them bigger, though there is an options tab for them (See "Selection Capture Options" tab), so I could add such a thing..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 06:35 AM »
By the way -- there are occasionally times when I might have used a delay option to capture some unusual things that didn't react well to hotkeys being pressed -- but now for that I use my new Easy Screencast Recorder tool interfaced with Screenshot Captor -- that lets me capture a continuous video for the period and then extract the frames I need.  Takes a bit more time to set up since you'll want to install a lossless codec for best quality, but it does work very well and saves the hassle of trying to get the capture timing just right.

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:45 AM »
Perhaps I don't have enough experience with your program yet. But, in all the other screen capture programs that I use, it's impossible to capture the drop down menus, which disappear automatically when program focus changes to another program.

OK... I've just tried, and I don't see a way to capture the menu with your program either. (Pull down "File" menu on Firefox/Chrome/... and then start a screen capture manually (not automatically).

Also, positioning of the mouse so that it "points" to the exact sub-menu item that I want to emphasize when sending a quick "how to" to friends, etc. sometimes can take more than 5 seconds. For example, how to get the "Share Link" on a dropbox file, by right clicking on the file, then moving mouse over to "Dropbox", and then to the correct submenu... I have a large right click menu! (attached).

My other program "PrtScr" has a 5 second delay, so I'm familiar with how much I can "set up" within 5 seconds!  haha. Sometimes it isn't quite enough time, depending upon the complexity of mouse movements needed.

Screen movies would be overkill in all of these situations.

I suppose I could always do a full screen PrtScr key and then edit, but that seems to be MORE work, not less.

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:47 AM »
(See "Selection Capture Options" tab),

Yes, I had seen that before writing, thanks.

I will also try your screen recorder. But, that seems a lot more steps, when now I can just capture a portion of the screen, save and attach to an email.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:36 AM »
What kind of capture are you triggering? An "Active Window" capture?

You say "I suppose I could always do a full screen PrtScr key and then edit, but that seems to be MORE work, not less." so I know its not a full screen capture..

But let's step back and address what you're really trying to do:

If capturing the ACTIVE window with menu showing is what you want to do, the problem is the ALT key, which is by default tied to the active window capture..  If you simply reconfigure Ctrl+PrtScr to perform an active window capture, it shouldn't close up your menu.

Now if you want to capture JUST the menu, then you can use SC's object-capture mode.

So rather than get hung up on delay settings -- let's see if we can't help you do what you want to do in the most efficient way..

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I will try your suggestions, perhaps tomorrow. It's getting late here.

However, I've attached a quick screen capture of an example... 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49 AM »
Ah.. so you mean to do a SELECTED REGION (using crosshairs to select region at time of capture) capture, with the menu showing.. Indeed if you're dead set on not just capturing screen and capturing after the fact (which is always my recommendation), then a delay is what you have to use.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I was thinking 'fixed size region' ctrl+alt+prtscr.
Without a delay, it will start where the mouse pointer is.
And it will not kill the drop down menu when the focus changes to the cross-hairs.
My fixed size region is set to 640x480.
Under advanced tweaking-My Favorites.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 03:55 PM »
I used use the delayed capture option occasionally but havent in a while (just noticed yesterday that it's gone from the tray context menu).
Capturing a full screen and editing after is very quick and easy. A selection box automatically selects the active window. This can be easily and accurately adjusted.

Here's my cropped screenshot:

Screenshot - 2013-03-27 , 21_44_20.pngRequest for more delay options in right click menu

and below the main part of the SC window. In the box bottom-left, you can see a pixel accurate enlargement of where the cross-hairs are,
making it very easy to select an area accurately for cropping:

Screenshot - 2013-03-27 , 21_50_14.pngRequest for more delay options in right click menu
Tom