topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Captor Badly Needs to Interface Well with an Uploader - SOLVED  (Read 4997 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This issue has been solved and the thread closed.  To discuss further please use this thread.

It's clear that people want to be able to easily upload screenshots to image sites, ftp servers, etc., in an easy way.
I'd really rather avoid writing one from scratch, but i'm willing to write some custom code to interface with an existing generic free uploader tool that supports different sites.
I'd appreciate suggestions and help locating and testing such tools. The requirements are:
  • They need to support a queue of files.
  • They need to support many common destination sites (image upload sites, ftp servers)
  • They need to have a rich commandline interface for invoking them
  • Needs to be free for personal and commercial use.

Help?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:38 AM by mouser »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I don't know of any aggregated uploader components or SNS aggregation components, but if you want to look at the Flickr API, there are components for it that are very good.

I've used Flickr.NET and it's good:

http://flickrnet.codeplex.com/

I'm sure there are others. Flickr is nice to work with. They've got their s**t together from what I've seen.

The TwitPic API has components for it that can help as well. Some Twitter components are TweetSharp, Twitterizer, and TwitterVB. There are others as well. Again, from what I've seen, the Twitter-side of things have their s**t together. Very nice to work with.

If you want to upload to Facebook, beware. The Facebook API documentation is nothing short of

NFSW because I have nothing good to say about it
complete and total fucking horseshit with abso-fucking-lutely zero low level documentation and only some shitty fucking JavaScript API crappy examples. It just goes to show how entirely dis-fucking-organized...

Sigh... I need to stop there. You get the idea.  :mad:

The Facebook API also tends to have breakage in places with little in the way of communication with developers to let them know about fixes or anything. Can we say, "let's be secretive like Apple?"

However, it's still worth looking at because if you find a decent component for the Facebook API, then uploading is pretty simple. (Logging out is the problem...)

For FTP, have you looked at INDY?

Many of the image upload sites have APIs, but I've not tried a lot of them and can't speak as to their sanity levels.

I know that doesn't really address what you're looking for, but perhaps it might help a little bit.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I really dont want to write a dozen different uploader wrappers for different services just for SC.  I'd much rather find a stanalone queing uploader that SC can hand off to.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I really dont want to write a dozen different uploader wrappers for different services just for SC.  I'd much rather find a stanalone queing uploader that SC can hand off to.

Yeah... I kind of figured that. Sorry, but I don't know of any 1-stop image uploader. :(

The ones I mentioned above are wrappers, and don't require a lot of work, though they're still not trivial to get working.

I'd also be interested, so I'll be watching this thread.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I just found this:

http://pixelpipe.com/

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's perhaps better than nothing, and could work. They say they're not accepting new developers at the moment, but it can't hurt to try...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've gotten SC and RightLoad to work together, using Worstje's Cautomaton.

But the problem, as I see it, is that if you go through the trouble of setting up a program like RightLoad, then there's really no more point in going through more effort to get it working in SC as well. All I have to do is right-click a file and tell it to upload, and I can do it inside SC from the thumbnail viewer thingy.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Hey, what about using DropBox? Would that work?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nevermind -- i found a good tool for it, ZUploader, and added support for it to Screenshot Captor.

ZUploader is a free open source uploader tool which works with imageshack, dropbox, flickr, ftp, and more, and is associated with the ZScreen project, a good open source screenshot tool in it's own right.

ZUploader is donationware -- please donate to them if you find their tool useful (you'll find a donate button in the ZUploader window).

Integration with Screenshot Captor 2.99.02:

From Screenshot Captor you will see help for installing ZUploader in the options
  • A checkbox to auto queue in zuploader after taking a screenshot
  • A menu item in tray to upload last file
  • A menu item in the SendTo menu of the post capture pop-up dialog
  • A tool menu item in the main Tools menu.

In short, just install ZUploader and Screenshot Captor will know how to use it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This issue has been solved and the thread closed.  To discuss further please use this thread.