topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: add a global shortcut to cherrytomato (C#), best pomodoro app around  (Read 14670 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The pomodoro technique is something worth testing.
Unfortunately, most apps are ... lacking. Many adobe air apps ('nuff said!), many abandoned ones... It's such a simple thing to implement, that many have tried their hand, bust most have failed :) Sort of like todo list apps :)

The best tool I know is cherrytomato, but it's lacking two important things:
1- a global shortcut to start/stop
2- a floating window with the time left (so we don't have to use the tray).

The dev. switched to OSX so won't update it much.
The code is on google code.

For a C# coder, this should be an easy task.
Any takers? I'll chip in some DC credits.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I checked it out, but it has a truckload of compile errors.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dammit. Another option would be to hack something in ahk that sends right click to icon > start. Or re-implement in ahk, it should not be difficult. It'd definitely beat all the adobe air crap.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I didn't get compile errors.  Check it out and see if I forgot something before I start trying to do anything else.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I didn't get compile errors.  Check it out and see if I forgot something before I start trying to do anything else.

Didn't run. :(

Screenshot - 2011-07-31 , 10_01_12 PM.pngSOLVED: add a global shortcut to cherrytomato (C#), best pomodoro app around

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm... maybe something needs to be registered (which VS would do automatically for me).  I'll try on my other computer, but if you want to try those same lines, it's an idea.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Dammit. Another option would be to hack something in ahk that sends right click to icon > start. Or re-implement in ahk, it should not be difficult. It'd definitely beat all the adobe air crap.

It should be fairly easy to reimplement.

The project there is divided into 35 trillion projects with 95 quadrillion files. For something that should be pretty simple, the project is pretty complicated. I wouldn't try porting it unless you have a lot of time. Heck... It has a firewall in it! Like WTF?

But lemme see if I got this straight... It's a timer. That goes off every 25 minutes... Right?

(I was pretty much blown away at seeing how complicated the project was after reading what a "pomodoro" was -- a 5 minute break every 25 minutes.)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm... maybe something needs to be registered (which VS would do automatically for me).  I'll try on my other computer, but if you want to try those same lines, it's an idea.

I've got VS 2010 on here, and the 2005/8/10 VC++ runtimes. So I don't know what's breaking.

When I saw the 80 or so compile errors, I gave up.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I've got VS 2010 on here, and the 2005/8/10 VC++ runtimes. So I don't know what's breaking.

When I saw the 80 or so compile errors, I gave up.

I meant one of the plugins.  If they need to be registered, they would be when they are compiled.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quite a few people use my Instant Boss for the pomodoro technique.

If you want some global hotkeys, that wouldn't be too hard to add to it. I am not too good at picking suitable ones that are comfortable for most people's fingers, so you'd have to suggest some. (I have an odd typing style)

I would also be open to feature suggestions, as long as you keep in mind that I am not as talented as I may seem when it comes to coding, and there is a lot I can't do....and some things that might seem easy to someone else may take me a bit of time.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks app.
Actually, I started doing this in ahk, when I got a strange feeling of 'deja vu',...

Then I remembered the interruptron. Damn, I did this 2-3 years ago. There was no pomodoro back then, but this tool is perfect, just setting the work time to 25 min and rest to 5. It's damn effective at letting you know when you are not working, basically it grows in size till it covers the entire screen :)

This happened to an advisor of mine (professor): "Somebody should do this such and such experiment; it'd be great!" Only to be answered: "Yes [Name], somebody should. In fact, you did" . Attached was the paper with the experiment and his name on it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So... I was able to get back to this, and realized that the problem was because of the lack of registration of some components.  But it seems that you might not need it.  Just figured I'd check in before I did anything.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: add a global shortcut to cherrytomato (C#), best pomodoro app around
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Thanks wraith, indeed I don't need it anymore.

nportelli

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just found this app too and thought about creating a fork.  Needs a task manager too.