topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bitdefender Total Security , IS or AV for only $9,95  (Read 14459 times)

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi

Get Bitdefender Total Security , IS or AV for only $9,95

available untill 31july 2011

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bitdefender Total Security , IS or AV for only $9,95
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:18 PM »
-now that is cheap!

2011-07-28_001612.gif
2011-07-28_002226.gif

Can we really trust this test result:

2011-07-28_001519.gif

?  :tellme:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:23 PM by Curt »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Does anyone have details on the "Online Backup" offered as part of BitDefender Total Security 2011?  The marketing materials mention "Easily back-up your photos, movies, music and other important files to a secure Internet server, where only you can access them". But the PDF User Guide only talks about local and FTP backup (to an FTP server that you specify).

There's a FAQ that I *think* addresses this question:  http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/article/750/How-to-activate-Online-Back-up.html

But it's a bloody video!  

I happen to somewhere where watching (or particularly listening) to a video isn't an option at the moment.  Not to mention that it's irritating as hell to have to sit through however many minutes of video to get the information I want when I should be able to get it by scanning a document in 10 seconds.

Bit I may forgive them for that transgression if I can get a decent online backup solution for 3 PCs for 1 year for $10.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Hi Folks,

Impressive.  Any comments on BitDefender ? Maybe check Wilders and DSL Reports. I think they are at least good to very good.

And if you want to stock up on good internet security suites, you could use this paid purchase to then help you get a free Outpost license.

Not happy with your current Internet security suite?
Get a free Competitive Upgrade to Outpost Security Suite!
http://www.agnitum.c...grade-to-outpost.php

I'm interested, now that I do not trust Avira (Uniblue and tricky toolbar nonsense) and Online Armor is owned by Emsi.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:41 AM »
Can we really trust this test result:
 (see attachment in previous post)

:tellme:

Well, I think so:
http://www.av-test.o...ion_desc&lang=en

Gets 6 (out of six) for protection
MSE only gets 2.5 :(

also gets very good marks for usability & "repair"
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 06:27 AM »
Does anyone have details on the "Online Backup" offered as part of BitDefender Total Security 2011?  
There's a FAQ that I *think* addresses this question:  http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/article/750/How-to-activate-Online-Back-up.html
But it's a bloody video!

2GB  = $20 extra per year, = DEFAULT,
5GB  = $29.14,
10GB = $40.80,
15GB = $58.30 extra per year

This is really much too expensive, I think.

Instinctively I like Steven's suggestion better: Buy Bitdefender now, for $9.95, and maybe swift to Outpost Security Suite, for nothing! But this offer is restricted to N-America. You ("they") have two days from now to do so:

Not happy with your current Internet security suite?
Get a free Competitive Upgrade to Outpost Security Suite!

BETWEEN NOW AND AUGUST 31ST 2011, YOU CAN GET A FREE COMPETITIVE UPGRADE TO OUTPOST SECURITY SUITE PRO 7.5 PERFORMANCE EDITION IF YOU LIVE IN THE US OR CANADA AND USE A PAID INTERNET SECURITY SUITE FROM ONE OF THE VENDORS LISTED BELOW:

Avast    Avira    AVG    BullGuard    BitDefender    CA
    Eset    F-Secure    GData    Kaspersky    Lavasoft    McAfee
    Panda    PC Tools    Norton (Symantec)    Trend Micro    WebRoot    ZoneAlarm

For all participants Outpost Security Suite Pro will be provided free of charge for one or two years depending on the active competitive license. If the current license is valid for more than 3 months but less than 12 months, it will be Outpost Security Suite Pro one-year license, if more than 12 months are left, then participant will get Outpost Security Suite Pro two-year license. The Outpost license will be valid for up to 3 or 5 PCs for personal and/or family use, depending on the competing license.

Edited:
Thanks, tomos:
the test is showing BitDefender to be one of The Best suites! For $9.95?!!!  :up:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:51 AM by Curt, Reason: North-America »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Hi Folks,

In my case I will probably install BitDefender on one puter, and Outpost on another (home/work) and then see if one is happier than the other after some time.

Afaik, both are real companies, with reasonable integrity, without some of the pitfalls that I have seen with, among others, Comodo, Avira and Kaspersky over the years.   And without being the big cumbersome guys.

Kewl .. I did the Total Security.  Does that include everything in the other two products ?

Thanks for the headsup ! 

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:01 PM by Steven Avery »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 03:47 PM »
By the way - the advertisement page says $9.95, but when you go to make a purchase it's actually $10.99.

Note enough to bother with tracking down someone to fix it. But irritating enough to whine about it here  :-\ ...

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 04:58 PM »
By the way - the advertisement page says $9.95, but when you go to make a purchase it's actually $10.99.

Note enough to bother with tracking down someone to fix it. But irritating enough to whine about it here  :-\ ...

I think that might be because it is an offer for Australian customers, and 9.95 AUD is roughly 11 USD.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 05:06 PM »
it is an offer for Australian customers

I see - I never noticed that.

I guess I need to talk to my congressman about forcing those Ockers to stop using our dollar sign, dangit!

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Btw, for anyone ordering it, on the last page you accept that they enable auto-renewal (i.e. they automatically bill you every year from now on). If you are not interested in this, make sure you log into the control panel thingy as described, and disable it :Thmbsup:.

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 08:44 PM »
It appears the clock starts ticking on the license only after it's activated.
Might be worthwhile to buy more than 1 copy.
Of course, who knows what might happen (detection wise etc) in future releases.
Perhaps the 2012 version will still be useful in 2012/2013

Edit:
I did get a copy of the Agnitum Outpost competitive upgrade offer (used Norton), so perhaps I need not bother with a second.

Edit2 :
Btw, for anyone ordering it, on the last page you accept that they enable auto-renewal (i.e. they automatically bill you every year from now on). If you are not interested in this, make sure you log into the control panel thingy as described, and disable it :Thmbsup:.
Jibz, did not spot that - thanks for the tip.
PS: control panel is at Avangate.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 08:50 PM by NigelH »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 08:02 AM »
I have been using bitdefender for the last 4 or 5 years.

Typically a code for one version of the program remains valid/"activatable" for new versions - so if you buy multiple codes and dont activate them, based on past experience you should be able to activate it in a year. I had bought 2008/2009 boxes for my parents, which werent used, and i used the codes for myself in 2010.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 04:06 AM »
Although the offer's expired, they've extended a special pricing deal to August 7. ($9.95 for AV, add $10 for IS, add another $10 for TS.)

For what it's worth, I tried the AV product a year ago and hated it so much I removed it. (My license has only just expired, apparently.) However, that was an underpowered XP machine that I no longer own... I have NOD32 on my desktop machine and MSE on the netbook; am debating trying the AV product on the netbook. I have a few days to think about it... :)
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 09:59 AM »
I just checked - at the moment I have 5 PCs on bitdefender, 3 on a "total security 2011" which i bought around xmas, and 2 on an "internet security 2009" which I bought in 2009 but hadnt used (i'd grabbed a couple boxes in a deal somewhere and one was meant for my parents but never used). The PCs on the 2009 license code are happily running IS2011, and I am pretty sure that if I install the 2012 it will still happily run. So it can be bought in advance and used later, typically. Note that a 3 PC version will tick down as soon as you put the first PC on it, though

it is unclear to me what the difference remains between "internet security" and "total security" in the 2012 edition - file delete, encryption, tune up (there is a check-optimize which is in both TS and IS 2011 and not as dumb as it sounds, but not sure what tune-up is meant to be) and 2Gb back up (pff). The difference in price is not much for 3PCs but it also seems to be extras that one already has elsewhere, most of us (Note that BD also has a "master control" option where a central PC can oversee other PCs in the home/home office network. Some of these functions might be more valuable in such a scenario)

PS: the PCs I have on it are a mix of XP 32 bit, windows 7 32 bit and windows 7 64bit.

PPS: the program is not as fast as, say, Eset used to be (havent tried it recently), it's a little on the slow side but doesnt cause too much load in that. Game mode and laptop mode are ok. It does work and it is cheap compared to nearly any other product with the same kind of security track record.
Note: The program is VERY disk space hungry, easily 1Gb or more. I think it keeps a file signature database for heuristic detection, and it keeps many versions of it... that's probably configurable somewhere
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:14 AM by iphigenie »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 04:36 PM »
If you have bitdefender and are a gamer, it might be wise to stay on the 2010-2011 engine

I recently upgraded to the new 2012 version on 3 machines, including a brand new install, but it seems to be very disruptive of games downloads (including wow updater, impulse and gamersgate) and some local multiplayer (hosting or joining)

Mostly to me it seems that some settings and logs cannot be found which would allow to easily tweak exceptions due to them adding the auto pilot mode.

Now instead of playing a game I am trying to figure out what executables to manually set as exceptions and pondering whether to uninstall and reboot a few times...

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 04:44 AM »
There's a cybermonday offer on 70% which is a bit more than the 9.99 price above, but is active now. In the uk it works at 3PCs, 1 year for £12 (internet security) or £15 (total security)

EDIT: the link (UK focus) - I think there's a similar deals for other countries http://www.bitdefend...fcm/?et_cid=20800076

Thanks to avanquest telling me my license had 30 days to renewal while I still had that promotion's email in my deleted email folder...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:25 AM by iphigenie »