topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Apple admits existence of MacDefender malware - Update planned  (Read 9004 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
6563.jpg

Apple is planning to release an update specifically designed to protect users against the MacDefender malware that has been circulating for the last couple of weeks. The update for Mac OS X will automatically find and remove the malware on an infected machine and also will warn users if another infection attempt is detected.

The planned update from Apple is a rare move by the company, whose users until quite recently haven't had to contend with much of a malware problem. The MacDefender scareware attack emerged in early May and is being used by attackers to trick users into downloading and installing a malicious application. Like other scareware attacks, MacDefender tells users that they have a piece of malware on their machine and they need to install MacDefender to help remedy the problem.

Of course, the download is malware itself and has the aim of stealing users' credit card information. Apple is telling concerned users that if they notice an infection attempt, they should try to close their browser or even force quit the application and then delete the installer.

Source

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple admits existence of MacDefender malware - Update planned
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:00 PM »
That crowd is so ripe for the picking it's going to be an all out slaughter.

So you want to know what Low-Hanging-Fruit feels like?

We've got an App for that!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:55 PM »
Then there's this:
http://krebsonsecuri...rgets-macs-for-bots/

Automation - Not a good sign (hehe).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Then there's this:
http://krebsonsecuri...rgets-macs-for-bots/

Automation - Not a good sign (hehe).

-Stoic Joker (May 25, 2011, 04:55 PM)

Mouse over the first image and you see "wy-builder"... I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of false positives for WYBuild shortly, which is a legitimate software component.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 06:19 PM »
Mouse over the first image and you see "wy-builder"... I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of false positives for WYBuild shortly, which is a legitimate software component.

Damn, that is a cool little widget. It would suck to see it get hurt in the crossfire. But it do seem that the fickle finger of fate is pointing at Apple's bung.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:16 PM »

Damn, that is a cool little widget. It would suck to see it get hurt in the crossfire. But it do seem that the fickle finger of fate is pointing at Apple's bung.
-Stoic Joker (May 25, 2011, 06:19 PM)

I tested it out and bought it -- it's excellent. I'm using it in Photo Resizer, and will use it in other software as well. It's just a very slick deployment tool.

I was a bit puzzled when I first moused-over the image there. Wyatt, the guy that writes the software, is a regular poster over at JoS.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 11:01 PM »
The more one learns about Apple and Steve Jobs, the uglier it gets. There comes a point at which you -- as an honest, decent person -- take responsibility for the direct effects one's purchase decisions. For example, if three workers, an elephant, and part of the rainforest had to die to get me my next "iPad," then maybe you shouldn't buy the horrific device.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:02 PM »
The more one learns about Apple and Steve Jobs, the uglier it gets. There comes a point at which you -- as an honest, decent person -- take responsibility for the direct effects one's purchase decisions. For example, if three workers, an elephant, and part of the rainforest had to die to get me my next "iPad," then maybe you shouldn't buy the horrific device.

My apologies. That was a non sequitur. Carry on.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:14 PM »

Every time you use your iPad, God kills a kitten.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:30 PM »

Every time you use your iPad, God kills a kitten.

Damn it! I wanted to do that line...

:D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 01:15 AM »
But wait folks! There's more!!

Within 12 hours of Apple’s announcement, the author of the original Mac Defender program had a new variant available that renders key portions of the current Mac Defender prevention plan obsolete.
http://ct.zdnet.com/...;brand=ZDNET&s=5

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 01:27 AM »
But wait folks! There's more!!

Within 12 hours of Apple’s announcement, the author of the original Mac Defender program had a new variant available that renders key portions of the current Mac Defender prevention plan obsolete.
http://ct.zdnet.com/...;brand=ZDNET&s=5

An entertaining comment there:

...Apple double talk. And I guess if Microsoft had any brains they would run a few years worth of ad's explaining how PC's don't get Mac malware.

Its always the same with the Apple apologist crowd. Its like a four step process.

1. If your an Apple lover, concede that Apple products are not perfect or flawless. It makes you seem sane, gives your upcoming arguments an air of authenticity, and if god forbid, sometime in the future something really goes sideways you can at least save some face by saying "I never said Macs were perfect!" Plus, keep in mind, saying something isn't perfect isn't an admission that something isn't right!

2. If your an Apple lover and you come across someone pointing out that something isn't right about a Mac then immediately jump down the throat of the person saying such a thing. Fight them with everything you have and everything you can think of. Never concede that anything is not right with a Mac. Ever. Its one thing to say a Mac isn't perfect, its a completely different thing to actually admit to any specific flaw.

3. If your an Apple lover, and something does happen that for all intents and purposes does appear to be empirical evidence of something specific not being right with a Mac, do not despair or give in. Instead minimize the issue to the point of it appearing that it's actually a non-issue. Rationalize it away. Use arguments like, "when you can show me a PC that doesn't have these kind of issues worse then a Mac then talk to me about whats wrong with a Mac." Above all, never ever relent. And never, ever ever agree that PC's have been getting called out by Apple lovers for the same kinds of issues. That admission can never happen because it minimizes the very things we have been claiming are wrong with PC's.

4. If your an Apple lover, try not to let an opportunity to bash PC's pass you by. When times seem hard for anything about the reputation of Mac's, thats actually when you should be looking at the situation as an opportunity! Its hard to take any kind of issue with a Mac seriously if you can divert attention from the issue at hand by pointing out that PC's have had all sorts of problems and issues for years, and best of all, most PC users concede that so it should be easy!!

Happy hunting.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 07:00 AM »
Apple appears to be treating this outbreak as if it were a single incident that won’t be repeated. They seriously underestimate the bad guys, who are not idiots. Peter James, an Intego spokeperson, told me his company’s analysts were “impressed by the quality of the original version.” The quick response to Apple’s move suggests they are capable of churning out new releases at Internet speeds, adapting their software and their tactics as their target—Apple—tries to put up new roadblocks.

If Apple plans to play Whack-a-Mole with these guys, they’re in for months of misery.
-The Article

Lambs, Slaughter, Any Questions...?  :D

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 05:01 PM »
UPDATE:

The update released today has already been defeated by the makers of the original malware. As the saying goes...

"Anti-malware, yeah, theres an app for.....oh wait"

Source

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 06:22 PM »
If I didn't despise malware writers as much as I do I'd be tempted to think it couldn't have happened to a nicer company than Apple.  :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 10:12 PM »
If I didn't despise malware writers as much as I do I'd be tempted to think it couldn't have happened to a nicer company than Apple.  :P

Bwahahahaha~!  ;D

Nice!