topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: askapic.com - Photo Q&A Site  (Read 100848 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Pledge: Photo Q&A Site - askapic.com
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 04:37 AM »
Re: terms and conditions, one thing you definitely want to make clear is copyright. Essentially, anyone uploading an image should, by doing so, be stating that they either own the copyright for the image, have explicit permission from the copyright holder to use it in this manner, or it is an open/creative commons/otherwise not copyright controlled image. These kinds of Cover Your Ass (CYA :D) terms may be critical to the long-term survival of such a system as it could otherwise be easily cut-off from web hosting without warning, or be the subject of a lot of DMCA/take-down notices (at the least).

I agree. In fact, I would probably limit it to public domain/creative commons only, and make the user fill out a credit box with creator info (name, url), and let them check some boxes for the image's license type: BY, NC, ND, SA, PD/CC0 (some of these can be combined, some can not)

This would allow your site to become truly useful as a repository of free images with open licenses and cut down on the legal worries associated with allowing users to just upload whatever they please.

Keep in mind that there are additional concerns with images beyond license type, with regards to signed model releases for images containing people's faces and signed property releases for some objects (like visibly branded items, trademarked items, some buildings, photos of artworks, etc.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44 AM »
With all the suggestions, i forgot to say: CONGRATULATIONS to tomos and adi_barb for getting this up and running so quickly!
Very very impressive.  :up: :up: :up:

shhhhh lol
it's not officially there yet :)

But hey, people:
go have a look if you want, you should even be able to post successfully,
  • Facebook integration is not fully implemented yet.
  • There's no terms & conditions yet (dont go wild please :p)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 05:18 AM »
Flickr's terms are actually Yahoo's (link to UK terms). See spoiler for the part relevant to content.

#3 is a bit odd but the rest seem helpful.
See the query at the end ;-)

Spoiler
You agree to not use the Services to:

1. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
   2. harm minors in any way;
   3. impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Yahoo! official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
   4. forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Services;
   5. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
   6. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;
   7. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation, except in those areas that are designated for such purpose;
   8. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, damage, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
   9. disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to "scroll" faster than other users of the Services are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real time exchanges;
  10. interfere with or disrupt the Services or servers or networks connected to the Services, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Services;
  11. intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable law or regulation including, but not limited to, regulations promulgated by any securities exchange;
  12. "stalk" or otherwise harass another; or
  13. extract, collect, process, combine or store personal data about other users.

do you think I could simply copy them (with minor adjustments) :tellme:

edit/ added link
Tom
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:23 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 05:34 AM »
I would probably limit it to public domain/creative commons only, and make the user fill out a credit box with creator info (name, url), and let them check some boxes for the image's license type: BY, NC, ND, SA, PD/CC0 (some of these can be combined, some can not)

This would allow your site to become truly useful as a repository of free images with open licenses and cut down on the legal worries associated with allowing users to just upload whatever they please.

It would be great if people could tick a box which would apply a particular license. I dont know if that's even possible - BUT the reality is: if someone really wanted to post something they would lie. So I think the Terms have to place the responsibility on them to NOT upload copyright material.

It would be great to have a repository of free images but I dont think it's feasible in this instance - I mean, how can people really prove that an image is theirs to license? It may be possible, but I cant see it being easy....
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 06:42 AM »
Anyone feeling bored :D

Provisional Terms of Use:

http://askapic.com/terms_of_use-i2/
Tom

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Thanks mouser for your nice words.

tomos: here's a great online tool  many people use : generateprivacypolicy.com  for the privacy policy page.

:Thmbsup:

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 09:48 AM »
I would probably limit it to public domain/creative commons only, and make the user fill out a credit box with creator info (name, url), and let them check some boxes for the image's license type: BY, NC, ND, SA, PD/CC0 (some of these can be combined, some can not)

It would be great if people could tick a box which would apply a particular license. I dont know if that's even possible - BUT the reality is: if someone really wanted to post something they would lie. So I think the Terms have to place the responsibility on them to NOT upload copyright material.

It would be great to have a repository of free images but I dont think it's feasible in this instance - I mean, how can people really prove that an image is theirs to license? It may be possible, but I cant see it being easy....

The form isn't so much for enforcement as it is to remind users of the site's policies with regards to licensing of images, what is allowed and what is not, and making it easier for the user to comply with existing licenses by giving credit to the source of images that are already CC licensed, and renewing the agreement to follow the rules each and every time they upload something.

Yeah, sure they could still lie, but if they do and you get a takedown notice, you just delete the image (and ban the user if it is a blatant violation of the site's policies).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 06:19 AM »
Any opinions on this as a Facebook icon - design; quality
(90 x 90 pixels)

askapic_90x90.png

[edit] 2011-01-04 going to add other related images here [/edit]

this a signature one:

askapic_long02a.png
Tom
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:10 PM by tomos »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Any opinions on this as a Facebook icon - design; quality
(90 x 90 pixels)

(see attachment in previous post)

Whatever you choose, it should become the recognizable face of your service, so you really should go for consistency across all sites where your logo will be displayed. Settle on a single design that can serve for your logo on the site, and on facebook, twitter, or anywhere else.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Whatever you choose, it should become the recognizable face of your service, so you really should go for consistency across all sites where your logo will be displayed. Settle on a single design that can serve for your logo on the site, and on facebook, twitter, or anywhere else.

need.  more.  t i i i i i i m m m m m m m m e . . .  :tellme:
ps thanks for the tip :)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Photo Q&A Site - askapic.com
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Well,
I think we can call that a release :) - I've changed as much as I'm able to -
there wont be any structural changes made to the site till Monday (Jan 3rd) at the earliest.

If you go visit it askapic.com keep in mind that the posting process has yet to be streamlined - at some stage (before or after your visit) have a read of the problems listed here. If you discover a problem that isnt listed here, do let us know about it :Thmbsup: Thanks!

Current Problems (mainly the big ones :p)

1) You have to tag an image before it will be accepted:
  • you have to add a comma "," after the tag word for it to be accepted
  • the status of your selected file is not indicated - e.g. if you forget to add a tag to an image, you will get an error message and the site will 'forget' the selected file's details so you'll have to srat from scratch (your question is remembered though).
2) Facebook login works a treat - but I'm not sure what shows up on your Facebook homepage (nothing in my case) - do let me know! [seems to be showing okay on FB]
3) Currently you are UNABLE to change any details on your Profile page
4) Categories are not properly associated with the questions i.e. on Categories page they all show as having zero related questions.
5) "Unanswered" tab on the homepage shows all questions
6) if you ask a question and then login using name & password, you may get an error message but the login should still be successful
7) Some emails take a long time (I get emails instantly in my gmail a/c but have had to wait hours with other email accounts. But note that you can post instantly - without having gotten your regristration email. I dont know why this is - some problem with the godaddy email accounts maybe.

edit: #5 strikethrough
edit: # 4  # 2 :-[ :)
Tom
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:59 AM by tomos »

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: askapic.com - Photo Q&A Site
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 03:14 AM »
we hope to finish all the necessary modifications the next 2-3 days.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 04:43 AM »
we hope to finish all the necessary modifications the next 2-3 days.

sounds great Adi :Thmbsup:

To the rest of you:- it is very usable at the moment, just at times, not as user friendly as it could be.
Tom

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 05:49 AM »
2011-01-02_194645.gif

Browser: IE8

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 05:58 AM »
It's a number 4  ;)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 05:58 AM »
Actually, I wondered the same thing on FireFox

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 07:52 AM »
It's a number 4

;D

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 08:25 AM »
To be precise, it is the number of people that noticed a number in the top left corner when they visit the page, and complained about it afterwards. Prepare for that number to skyrocket, folks. :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I hadn't noticed that - on my screen (FF) it's tucked away in the corner

askapic001.png
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Suggestion: Integrate OpenID for sign-in.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Suggestion: Integrate OpenID for sign-in.

+1  :Thmbsup:

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2011, 02:35 AM »
To be precise, it is the number of people that noticed a number in the top left corner when they visit the page, and complained about it afterwards. Prepare for that number to skyrocket, folks. :P

that "4" was a little misspelling error in the language file    ;D

openId is good and maybe twitter too. we will have them in our minds  :-[

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2011, 11:28 AM »
I'm working on a slideshow page - here's ideas so far:

Keep it simple.
A Black screen with:
  • buttons
  • Question shown below the image

You can reach the slideshow page two ways
     1) link in the header (slideshow sorted by date)
     2) if you select a category or tag, relevant questions will be shown, with a link-button: [view as slideshow]

Here's what I proposed a while ago for the slideshow buttons:
[newer] [PLAY/PAUSE] [Older]  [Random] [selected topic] [x close]

slideshow004.jpgNANY 2011 Release: askapic.com - Photo Q&A Site

I hope that's fairly self-explanatory (?)

What's missing though is the ability to look at just unanswered questions.
Any ideas how I could introduce that?
Another button? [Unanswered] --> reads [Show All] when I click it ?

[newer] [PLAY/PAUSE] [Older]                  [Random] [Unanswered] [selected topic] [x close]

thanks for any suggestions

edited/ the formatting
Tom
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:44 AM by tomos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39 PM »
askapic is looking really nice  :up:

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 01:34 AM »
when clicking on [selected] there will be a dropdown which will display the categories and when a category is selected, the last picture and question posted in that category will appear in the slideshow. I'm afraid if there will be tens of categories the dropdown will be annoying being too high. I'm also not sure about what to do with the "topics" there.

I think a black background will not match the rest of the design and think about the fact that there could be uploaded pictures with small sizes. Big slideshows looks great due to the large size of the images

e.g: buildinternet.com/project/supersized/default.php

in the picture, there is no header and footer. I'm a little bit confused about how people will get on the previous page or homepage.

mouser thanks for your nice words.