topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Goalscape - Expensive but the best to-do list software I've seen (Adobe Air)  (Read 15215 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.goalscape.com/

I'd post a screenshot but I fear it may turn people off. This is a case where (unless you are familiar with how programs like TreeView works and like them) - it's better to try the features before reacting. (I thought the Adobe Air element would kill it for me but surprisingly it's done very well. No small fonts or hard to read options although I'd still prefer something other than Adobe Air in case it becomes resource hungry)

From outliner software.com:

http://www.outliners...ewt/2038/0/goalscape

Whilst I was searching online for reviews of Amode (see previous post) I came across Goalscape - http://www.goalscape.com. I couldn’t resist downloading & giving it a try - an interesting take on goal/task/project visualisation, but price seems a bit steep at ?78.

I recently downloaded the free trial. after a few days of using it, I was persuaded to purchase it. after a few more days of using it, it has become my favorite piece of software

Thanks for the heads up; the principle is solid, I’ll have to test it in terms of the implementation. It’s apparently a competitor to Crystal Mapping http://www.crystalmapping.com/ to which I was considering signing up. I wonder who came up with the concept first.
Another similar product discussed here in the past is Goal Enforcer http://www.goalenforcer.com/
Not surprisingly, Goalscape is a German product…

P.S. not a fan of Goal Enforcer and don't think they are the same product at all but Crystal Mapping looks like a web service version of Goal Enforcer with an Online MindMap based business model.

What I like up to now about Goalscape is the support.  I had full and almost immediate responses to my questions - on a Sunday evening.  That’s service!

I am going to purchase GoalScape. Mr. Parslow (the Support) is great a addressing questions and comments in a timely manner. Active Support is a huge factor in my decision to purchase software.
I thank you all for the heads-up re: GoalScape.

I agree. It is a bit pricey. I think it was priced at 39-euros at one time in the not too distant past. Then, a huge increase in price. Oh well; to me it’s worth the price considering the lively support.

I like the Goalscape interface and it looks like a solid program.
The deal-killer for me, though, was the lack of keyboard shortcuts. Having to constantly switch back and forth between the mouse and the keyboard makes an application almost unusable, in my opinion.

I haven’t got it installed any more, but I remember having similar thoughts about the lack of keyboard shortcuts. I did find out that there are shortcuts, but I don’t think they were documented in the help. However, to add a new item was CTRL+INSERT where I would have thought simply INSERT was more intuitive.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Amazing! Love the visual paradigm they're using. Especially since in my business we do all our project brainstorming/early planning using post-its in a nested circular arrangement very similar to how Goalscape works - sans the dynamic scaling.

It does seem a little on pricey side. (It's roughly twice what I thought it would be going for.) But I guess they're awfully proud of this little guy. And it's always a reasonable price if something gets you where you need to go - and you need its help to get there.

Bloody! One more thing to download a trial copy of and find the time to see if it's something I really need...  ;D

-------

Recently, I've been using a very nice app called Organiser2 by a Dutch company called Dolphinity. One of the graphic designers we work with recommended it highly.

So far, I've been very impressed since it slots neatly into that big divide that falls between a PIM and something like  Microsoft Project. For most of what I do (and the way I work) it's a perfect fit. I could easily see using Goalscape in tandem with Organiser2 for a more complete PC-based planning system.

Dolphinity is a company which has written in-house software to handle tasks that most freelance or small companies will need to handle. Some of these tools are made available for free, in the hopes that it will also be useful for other companies out there.
Organiser is the successor to Planner below. Organiser gives the possibility to create a tree of projects and subprojects and fill them with a variety of types of items. This enables you to subdivide projects where it matters, to keep an overview of things. Organiser added tasks & Gantt charts and supersedes Planner, being much more flexible.

Organiser allows multiple types of items to be stored in the file, such as Todo items, Facts, Contacts, Tasks, Web locations and Agreements.
Organiser's strong points:

• A free and less complex alternative to MS Project for projects where require less statistical information (though the projects don't necessarily have to be small).
  • Easy grouping of all your actions (with planning) and related tasks into groups that you define and modify as projects grow larger or smaller.
  • Supported items include simple todo's, contacts, facts, agreements, actions (tasks with start & end dates), locations (websites, folder locations or even single files), mail, call and payment reminders.
  • User-friendly intuitive interface.
  • Tasks can be 'Waiting For' to get an overview of things you still require from people (see this tutorial).
  • Gantt chart to get a visual look on your planning, including visualization of action progress/overdue actions etc.
  • Fits the 'Gettings Things Done' method from David Allen perfectly.

More info here.  Download link here.

Couple of screenshots:

make_group.jpg  

first_group.jpg  

business_added.jpg

Click to enlarge:

organiser_view2.jpgGoalscape - Expensive but the best to-do list software I've seen (Adobe Air)  organiser_view3.jpgGoalscape - Expensive but the best to-do list software I've seen (Adobe Air)

---###---

@PK - Hey Paul! Been a while. Glad to see you're back here - and with another one of your terrific finds! :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:28 PM by 40hz »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops! wrong topic.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:53 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
love the look of it anyways :)

not 100% sure of the pricing -
had a quick look in their forum and found this (talking about an iphone app - but it was the pricing that caught my eye):

It will sync with your Goalscape Connect models on the server to display current goals, with deadlines and daily tasks. This will be delivered in the next few weeks and the initial implementation will be available free with Goalscape Connect.

Right now the perpetual license (€89) for the standalone version, Goalscape Desktop, includes a 6-month subscription to Goalscape Connect. In the second half of 2011 Goalscape Connect will move to a subscription model, independent of Goalscape Desktop.
https://goalscape.te...e-application-coming

wondering e.g. what they mean by "perpetual" and if you can work completely offline [sounds like you can]
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh. They put a freekin' countdown timer widget on the offer page?

That just lost me. I do not respond well to sales pressure tactics. Even if it will net me a discount.

And yes, I know that's what the de jour part of BdJ is all about. But that whole "cable television" shill approach to selling something is an absolute turn off for me.

Sorry Vince! Better luck next time.  ;)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh. They put a freekin' countdown timer widget on the offer page?

That just lost me. I do not respond well to sales pressure tactics. Even if it will net me a discount.

And yes, I know that's what the de jour part of BdJ is all about. But that whole "cable television" shill approach to selling something is an absolute turn off for me.

Sorry Vince! Better luck next time.  ;)

FYI - Policy

Product may be used indefinitely after purchase. Licensed per user for concurrent use, allowing transfer of a license to another owned computer. Online license activation is required with a hardware footprint, and 2 installations per footprint. Free upgrades for life. Support for life. 14 days return policy.

Hi 40hz,

[timidly]
I won't say I'm not trying to influence you or wouldn't have posted, but the only influence I intend is to include the 14-day return policy in your evaluation.  I've never been burned by BDJ in my purchases, but others mileage may vary, or I would never make the "Hey here's a deal" post.  Which reminds me I posted in the wrong topic!  Arrrrgh!!  It's been moved here.
[/timidly]

FWIW, I'm buying it! I bought it.  :)

Calvin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:20 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Available today again at Bits du Jour for $74: http://www.bitsdujour.com/

FYI: Goalscape Connect is the Cloud Version that loads in the browser.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Available today again at Bits du Jour for $74: http://www.bitsdujour.com/

FYI: Goalscape Connect is the Cloud Version that loads in the browser.

+1  I bought it on the last BDJ (Jan/4/2011) and love it!  I don't use it for everything, but the visualization in a "pie chart" can't be beat IMO! 

+1 for the support.  I had an issue and it was resolved in several emails in a half a day!

~CT