topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Decision making time.  (Read 5106 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Decision making time.
« on: November 22, 2010, 12:25 AM »
Over the past 7 days I have been looking at what my skills are, and where I want to go with them.

So far, I have aquired a good few life skills, and can develop almost any website I want to and have been looking into programming, but theres still a few other things I want to do.  The two main ones are as follows:

Create a MMORPG
Create Poker Client/Server Software

I know these may seem like large projects, but thats because i want them to be.

I need something that I can dive into and spend my time on, rather than doing 2% of a project, moving onto another and doing 2% of that and not seeing those projects for months cause I keep moving to something else.

I am literally SICK of project jumping, and want to do something that will eat my spare time.

I honestly feel like its time for me to stop thinking about how many things I want to do, and focus all my time and energy on one thing, no matter how long that thing takes, whether that be 1 month, or 2 years.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Decision making time.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:52 AM »
Create a MMORPG
Create Poker Client/Server Software

Are you unemployed? And do you have super powers? Specifically the super power to be able to split yourself into multiple versions of yourself with at least 100 copies and preferably more?

If the answer is yes, then go for the MMORPG. If not, forget it.

The poker thing is much more realistic. However, I think it's a bad choice. Unless you are already in the industry, it's a hard one to crack.

You've picked some INCREDIBLY difficult things there.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 12:58 AM »
Ah, now you see, I never specifically said I would do these on my own ;) I am mearly wondering which is the best route to take, as im sick of project switching.

I am honestly more of a team leader/ideas person than anything else, so actually sitting down to finish a project myself, without getting distracted by 200 things has become difficult.

And in answer to your questions, im employed and no super mutant :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Employment is overrated, but super mutant powers would definitely be cool~! :D

I thought that you were looking to do them yourself.

To be honest, starting with a smaller project and working up is much easier. You'll screw up on small things then have the experience to not screw up on the big things. :) Well, at least that's how it works for me. :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:07 AM »
There's room for more creativity and innovation in a MMORPG project. And, unlike Poker simulations, MMORPGs are intrinsically more web and team oriented - both in play and in development. And...that seems to be where you feel your strengths lie: team building and webdev.

So...choices...

You are in a forest, standing in a clearing. As you admire the beautiful autumn day you see the trail before you branches into two separate paths. The path to the left shows an opening in the woods that leads to what looks like a wider, heavily traveled roadway. In the distance you can hear the sound of market carts and many voices. They are all chatting merrily and laughing. The path to the right appears to head deeper into the woods. At the far end of this path you can just make out what appears to be an ancient carved statue surrounded by carefully tended flowers. A tall female figure is standing, with her head bent, before the statue.

?>>wait

Time passes...

Coming up from behind you, your flatmate taps you on the shoulder. As you reluctantly look up from the adventure game you are playing he says: "Jimmy and Gandalf and Spock just showed up. And Night Owl called to say he and Silken Specter plan on coming over too. GAndalf brought beer, and Spock ordered pizzas for later. We're gonna play poker downstairs. Do you want to join us? "

?>>no

Your flatmate looks dumbfounded. "Are you nuts, man? Listen to me ... Night Owl's bringing Silk Specter with him, ok? We're gonna play poker. As in real Hold-em! Know what I mean?" He grins and attempts what is meant to be a lascivious wink. On him it looks more like a gnat just got stuck in his eye.

?>>bugger

I'm sorry...I don't see any 'bugger' here.

?>>

8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:44 AM by 40hz »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 09:26 AM »
How about developing an interactive fiction engine that is more intuitive, with less of a learning curve, than Inform or TADS 3, but still powerful enough to achieve complex IF projects?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 12:08 PM »
As far as the MMORPG project, you could start with developing the world and going towards single player in a smaller project to make the engine and such... then move onto the larger project as you get support and help behind your work.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 02:02 PM »
As far as the MMORPG project, you could start with developing the world and going towards single player in a smaller project to make the engine and such... then move onto the larger project as you get support and help behind your work.

No real need, ive settled on creating an MMORPG through a game engine using a project I was working on a few years back.  Graphics aint beautiful as im limited to what I can do by myself, but all in all, using this project I started awhile ago, I have a working server, and client, not much you can do in the game at the moment, but im going to be listing the full details soon in the DC Gamer Club section.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 02:56 PM »
I think it's great to work on a project like this.  Let me know if I can help, you've been a big help to me with advice and stuff.  I'd love to try out the MMORPG game.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 04:54 PM »