topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

What's Your Internet Speed/Reliability SATISFACTION?

$%&#$
1 / 5
2 / 5
3 / 5
4 / 5
5 / 5
Heaven~!

Last post Author Topic: What's Your Internet Speed/Reliability SATISFACTION?  (Read 82800 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's Your Internet Speed/Reliability SATISFACTION?
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2011, 03:45 PM »
I pay for 30 Mb down/up EUR 30,- (USD 42) a month. No limits.

That's awesome! I pay around $25 and get 1/30th the speed!

But I do wonder what people use these seriously fast connections for... I source 90% of my TV viewing from the net and barely have time to view everything.

Mahesh, I have a Tata Photon stick as backup should the MTNL connection go on the fritz. I've only had to use it once - it was faster than my wired connection, IIRC.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Yeah, well, my home speed is about half your speed I would bet (can't test it, my home machine is down with a dead HD - waiting for the new one so I can rebuild it and try.  Probably died from the same thing that killed the internet that day).  I think my best scores then were somewhere around Deo's score or maybe a little lower.  :-\

Ouch. That's gotta hurt. I just want to claw my eyes out sometimes. It's really frustrating whenever I need to upload anything. 0.02 Mbps isn't exactly quick when I need to upload a few hundred MB to a server. :(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41 AM »
My provider runs a special until end of July. 100 Mbit up/down unlimited for EUR 35,- (USD 50). I don't really need it, but for just EUR 5,- more?!? That's a temptation I couldn't resist.  :-[

I can't find a speedtest.net server supporting this upload speed. :)

But I do wonder what people use these seriously fast connections for

Mirroring the Internet? :)

I agree. Nobody needs such speed. For me it was like paying the same, but getting more, so it would be stupid not to get it. Six months ago I had 12/7 Mbit for EUR 30,- and that was pretty nice. But then my house got fiber-optic connection and I could change to this insane provider. Austria is a bit "underdeveloped" in matters of broadband Internet, so they're really pushing it to the extreme.

I like to download US shows like Idol, Got Talent, ... and it's nice to download 2 GB episodes in a couple of minutes, but that's about it. Sharing large files (1080p videos from my camera) and online backups are also possible.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:57 AM by wr975 »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Tata Photon stick has less speed than vodafone here(i guess they have good coverage in mumbai only). Vodafone stick gives me speed of about 1Mbps-2Mbps in city circle and 4-8kbps outside the city(which you can see in my earlier reply).

But I do wonder what people use these seriously fast connections for

Please donate/divert your extra bandwidth here.  ;D

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Canada remains a joke compared to the rest of the developed world.
That's all I am going to say about that  :P

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Canada remains a joke compared to the rest of the developed world.
That's all I am going to say about that  :P

Seriously? I remember going online from a public library in Toronto, it was a blazing fast connection, and this was almost a decade back! Maybe Canada used up all its bandwidth. :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Nobody needs those speeds? Speak for yourself. I want my digital heroin, and I want it NOW~! :P

Well, if Canada is a joke for Internet speeds, we're still good for a laugh or two here in Australia.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2011, 12:07 PM »
And speaking of the developed world, I've had much better luck in the developing and 3rd world for Internet speeds. By a wide margin. Just my own observations though.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2011, 12:08 PM »
AFAIK, canadian ISP's started limiting users on data restricted plans on fair usage policy since 2009.

Same thing started here by airtel, they're limiting folks on bandwidth. I wonder what happened to scalability in business, i mean each year number of subscribers grow but still instead of working on capacity they're adding restrictions on data and calls ? how about increasing capacity of server and network ? I doubt they'll think this way. Rest of the Indian ISP's(like BSNL/You/Hathway etc) also limiting users on fair usage policy because they want to make more money from data-limited service. It's not that network/infrastructure is short, it's about monies :P

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I agree. Nobody needs such speed.
I disagree - if enough people had that kind of internet speed, interesting new software could be developed. Like, distributed backups fast enough to be usable...
- carpe noctem

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2011, 02:36 AM »
And speaking of the developed world, I've had much better luck in the developing and 3rd world for Internet speeds. By a wide margin. Just my own observations though.

Can you elaborate on this sentence? This seems interesting. Do you mean the general net speed was faster or were the better plans simply cheaper?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2011, 04:11 AM »

Can you elaborate on this sentence? This seems interesting. Do you mean the general net speed was faster or were the better plans simply cheaper?

Both actually.

I remember the Internet speeds at hotels I was staying at in Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City and in Long Xing (way out in the country side) were both better than what I was getting at home. Similarly, connection speeds when I was in Cambodia (near Angkor) were better.

Korea? Well. Enough said. They're getting 1 Gbps next year. It'll probably be something like $50. I had a slow connection -- about $25~$30 or so for 10 Mbps. The 100 Mbps was the same price about, but my speeds were already so fast that I never needed to bother upgrading.

Now, my Internet speeds have improved dramatically recently, and I have even seen 800 kbps. But I saw 1.5 Mbps in Long Xing, and 2 Mbps in Ho Chi Minh.

I remember not being able to get above 50 kbps while at hotels in the US in 2005 and 2006 where I was paying an ungodly amount PER DAY for access. On more recent visits, things seemed to be much better though. Still, I was rather disappointed considering what I was paying.

Here, in Australia, I'm paying 2x as much for far less than I was getting in Korea, but Korea is probably a bad example as it's the most wired country on the planet.

Living in Penang, and island in Malaysia, speeds were unpredictable, and unreliable. 2 Mbps one day, then 80 kbps the next. Day after that, outage for 4 hours. Usually it was pretty good, but it had days that were just not fun. Just all over the place. That was with Penangfon though. Pricing was very cheap at about RM 800 a year, or about USD 23 a month (IIRC). Considering that I was pretty much out in the boonies just outside Batu Ferringhi and surrounded by ocean and jungle for the most part, on an island, with monkeys running around all over the place, and then thinking that I'm now in the second largest city in Australia, and very close to the center of the city, erm... I would have expected, well, something different.

But, the NBN will save the day~! ;D :P

(It's a bit of a controversy here -- it's a national infrastructure project for broadband.)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2011, 06:42 AM »
speedTest.png

Yes, it's pretty pitiful.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2011, 07:20 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)
Yes, it's pretty pitiful.

I have a horrible upload speed as well. I can never seem to get above 85 kbps, and usually under 50 kbps. Which is very painful for Dropbox, which Doc and I use extensively for The Doc Report. It's also painful for FTP, but there I really only need to consider myself.

BTW - I still love that "while(! dead_horse){beat}"! :D

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2011, 09:24 AM »

...Might seem fast, but I pay for 2x that lol :(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2011, 09:30 AM »

I would pay double what I'm paying now for that! I think that I'd need to pay around $400 a month to get even remotely close to that. (From the last time I looked...)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2011, 09:36 AM »

I would pay double what I'm paying now for that! I think that I'd need to pay around $400 a month to get even remotely close to that. (From the last time I looked...)

Works out here (For the 100meg fiber optic connection) + TV (Minus Sports and Movies) and Phoneline (With unlimited weekend calls to landlines, and free calls all day every day to mobiles on the same ISP network) at around £40/month (GBP) or something.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2011, 02:06 PM »
Well, I actually felt kinda good about this until I saw Stephen's... Now I'm just jealous!!

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

Jim

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2011, 08:57 PM »
The local look:

The more realistic view:

Rated for 10 to 20 Mbps *AS ADVERTISED*. However, everything in the advertising is misleading. Purposefully misleading. e.g.:

ADSL2+ Speeds:
Optimal ADSL2+ speeds require compatible ADSL2+ modem and filters. Around 70% of TPG ADSL2+ customers can achieve speeds greater than 10Mbps. Actual speeds will vary due to many factors including distance from the local telephone exchange, the quality of the customer's copper phone line, cabling and equipment.

While technically partially true, it's obvious that they're trying to mislead people. i.e. ADSL is asynchronous, and down/up differ, so stating a speed of 10 Mbps implies both up and down, however, the reality is very different. Conclusion: they're misleading intentionally because nobody in the industry is that stupid as to confuse ADSL for (synchronous) DSL. When you call them for support, they'll confess that the expected up speed is 1 Mbps. I really don't appreciate having to dig that far to get basic information. :(

It would be one thing to be upfront and honest, but that just ticks me off. Like just how hard is it to be honest?

Anyways, that's better than I was seeing before, so I'm much happier with that. And still very jealous of a few people in here~! :D

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2011, 01:46 PM »
The local look:

The more realistic view:

Rated for 10 to 20 Mbps *AS ADVERTISED*. However, everything in the advertising is misleading. Purposefully misleading. e.g.:

ADSL2+ Speeds:
Optimal ADSL2+ speeds require compatible ADSL2+ modem and filters. Around 70% of TPG ADSL2+ customers can achieve speeds greater than 10Mbps. Actual speeds will vary due to many factors including distance from the local telephone exchange, the quality of the customer's copper phone line, cabling and equipment.

While technically partially true, it's obvious that they're trying to mislead people. i.e. ADSL is asynchronous, and down/up differ, so stating a speed of 10 Mbps implies both up and down, however, the reality is very different. Conclusion: they're misleading intentionally because nobody in the industry is that stupid as to confuse ADSL for (synchronous) DSL. When you call them for support, they'll confess that the expected up speed is 1 Mbps. I really don't appreciate having to dig that far to get basic information. :(

It would be one thing to be upfront and honest, but that just ticks me off. Like just how hard is it to be honest?

Anyways, that's better than I was seeing before, so I'm much happier with that. And still very jealous of a few people in here~! :D

The way I have it worked out, is that if a company offers you a 20MB connection, this means, if you CONNECT at that 20mb speed, you will actually DOWNLOAD at 10% of that speed, and upload at 10% of your DOWNLOAD speed.

Not sure if thats the exact, but certainly seems true for my line:

When it works properly, I get...

100mb/s connection
  - 10MB/s Max DOWN Speed
  - 1MB/s UP Speed

Again...this is depending on a few factors like where I am downloading/uploading from and if my internet is behaving in an optimal state, and how many times I have kicked the router that day.

Torrents will obviously download at a much much higher rate than HTTP downloads and I can't actually figure out the Down/Up ratio for them as its different for literally every single one.

Well, I actually felt kinda good about this until I saw Stephen's... Now I'm just jealous!!

Please don't be...

You get very spoiled with a 100meg connection, and when it isn't working at full speed, and you find yourself on anything below 50-70, you get VERY annoyed, and people just don't understand how, or why your frustrated with downloading at ONLY 6500kb/s via HTTP.  :-\   8)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31 PM »

Please don't be...

You get very spoiled with a 100meg connection, and when it isn't working at full speed, and you find yourself on anything below 50-70, you get VERY annoyed, and people just don't understand how, or why your frustrated with downloading at ONLY 6500kb/s via HTTP.  :-\   8)

Oh, thank you - I feel so much better now.   ;)

Jim

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2011, 11:18 PM »
The way I have it worked out, is that if a company offers you a 20MB connection, this means, if you CONNECT at that 20mb speed, you will actually DOWNLOAD at 10% of that speed, and upload at 10% of your DOWNLOAD speed.

That seems to be pretty accurate. Well, maybe 5% of what's advertised... but potato hand grenade. Y'know... :P

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2011, 11:09 AM »

Please don't be...

Oh, thank you - I feel so much better now.   ;)

Jim

:(  ;D ;D

That seems to be pretty accurate. Well, maybe 5% of what's advertised... but potato hand grenade. Y'know... :P

:D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2011, 12:25 AM »
grrr....

outage... on phone... serious WWW withdrawl... phone insufficient for fix... must... get... connected... hard... to... breathe... going dim...

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56 AM »
BTW - I still love that "while(! dead_horse){beat}"!

Yeah, that was inspired :D