topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Listary – search all lists in Windows  (Read 16116 times)

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Listary – search all lists in Windows
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:49 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I want to share my freeware utility Listary with you. It was inspired by some nifty search boxes in Linux and Mac at the beginning, and then so many useful additional features from user feedbacks are packed into it. It's a little hard to describe what Listary can do for you in words now, so please just watch this video. I'm sure you'll be shocked!

[youtube=640,505]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_ybScYNV4[/youtube]

Features:
1. Add find-as-you-type search feature to all lists in Windows. File lists in Explorer and file open/save dialogs, task list in Task Manager, desktop, 7-Zip, FileZilla, jump list in Win7… every list can be searched in a flash

2. Useful commands such as "Copy path to clipboard", "Run Command Prompt in current folder" and "Toggle file extension display". Support of hot keys and 64-bit systems makes it much more convenient than shell extensions.

3. Text Editing. This feature allows you to edit text ANYWHERE with your favorite text editor. It works pretty much the same way as the famous Firefox add-on It's All Text, but Listary supports all applications including all the famous web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.

Homepage: http://www.listary.com/

Please don't hesitate to reply or contact with me directly at [email protected] if you have any questions or suggestions! Any feedback is appreciated :-*

Regards,
Channing

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Listary – search all lists in Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:23 AM »
this looks very cool. the edit text with favorite editor is a clever idea (something long overdue for writing online).

the quick select and navigation is an even better idea though. something that has definitely annoyed me on a day-to-day basis.

i'll download and give it a good try today. thanks, Channing.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:04 AM by nudone »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:09 AM »
Which Linux app gave the comparable features to Listary?

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Which Linux app gave the comparable features to Listary?

It seems that there isn't an app that can do exactly the same thing in Linux, but most lists in Gnome have a build-in search box that allows you to select an item by typing the first few letters. Although this is not "search", I think it's still much better compared to Windows: you know what you've typed, you can fix typos and you don't need to fight with time-out.

Ubuntu-2010-07-09-20-20-10.png

ecaradec

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blog & Projects
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:07 AM »
very nice, thank you
Blog & Projects : Blog | Qatapult | SwiffOut | FScript

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Thank you all! Please help spread the word if you like it  ;D

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:56 AM »
I'll have to give this a whirl soon, it looks like it does quite a lot, and the website you have for it is perfect as I am thinking of how to design a page for my NANY 2011 app (see sig). From the screencast I had the impression it takes up a lot of hotkeys but I'll assume it's customizable. Impressive that it interfaces so closely with the Windows UI and works with 64-bit as well (which I have).

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:03 AM by daddydave »

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 11:03 AM »
I'll have to give this a whirl soon, it looks like it does quite a lot, and the website you have for it is perfect as I am thinking of how to design a page for my NANY 2011 app (see sig). From the screencast I had the impression it takes up a lot of hotkeys but I'll assume it's customizable.

Yes, everything is customizable: the hotkeys, the commands and the folder names.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Channing.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I don't know where to find "/"... on your keyboard,
but on mine it is above "7"; you know: shift+7
-meaning that non-americanized keyboard users only fully can use the $20 PRO version?

Other than that, I am impressed.  :up:

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 02:44 PM »
I don't know where to find "/"... on your keyboard,
but on mine it is above "7"; you know: shift+7
-meaning that non-americanized keyboard users only fully can use the $20 PRO version?

Other than that, I am impressed.  :up:
Wow, I've never heard of a keyboard layout like that. "/" is on the bottom left corner in the standardized layout, and I thought it was easy to press. I'll make this key configurable in future versions.
2010-07-11 03 43 48.png

You can use hot keys to run commands as shown in the video if you really hate "Shift" 8). Everything mentioned in the video and the post is available in the freeware version of Listary, and you don't need to purchase the pro version if you use Listary only at home (not in your office).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 04:49 AM »
[...]
"/" is on the bottom left corner in the standardized layout, and I thought it was easy to press. I'll make this key configurable in future versions. (see attachment in previous post)
You can use hot keys to run commands as shown in the video if you really hate "Shift" 8). Everything mentioned in the video and the post is available in the freeware version of Listary, and you don't need to purchase the pro version if you use Listary only at home (not in your office).

"/" is above 7 on the german language keyboard as well...

You dont have any trial, do you ?
Could someone install the free version on a work machine to test it for a limited time (e.g. in my case I have two pc's, both are shared between work & personal stuff - I'm self-employed & work from home.)
Tom

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 07:27 AM »
[...]
"/" is on the bottom left corner in the standardized layout, and I thought it was easy to press. I'll make this key configurable in future versions. (see attachment in previous post)

"/" is above 7 on the german language keyboard as well...

It must be a real pain to type in web addresses, too, then.

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 07:59 AM »
You dont have any trial, do you ?
Sorry that no trial of pro version is available.

Could someone install the free version on a work machine to test it for a limited time (e.g. in my case I have two pc's, both are shared between work & personal stuff - I'm self-employed & work from home.)
Yes, please feel free to try it.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 06:59 AM »
Taking a look at this today, and the first thing I notice is a keyboard shortcut conflict between Listary and Xplorer2.

Xplorer2 uses Shift + Ctrl + [any letter] to jump to the drive of the letter specified.
eg. Shift + Ctrl + c goes to the root of C:

Several of these clash with default shortcuts in Listary > Copy file path, Favourites - Desktop etc.

I realise that these can be changed, but thought you should be aware, as this frustration is the very first thing I came across in what looks to be an interesting product!

Second thing I discovered was that I can't add my own favourites in the free edition. this is a great shame, since this feature is perhaps the one in which I am most interested, as Listary might be a replacement for my current dialog extender.

I understand that you need to keep some features back for the commercial version, but perhaps allowing 1 or 2 user defined favourites, to see how the system works, might be a better enticement to upgrade?

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Taking a look at this today, and the first thing I notice is a keyboard shortcut conflict between Listary and Xplorer2.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I've just made some changes. The hot keys are "smarter" now - they will only work when they need to (in Explorers and file open/save dialog for example), and won't conflict with xplorer2 anymore.

Please download the latest version here.

P.S. Listary can add find-as-you-type feature to xplorer2, please view this post on xplorer2 forum.

Second thing I discovered was that I can't add my own favourites in the free edition. this is a great shame, since this feature is perhaps the one in which I am most interested, as Listary might be a replacement for my current dialog extender.

I understand that you need to keep some features back for the commercial version, but perhaps allowing 1 or 2 user defined favourites, to see how the system works, might be a better enticement to upgrade?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll think about it.