topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Few Question about C++ Express Edition n Winimage !  (Read 6215 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Few Question about C++ Express Edition n Winimage !
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:13 PM »
Question #1
Hello folks,
             i want to dload MS Visual c++ Express Edition: although when i dloaded a small 2MB Bootstrape was downloaded and upon installing it proceed to download/install MS Visual c++ Express Edition: During installation it would download :
  • MS Silverlight Runtime 1.4 MB
  • MS SQL Server 2008 Express Edition 86 74 MB
As an optional, but MS Visual c++ Express Edition is alone 92MB and installs on C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\ : what i want to know is after download install will i be able to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition , so that i can later use it to install on my pc. Since Express Edition is a freeware...i got many other links to Express edition with DVD iso with size 800/700 MB which i don't require.  Is it possible to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition, backing the Registry is not a problem for me:

Question #2

I hope many people know Winimage and use it to make backup of their floppies:
Learn about Winimage here:Little about Winmage:
WinImage is a fully-fledged disk-imaging suite for easy creation, reading and editing of many image formats and fileystems, including DMF, VHD, FAT, ISO, NTFS and Linux. The disk image is an exact copy of a physical disk (floppy, CD-ROM, hard disk, USB, VHD disk, etc.)
Download WinImage any version:
U see i use v8.5, v3 and v4 also runs on my PC, but strangly v5 doesn't run: When i check the Task Manager it consume a little about 4000K of memory:

Readme for WInimage v5 clearly states:
If you are running MSDOS + Windows 3.1x, you need to install Win32s 1.30.
There is a link to download Win32s at http://www.winimage.com/othertl.htm
You can also add FDREAD.EXE to your AUTOEXEC.BAT to read 1.68/DMF floppies.

(Note : FDREAD is only for MSDOS 5.x/6.x, NOT for Windows 95/Windows NT)
So i proceeded to install Win32s 1.30, still i dont see the interference: Winimage v5 was Win 98 platform : but i m using Winxp SP3. So i presume it has to be compatibility issues:
Can someone tell me how do i make it work: any suggestion is greatly welcomed and appreciated:
People of DonationCoder has been really great please keep up the good work:)

Many thanks:

ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Few Question about C++ Express Edition n Winimage !
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:25 PM »
what i want to know is after download install will i be able to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition , so that i can later use it to install on my pc. Since Express Edition is a freeware...i got many other links to Express edition with DVD iso with size 800/700 MB which i don't require.  Is it possible to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition, backing the Registry is not a problem for me:

For all the time you would spend getting that working, I would go ahead and spend the 10 cents on the CD, unless your time is worth absolutely nothing. I'm serious.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Esp. if you want to install on multiple PCs I would suggest you get the image containing with VS 2008 Express editions with SP1 integrated. If you search MS downloads you can find it.  I could not get C# express from 2008 to go on my machine until I installed from that disc.  It went on smoothly and stuff worked as expected once installed.

It may be a Vista quirk but chances are if it goes on Vista smoothly it will go on anything.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:23 PM »
For all the time you would spend getting that working, I would go ahead and spend the 10 cents on the CD, unless your time is worth absolutely nothing. I'm serious.
May be i h' posted in a wrong forum but still its not something i h' done that infringes the forums policy: I m a hobbyist and i like to try my hands on C language: So its necessary to h' at least the tools needed to get the job done:
Since Express edition installs on :
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\
I could just zip it and again backing the registry is not too difficult:  :-\
Money is not an issue here: its not like i take a taxi and in 20min i reach the nearest market, not to  mention their aren't any distributor here: the nearest one is 720 KM from my place,,,,,so this is second time u'r picking on me, with due respect n u aren't somebody to judge someone by its character at least by it post: but still i forgive u......

Direct Download of MS-2008 Express Edition
[Size:748mb]
I m on a narrow band and can't really afford to wait for 5/10 hrs for it to complete. Hence all these questions:
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Sorry, I'm probably making too many assumptions. It's probably doable, using a similar skill set to making an app portable making custom installs. Didn't realize you were paying that much for bandwidth, I pay a flat fee.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:25 PM by daddydave »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 02:30 PM »
It's very possible that the bootstrapper will download a reasonably self contained package would could then be used to install VC++ on other machines. But finding were it gets downloaded to and hoping the bootstrapper won't delete the files when it's done it's job could be the tricky bit. I actually have the ISO image here and inside it things like MSDN or Platform SDK do indeed seem to be fairly standalone.

I suspect the zipping and registry backup method would in this case be a lost cause, developers tools, especially one as complex as VC++ will install lots for separate programs and configuration settings all over a system :(

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 03:54 PM »
so this is second time u'r picking on me, with due respect n u aren't somebody to judge someone by its character at least by it post: but still i forgive u.....

I wasn't picking on you, I am honestly trying to understand the problem, although I understand where you are coming from, I think anything I say at this point is going to be interpreted in light of my response on the previous post. So maybe I shouldn't try. Is the main problem that there isn't a separate standalone (non-bootstrap) installer for Visual C++? (I think I understand the CD contains VB Express, C# Express, SQL Express, etc, things you don't need.)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I'm surprised there's not an online form to order the express DVD disc at a nominal fee.  At least I couldn't find it.  Seems like it would be a good PR move as not everyone has broadband.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 11:17 PM »
what i want to know is after download install will i be able to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition

This sounds like you're downloading the ISO anyway, so I'm still not clear on what benefit you're getting.

Anyway in my folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express - ENU there is a file setup.exe that seems to be the actual VC++ Express setup, ir brings up the wizard and offers to repair or uninstall Visual C++ Express.  The file is 314KB but it might require the entire folder, which on my system is 111MB. That is at least small enough to fit most USB drives I see these days. As noted already, it would probably require some experimentation to see if it would work. Is there some target size you are aiming for to be able to carry the install to the other computer?

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:26 PM »
All right, hulkbuster, I owe you one. Let me tackle the WinImage question.

If you check this page, it gives this information for WinImage 5.0:

Contains the Win32 Intel version in English for Windows NT-x86, Windows 95 and Windows 3.1+Win32s, with the WinImage self-extractor.
311,365 bytes (approx. 1 minute 30 seconds at 28.8 K)

So there is no surprise that it doesn't run in Windows 98. The author is aware of it, that's why newer versions exist.

Please also note your own quote. "If you are running MSDOS + Windows 3.1x, you need to install Win32s 1.30." means just what it says, there was no reason to install Win32s on Windows 98. Windows 3.1 was the version of Windows prior to Windows 95. Microsoft wanted to give developers a head start on writing 32-bit applications back during the 16 bit Windows 3.1 days. That is the only reason Win32s ever existed. As I understand it, what Win32s did was let some 32bit programs run on the 16-bit Windows 3.1.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:28 PM by daddydave »