ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Few Question about C++ Express Edition n Winimage !

<< < (2/2)

Eóin:
It's very possible that the bootstrapper will download a reasonably self contained package would could then be used to install VC++ on other machines. But finding were it gets downloaded to and hoping the bootstrapper won't delete the files when it's done it's job could be the tricky bit. I actually have the ISO image here and inside it things like MSDN or Platform SDK do indeed seem to be fairly standalone.

I suspect the zipping and registry backup method would in this case be a lost cause, developers tools, especially one as complex as VC++ will install lots for separate programs and configuration settings all over a system :(

daddydave:
so this is second time u'r picking on me, with due respect n u aren't somebody to judge someone by its character at least by it post: but still i forgive u.....
-hulkbuster (June 05, 2010, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wasn't picking on you, I am honestly trying to understand the problem, although I understand where you are coming from, I think anything I say at this point is going to be interpreted in light of my response on the previous post. So maybe I shouldn't try. Is the main problem that there isn't a separate standalone (non-bootstrap) installer for Visual C++? (I think I understand the CD contains VB Express, C# Express, SQL Express, etc, things you don't need.)

MilesAhead:
I'm surprised there's not an online form to order the express DVD disc at a nominal fee.  At least I couldn't find it.  Seems like it would be a good PR move as not everyone has broadband.

daddydave:
what i want to know is after download install will i be able to extract the setup of MS Visual c++ Express Edition
--- End quote ---

This sounds like you're downloading the ISO anyway, so I'm still not clear on what benefit you're getting.

Anyway in my folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express - ENU there is a file setup.exe that seems to be the actual VC++ Express setup, ir brings up the wizard and offers to repair or uninstall Visual C++ Express.  The file is 314KB but it might require the entire folder, which on my system is 111MB. That is at least small enough to fit most USB drives I see these days. As noted already, it would probably require some experimentation to see if it would work. Is there some target size you are aiming for to be able to carry the install to the other computer?

daddydave:
All right, hulkbuster, I owe you one. Let me tackle the WinImage question.

If you check this page, it gives this information for WinImage 5.0:

Contains the Win32 Intel version in English for Windows NT-x86, Windows 95 and Windows 3.1+Win32s, with the WinImage self-extractor.
311,365 bytes (approx. 1 minute 30 seconds at 28.8 K)

--- End quote ---

So there is no surprise that it doesn't run in Windows 98. The author is aware of it, that's why newer versions exist.

Please also note your own quote. "If you are running MSDOS + Windows 3.1x, you need to install Win32s 1.30." means just what it says, there was no reason to install Win32s on Windows 98. Windows 3.1 was the version of Windows prior to Windows 95. Microsoft wanted to give developers a head start on writing 32-bit applications back during the 16 bit Windows 3.1 days. That is the only reason Win32s ever existed. As I understand it, what Win32s did was let some 32bit programs run on the 16-bit Windows 3.1.

Hope this helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version