topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 :: Entry Ideas & Requests  (Read 65653 times)

NinJA999

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 :: Entry Ideas & Requests
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 12:48 PM »
I have an idea: a personal spending habit report tool.
Now that Wesabe is gone, I'm looking for an app where you can tag, catagorize and report on your spending and income using exported bank statements from online banking sites. So you import a series of bank statements, catagorize them and report so you see via graphs where your money goes and how spending habits have changed. It would be an app that would have a big market.

what was great about wesabe for me was that it recognised similar lines in bank statements so the second time you shop at shop x it would already catagorize that line for you.

Sorry to reply so much later (just saw this via the newsletter) but have you tried Mint.com?  I use it for *exactly* what you describe.  And it can automatically frob the information from the bank accounts as transactions post -- so before you even get a statement!  You should really check it out.

And no, I don't work for Mint.  I've just been using it for a couple of years and it's super cool to be able to track my spending habits over those months.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 06:55 AM »
Here's a new NANY idea/request:

URL Speed Tracker:

Idea: A utility meant to continuously track the speeds of opening certain web pages/downloading files.

Motivation: It can be important, especially when setting up a new server, to be able to watch the speed and watch for any failures of pages to load.  This program will continuously grab pages and track speeds over time to let you know the health of a server.

• The main interface should be a grid where you can add new urls (of pages or files).
  • Then a set of columns for running speed averages, averaged over longer windows (i can elaborate later).
  • A button to toggle on/off fetching.

Options:
  • 1. how often it should recheck urls
  • 2. it should save/load the last set of urls.

With regard to tracking over longer averages:
  • A really deluxe version would be able to plot the speeds over time of a given url.
  • But short of that, what one wants is some indication of avg speed over different time windows.  So for example it would be nice to know last speed (avg over 1 try), and then over maybe the last 10 tries, then over last 100, over last 1000, etc (the last value would give you a true baseline).
  • Rather than keeping track of every download speed (needed if you want to graph), a simple heuristic solution to these would be to keep track of, for each url, a decaying average with a different decay rate.  ie DisplayValue = DisplayValue*Decay + NewValue  where Decay is from 0 to 1, and the lower the value the shorter the time window for averaging.

I could really use such a thing.. any takers?  if not i may code it.

Bonus:
I can see how this would be useful for cross-platform environment, and specifically if it could be run continuously in commandline mode on a linux server.  But for me right now a windows-only version would be fine.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:03 AM by mouser »

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57 AM »

I can see how this would be useful for cross-platform environment, and specifically if it could be run continuously in commandline mode on a linux server.  But for me right now a windows-only version would be fine.

Linux already has this kind of..

time wget -p http://somedomain.com

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I would love to have an app like that too, but a Windows solution would be needed for me.

- Oshyan

NinJA999

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Here's a new NANY idea/request:

URL Speed Tracker:

Idea: A utility meant to continuously track the speeds of opening certain web pages/downloading files.

Motivation: It can be important, especially when setting up a new server, to be able to watch the speed and watch for any failures of pages to load.  This program will continuously grab pages and track speeds over time to let you know the health of a server.

• The main interface should be a grid where you can add new urls (of pages or files).
  • Then a set of columns for running speed averages, averaged over longer windows (i can elaborate later).
  • A button to toggle on/off fetching.

Options:
  • 1. how often it should recheck urls
  • 2. it should save/load the last set of urls.

With regard to tracking over longer averages:
  • A really deluxe version would be able to plot the speeds over time of a given url.
  • But short of that, what one wants is some indication of avg speed over different time windows.  So for example it would be nice to know last speed (avg over 1 try), and then over maybe the last 10 tries, then over last 100, over last 1000, etc (the last value would give you a true baseline).
  • Rather than keeping track of every download speed (needed if you want to graph), a simple heuristic solution to these would be to keep track of, for each url, a decaying average with a different decay rate.  ie DisplayValue = DisplayValue*Decay + NewValue  where Decay is from 0 to 1, and the lower the value the shorter the time window for averaging.

I could really use such a thing.. any takers?  if not i may code it.

Bonus:

I've been kludging something together for this, and since I've spent a little time on it I figured I'd pledge.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Awesome  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

hegearon

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I've been kludging something together for this, and since I've spent a little time on it I figured I'd pledge.

Damn me! I was about to pledge for this too!
Is it against the rules if I pledge my version too? Because I was working on it for the last 2-3 days and it's very close to be finished.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 04:08 PM »

Damn me! I was about to pledge for this too!
Is it against the rules if I pledge my version too? Because I was working on it for the last 2-3 days and it's very close to be finished.

I don't see why not? It's bound to be implemented differently... and gives us more choice (where would we be if there were only one text editor?)...

Incidentally, I guess Pledging early is a good way of indicating your intentions  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Please do -- the more the merrier.  :up:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 04:38 PM »
I have the opposite problem - I want to pledge for 2012 already  :-[

guyincourtenay

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Entry Ideas/Request
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 09:21 AM »
NANY...great site...thanks for the information!
Now a question, for those who use software like NANY, or ?:
Years ago, probably on Windows 98, I used a utility which showed the number of files inside a directory.
When you used Windows Explorer, and your 'left column' showed the main entries, you clicked on one to open, and the right pane shows those file members, right? No problem.
But on the bottom line of display, again on the left pane above what is now the 'START' button, it showed the NUMBER of file entries in the displayed right pane.
It was handy when viewing large files, such as MP3 libraries and PICTURES, etc.
Sorry...it's hard for me to explain, but there used to be a utility that did this?
Anyone remember this one, or know of one?
I suspect it's one that would be in a 'file management' classification, but I've yet to find it...?
Help?

:(

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 09:24 AM »
^^that's got to be one of the most interesting first posts at DC ever.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 09:35 AM »
I generally use plain old explorer:
Screenshot - 12_01_2011 , 2_32_17 AM.png

Years ago, probably on Windows 98, I used a utility which showed the number of files inside a directory.
When you used Windows Explorer, and your 'left column' showed the main entries, you clicked on one to open, and the right pane shows those file members, right? No problem.
But on the bottom line of display, again on the left pane above what is now the 'START' button, it showed the NUMBER of file entries in the displayed right pane.
Sorry...it's hard for me to explain, but there used to be a utility that did this?
I suspect it's one that would be in a 'file management' classification, but I've yet to find it...?
Help?

-guyincourtenay (January 11, 2011, 09:21 AM)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Help?

-guyincourtenay (January 11, 2011, 09:21 AM)

Welcome aboard. Which Courtenay?

I bet any of the good File Managers can do that stuff. For intance Directory Opus can definitely do it, and I bet even the freeware ones can... is it XYManager someone?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 09:42 AM »
I don't mean to brag, but I've been told my status bar is the envy of all the world.  I use DOpus:
screenshot_20110111074115.pngNANY 2011 :: Entry Ideas & Requests