topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: could two numeric keypads work at the same time  (Read 39749 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: could two numeric keypads work at the same time
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 05:37 PM »
the dreaded gadget goblin came out in me
That must have been orcward!
-cranioscopical (May 06, 2010, 09:49 PM)
ohoh, a troll...
Let's cross that bridge when we come to it!
-cranioscopical (May 07, 2010, 03:39 AM)

fairy nough

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2010, 06:36 PM »
ohoh, a troll...

fairy nough

And here's to your very good elf!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42 PM »
ohoh, a troll...

fairy nough
-cranioscopical (May 09, 2010, 06:36 PM)

I am dwarfed by your generosity!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2010, 10:51 PM »
ohoh, a troll...

fairy nough
-cranioscopical (May 09, 2010, 06:36 PM)

I am dwarfed by your generosity!

And I thought your lack of height was caused by those Gamgee legs.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2010, 11:43 PM »
shirely you're not serious (though I'm afrodo you might be...)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 08:30 AM »
shirely you're not serious (though I'm afrodo you might be...)
I was trying to be Frank.
Now, with the two of us at working at once, I'm just too num to keypad it.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 08:52 AM »
if you are considering this Trust numeric key pad, Perry, then i'd say it's okay. it's very thin, i.e. the depth is about 1.5 cm at the most. the cable isn't very long - but that shouldn't matter for laptop use.

I haven't seen "Trust" locally (that doesn't sound very good, does it  :huh:), but the description sounds very much like the cheap ones here. And like you I reckon that for the use it'll get, should be fine. Thanks for the heads up...

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 06:50 AM »
the microsoft sidewider x6 keyboard arrived today.

absolutely totally useless.

whoever owned it before has worn it out to the point that several main keys need to be hit with a hammer to work. so, it's of no use as a keyboard.

otherwise it looked quite good. now, i just need to decide whether to rush out and buy another one. and whilst typing this, i've just realised it's not even a UK key layout.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 09:05 AM »
okay, new sidewinder x6 keyboard now bought from PC World (where i was going to get it from last week).

this is a very impressive keyboard. the numeric keys are out of the way on the left (but can be quickly slotted back onto the right-hand-side; if ever required). the keyboard retains the standard right position of the cursor and home keys - which i'm glad about as i've realised it do use these a lot without looking at them.

the feel of the keys is nice enough (how the eBay guy managed to ruin them i can't imagine). and they are illuminated - better than they are on the logitech g11 keyboard.

but most of all, it provides a good area for the mouse to move around and there are plenty of programmable keys (at least, 90 of them).

the bonus feature is that the programmable functions can be tied to specific programs, i.e. so a key will perform different actions depending on which program has focus - or you can have global keys.

the question is now what to do with the junk eBay sidewinder x6 keyboard.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 09:14 AM »
the feel of the keys is nice enough (how the eBay guy managed to ruin them i can't imagine). and they are illuminated - better than they are on the logitech g11 keyboard.

but most of all, it provides a good area for the mouse to move around and there are plenty of programmable keys (at least, 90 of them).

the bonus feature is that the programmable functions can be tied to specific programs, i.e. so a key will perform different actions depending on which program has focus - or you can have global keys.
Interesting. I'd be glad to hear how you get on with it over the next week or so.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 09:27 AM »
i think i ought to do a full review about it, Chris.

i'm finding lots of little features about it that make it stand out from other keyboards.

e.g.

extra "bumps" on some of the keys so you can identify where you fingers are resting on the keyboard.

there are LEDs to indicate which "bank" (out of three) of programmable keys you are using. nothing that special there, but i've just noticed that there are extra LEDs to indicate a program is in focus that you've assigned unique programmed keys to.

it will take me a while to realise what is the best way (for me) to use all of these features. so after that i'll aim to do a write-up.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 09:49 AM »
it will take me a while to realise what is the best way (for me) to use all of these features. so after that i'll aim to do a write-up.
Thanks, I look forward to it.
I live way out in a rural area and haven't seen a physical example of this anywhere within striking distance.
There's no way I can buy a keyboard without first trying the feel of its keys.
I'll probably be in NY within a few weeks, so I'll look around there if I get the time.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2010, 03:46 PM »
i love when we have these threads where one forum member is able to help another -- (nice work Target!)

so after that i'll aim to do a write-up.

that would be very cool.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2010, 05:31 PM »
i love when we have these threads where one forum member is able to help another -- (nice work Target!)

FWIW, it's a buzz to actually be able help out.

this was actually a a pretty good find, albeit accidental.

it looks like the potential here could also be far greater than one would normally expect from humble keyboard (and lets be honest, they're not normally very exciting), so I'm guessing a lot of people will be watching this one closely

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2010, 04:49 PM »
the question is now what to do with the junk eBay sidewinder x6 keyboard.
You could see what happens if you hook its keypad to the opposite side of the new keyboard. Will both work?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2010, 03:44 AM »
yeah, i did wonder about that too. it's a bit strange: plugging both numeric keypads in just disables them both. the back lights go off and none of the keys appear to work (maybe they work if you mess about with the options somehow - i'm assuming they just won't).

it could have been something to show off at a LAN party (if i went to them); a double width keyboard with everything plugged in side-by-side. i could have pretended it gave me an advantage when fragging - and thereby set a whole new trend.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2010, 07:15 AM »
plugging both numeric keypads in just disables them both
Well, at least it was an inexpensive way to find out.

Have you thought about one of these?
Keyboard.jpg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2010, 07:15 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2010, 07:22 AM »
heheh. perfect. well almost. i'm sure Vangelis had something similar that went the whole way around the back too - it looked like he was sitting in a nest made out of keyboards. i guess i've got something to aim for yet...

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 08:20 PM »
i think i ought to do a full review about it, Chris.

i'm finding lots of little features about it that make it stand out from other keyboards.

<snipped>

hey nudone, any progress on this (4 weeks on how is it holding up?)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2010, 04:26 AM »
i guess i lost my enthusiasm to do a full review of the ms sidewinder x6 after i found it to be less than perfect.

Positive points:
  • good key illumination across the board. key characters/text and key edges are illuminated. a dial allows brightness to be adjusted - or turned off.
  • numeric keypad section can be, quickly, switched between left or right side placement. (two keypads, one either side, will not work - both will be disabled).
  • numeric keypad on left side allows for more room for mouse travel (for right handed mousers). see negative comments below though...
  • lots of programmable keys - plus LEDs indicate which "bank" of keys is selected (3 banks available, plus 6 of the keys use a toggle button to double them up).
  • keyboard action feels quite "nice". i can't really offer more than that, it just seems better than my previous keyboard.
  • volume control dial.
  • 4 media keys, i.e. play/pause, back, forward, mute.
  • some kind of "game" specific keys; no idea what they do.
  • several keys have bumps on them. i haven't needed them but i can imagine it being useful if i made the effort to remember them.

okay, so nothing that unusual there.

Negative points:
  • programmable key software manager is pretty terrible. it's a click, click, click, click kind of method to set anything up (well, lots more clicks). very annoying. i've decided to ignore it for most things and just use autohotkey instead.
  • no back risers. keyboard lies completely flat unless you put something under the top edge (a bit of wood in my case).
  • numeric keypad on left side still doesn't seem to make a great deal of right hand mouse room. i'm still hitting the keyboard's right edge with my mouse. i've thought about getting a keyboard that has more of a laptop keyboard size and layout. i haven't bought one because i think it's still handy to have the home and cursor keys on the right - where i expect them to be through habit. (i could also blame my MX Revolution mouse for being too wide.)
  • escape key is further to the left than "normal". annoying as i touch type.
  • F, function keys, are a non "standard" size. so they are wider and closer together. annoying as i touch type.
  • macro buttons are close to main keys - easy to hit the wrong key when going for Ctrl key.
  • key remapping not very clever using the software manager. autohotkey has to be used instead. e.g. can't make key s6 map to Ctrl key (to avoid problem mentioned above).
  • back light is red. that's it. it would have been nice to have a choice of blue and green too. the red does look quite nice though.
  • volume dial is slow to respond.
  • they keys ¦ and | are the wrong way around.
  • the macro keys can be slow to respond. i set some up for cut/copy/paste. a quick hit of those keys might only perform a single key hit, so the output is like this instead: x/c/p instead of ctrl+x, ctrl+c, ctrl+v
  • no obvious place where the keyboard manager saves the configuration files.

Conclusion
they keyboard is okay. i can live with the faults, just a matter of getting used to things or working around them (with autohotkey). i've been a bit too busy to set it all up how i like - after that i'll, probably, realise how much better this keyboard is than my last one.

it isn't the ultimate keyboard i was hoping it to be. a better key manager program would make a big difference. i'm not sure what i really feel about the home and cursor key placement. i do like a bit of tradition but removing them would give more mouse room - maybe this mouse room issue is nothing really.

will i buy another keyboard?

maybe. if so, then it will be something completely different - one more like the laptop size i mentioned. i've just not seen any good ones with good key illumination. you may say why do i need lights when i touch type, i obviously don't need to look at the keys. well, i don't know all the keys - so i do have to look sometimes - and it's quite dark in here in the evenings.

edit:
forgot to mention a very obvious negative point:

- numeric keypad on left means you have to relearn the key layout with your left hand. i seem to have resorted to using the top row number keys instead. not really sure if i'll ever force myself to learn how to dial all the numbers with my left hand on the pad.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:36 AM by nudone »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2010, 04:42 PM »
A grail more holey that holy, then?

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2010, 05:32 PM »
i guess i lost my enthusiasm to do a full review of the ms sidewinder x6 after i found it to be less than perfect.

no need, you've just covered all the necessary ground.

It's disappointing that they couldn't come up with a better implementation of the macroing software, especially as there are already many examples that do work well (I've done a little more research and it appears this is a common complaint for this hardware - it also appears that some of the keys may not work if the software isn't installed)

I wondered about the numpad placement as it seemed like it was really intended for lefties, and you're experience confirms it (that said there's nothing to stop someone retraining themselves to use it that way, though it may mean they'll never be able use a 'normal' keyboard again...)

I'll be interested in you're continuing adventures with this - it seems like less may be more here

thanks for the update!!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2010, 12:26 AM »
i'll just add that i did also buy a numeric keypad that i thought i might use on the right hand side.

the thing is, where do you put it when the idea is to make lots of room for mouse travel.

i thought maybe it could go a little further back so it would be accessible but out of the way. putting it anywhere other than the traditional place on the right just means it becomes another annoyance. it seems a little pathetic, i'm sure, but just having to reach for something to use for a few key presses is too much bother - so this numeric keypad doesn't get used at all.

it's all down to laziness really. i mean, how long would it take to learn to use they numeric keys with my left hand - i think just a few hours - maybe an hour?

i'll just have to make time for it and then i'll report back about it.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 03:33 AM »
just discovered another bad point about the sidewinder's default program for managing hotkeys...

...you can't use the Winkey.  :o

maybe you can use it if you fiddle around with the "macro" manager side of things. but i really can't be bothered to go through all that as it's far too convoluted.

but, seriously, no winkey support? this is a microsoft branded keyboard - how can they ignore their own key.

retards.