topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: two-monitors ergonomics  (Read 39050 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: two-monitors ergonomics
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Does anyone use custom multi-monitor stands?

I've got two Samsung 22" monitors (one in the centre and one to the right) and their flimsy (but very "Samsung pretty") stands mean that every knock against the desk turns them in to perpetual-motion Mr Bobbleheads...

Are there sturdy desk-mount options or am I best off going for hideously-expensive wall-mounted options (although these would be good as they could be pushed against the wall when the desk space is needed)?
At my work, we use these monitor arms that can be clamped or bolted to your desk.  They are fantastic.  I'm going to get one for my house (I use two 24" widescreen monitors).  The company that makes them is called HumanScale.  They are not cheap.  I'm guessing it will run you between $400-500.  But, they are solid devices.  Still, it is somewhat expensive.

In my case, I don't skimp on things that correct my posture or reduce future back injuries.  Without the monitor arms, my neck inches forward during the day.  I'm already starting to develop upper back pain because of my crappy mattress.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 02:00 PM »
i dont use any special stands, they are too expensive for my tastes.

mnemonic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 02:29 PM »
The company that makes them is called HumanScale.  They are not cheap.  I'm guessing it will run you between $400-500.  

:o Maybe I'll have to put up with the Bobbleheads  ;D

Perhaps a shelf bolted to the wall just above the desk might do the job...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:32 PM by mnemonic »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 03:29 PM »
They are expensive.  But without them, i find my head slumping forward, and pretty soon, I'll have upper back problems and I'll end up looking like a hunchback.  I can already feel the pain.  The problem with me is that I'm somewhat tall and lanky.  I have long legs, an average torso, and long arms.  So the correct typing position for me is having a low desk so my arms can be relaxed, but that interferes with my long legs, so it has to be just high enough to let my legs underneath the desk.  But if I do that, the monitors are WAY too low, and I'm looking down.  So, that's why I need monitor arms to raise it up to my eye level.

I never used to care about ergo, but after getting the monitor arms, I've seen how it makes a lot of sense.  But the real culprit is my crappy mattress.  before that, I never ever had pain in my back.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 05:38 PM »
This probably isn't the correct place for this post, but what the heck...it relates.

Seven years ago I was facing needing a new monitor & this was in the infancy of LCD monitors where no matter what you chose you were going to have to accept shortcomings that were not present in CRT monitors at the time so rather than have to deal with deficiencies in my monitor I ordered the biggest, best CRT I could find...an NEC FP2141SB 22" Diamondtron monitor. Other than desk space occupied it easily trounced every LCD monitor when it came to image quality.

Fast forward to today & my monitor is starting to have problems & I am needing a new monitor yet again. I've been heavily researching monitors for the past week and....what the fudge??!!?!! And even these years later it's the same landscape..."no matter what you chose you are going to have to accept shortcomings that are not present in CRT monitors"!!

Even if you go high-end with an IPS-based panel you are facing the risk of getting one with dead pixels, color uniformity issues, etc. And don't even get me started on the sRGB vs. wide gamut hoo-ha!!

What happened to progress?? Bah....maybe I'll just pay to have this Death Star-esque CRT fixed & see what the LCD/LED monitor landscape is like again in another 7 years.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 05:42 PM »
i resisted LCDs for a long time.  i can't comment on image quality.  what i can say is that the benefit in terms of savings in desk space, especially when you have 2 to 4 monitors, is impossible to overestimate.  it is one reason i would never go back to CRTs at any price.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Dunno about quality difference between CRT and TFT - might still be issues if you're doing graphical design, but I don't. Image quality is just fine on my samsungs, and I don't experience ghosting issues in games or movies. And TFTs have the big quality over CRTs that they're a lot easier on the eyes; while they're still not 100% flicker-free, they easily beat 85Hz CRTs (and yes, I've reached a point where 75Hz is unbearable and I still notice a slight sense of flickering at 85Hz).
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2010, 06:18 PM »
as above. i laughed at LCD technology for a few years and stuck with a CRT (quite decent for the time) monitor. i couldn't help but pass my opinion on to the owners of LCD screens when i sat in front of them - they were rubbish after all.

eventually, during a total system upgrade, i bit the bullet and went for an Eizo 24" (at the time over £1000), as it promised to be an amazing monitor.

is it? well, yes and no. it doesn't have the contrast of a decent CRT monitor - i don't believe anything with a backlight can be. BUT, like mouser, i'd never go back to using a CRT now. the pixel sharp image makes any CRT look daft - they just can't do it. and as f0dder says, looking at something that flickers - i can't believe we all had to sit in front of such torture machines. never again.

okay, this Eizo screen is still something above average - but i'd expect something about half the price to be as good now, well maybe 3/4 of the price. there's a clear difference between a decent LCD and a budget one, they still aren't absolutely fantastic - maybe LED is better, i don't know (i assume so if the backlight problem has been sorted out).

get a good LCD (or some improved technology) and i think you'll not be 100% satisfied with it - but it will still be more enjoyable to stare at than any CRT.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:21 PM by nudone »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2010, 10:39 PM »
I'd love to try out an Eizo, but they are extremely cost prohibitive here in the U.S...even more so than they are in Europe. I think a major problem is that the brick & mortar stores only sell units with TN panels. Definitely the bottom of the barrel quality-wise....

I've got my eye set on an HP zr24w right now. It seems to be one of the better units out there & doesn't have a bad price, either. I just need to find a place that sells it at a decent price that has a good return policy.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2010, 02:06 AM »
interesting. i did assume they'd be cheaper in the US. good luck with the HP screen then.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2010, 08:08 PM »
interesting. i did assume they'd be cheaper in the US. good luck with the HP screen then.

Why did you assume that? Eizo is a European company, isn't it?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Isn't Eizo a Japanese company?

https://secure.wikim...kipedia/en/wiki/Eizo

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 01:40 AM »
I really had no idea where Eizo is from. it was just an assumption that they'd be cheaper like most things appear to be cheaper in the US (compared with the UK, at least).

if i had to make a guess i would have said Eizo is either Japanese or Chinese. (obvioulsy Japanese from ewemoa's comment.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:43 AM by nudone »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Oh, I wasn't sure....the only thing I know for sure about Eizo is that their monitors start around $1,300 which means I don't need to investigate them any farther. :D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Took delivery of an HP ZR24W. I managed to get it for a very decent price & it didn't hurt that I found out that it uses the same panel as the $1,200+ 24" Eizo.  I know the electronics in the Eizo are most likely better, but this HP cost less than a third of the price delivered to my door.

Ordered it with free shipping Monday morning at 6:30 a.m. Merchant said it'd take 7-9 days to arrive & I was fine with that. Imagine my surprise when it was delivered the next day at 11:48 a.m.! :)

I even found that it came with a free copy of Portrait Displays, Inc.'s Pivot Pro software that sells for $39.95. I'm saving/making money already!  :D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2010, 02:20 AM »
cool. let us know what you think of the display - can't imagine it being a great deal different to the Eizo.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2010, 09:11 AM »
PS.  I just got my new dual monitor arm from Humanscale.  I'll install it tomorrow.  (this is at work).  I'm thinking about getting it at home also.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2010, 11:45 AM »
I just set up my dual monitor arms at work.  This is great stuff.  I very highly recommend monitor arms.  it frees up tons of desk space, it's super easy to move the monitors around based on what you are doing.  You can get heights, angles, tilts that are impossible with the default stands.  You can easily bring it closer or further from you.  Man, I love it! :up: :up: