topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Which is better windows mobile or android os or iphone os?  (Read 43105 times)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which is better windows mobile or android os or iphone os?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 09:56 PM »
One other thing - if you are looking into the Android and want to know about good apps out there for it, look at podcasts from AppJudgement.  They focus mostly on the iPhone/iPod Touch, but they have a significant and growing following for the Android platform as well.  It is a good site for information about the apps available.  I would be interested in seeing something for WinMobile as well, but I guess it isn't big enough for them to cover.  What I find most interesting for them about the iPhone/iPod Touch apps is they even have several segments about apps specifically for the jailbroken phones - specifically apps found on Cydia.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:59 PM by steeladept »

kcswitzer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 03:50 AM »
So any verdict yet? I'm also finally about to get my first smartphone as well.

Eventhough my service provider will subsidize part of my new hardware upgrade, it still boggles my mind why I would consider running around with a $600+ USD phone in my pocket.  I'm from Canada so our providers price gouge you epic hurt for data + voice compared to the rest of the developed world.

Would I be a cheap bum to suggest walking around with your existing mp3 player, camera, skype phone and/or mini pc with wifi to meet your mentioned requirements? iPod touch with Skype?

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 04:36 AM »
Well right now I'm personally most inclined to Iphone I decided to wait till summer until they release their iphone 4g or whatever it will be called. Mainly because I'll be able to buy an ipod touch for my girlfriend and we'll be able to pay multiplayer games (Ok I know this is a strange reason, but a big one for me). Windows mobile actually is dead to me. No literaly windows mobile 6.5 is dead even to microsoft. They officially claim it's dead. Why? Because  the windows phone 7 won't support apps written for wm 6 or 5, meaning it will not be backwards compatible.

I'm still thinking about android though. Mainly about the new htc Desire http://www.htc.com/w...desire/overview.html

My problem with the iphone is that I will have to jailbreak it to make it useful for me, and I don't know if my provider will have htc desire. (Orange pl. (I'm in Poland). (It has the iphone) (And I'll get it practically for free because I'm gonna get an expensive data plan so the iphone will cost me about 50$).
The thing that also lures  me to the iphone is the massive amount of accessories for it. Like a strap on physical keyboard. (You know to make the virtual keys "feel", so you can type without looking).

Another thing that makes me thing  is ' how will the iphone 4rd generation look like?" It will most probably have more ram anc cpu (Probably 1ghz), but what else? I think they'll include an additional camera in the front for video calling, and that will be it, it will be called the apple Ieye.
(Of course that's just speculation). Or maybe they'll include a physical keyboard, or build up the voice command so it would be even more powerful than the more powerful microsoft voice control?
Or maybe they'll ape android and get an additional button in the keyboard for dictation.

Seriously if it weren't for the fact that i think that the ipod touch is a great gift for the girl I like, who's not so technically inclined. (You know the iphone/ipod touch is a phone even grandma and grandpa can use, apple likes to be user friendly). She could read books in the park...
Thank you for reading this post.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 06:46 AM »
My problem with the iphone is that I will have to jailbreak it to make it useful for me,

But surely this is a big problem. You can do it, but you then tie yourself into a cycle of jailbreaking, getting jailed, and jailbreaking again. A constant fight between you and Apple.

Seems to me that you either commit your fortunes (literally) to Appleness, go elsewhere or have to fight a constant guerrilla battle against the Sith.

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 07:06 AM »
Jailbreaking isn't that hard I heard it takes like 10 minutes or so....

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16 AM »
Jailbreaking isn't that hard I heard it takes like 10 minutes or so....

It's not that it is that hard, but that it puts you into conflict with Apple.
It means stuff may get disabled or you can't get an update. And then you will need to jail yourself and jailbreak again when the issue is dealt with. Not that hard, but you have to stay alert and in touch with the jailbreaking community.
And not risk-free - as the ikee virus proved - attention to all detail and settings is required not just following a simple 10 minute guide.

Also see here for predictions of security risk.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:24 AM by Dormouse »

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 07:32 AM »
But I always thought I would be able to make a hard reset using itunes and then download all my apps and stuff to my iphone from  itunes, because it syncs it.
So even if a virus would brick my iphone I would be able to restore it using itunes, or am I wrong? I  mean I really like to play with software configuration so a little jailbreaking now and then wouldn't be such a problem for me.

What makes me sad is that I read somewhere that jailbreaking an iphone is considered illegal by apple. I mean why? Is modding a ps2 also illegal?

Also here's another - for the windows phone 7 - if the rumors are true it will be even more restricted thant the iphone, and because it will be less popular a "jailbreak" or an wm 7 equivelent will take longer to make.
(Just like the gamecube wasn't modded for a long long time, just because it wasn't popular enough for anyone to bother to do so)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:34 AM by Musubi »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 08:16 AM »
Is modding a ps2 also illegal?

Yes.

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Is modding a ps2 also illegal?

Yes.

Really? I knew it voids the waranty but i never thought installing a chip to run backup copies to of the original games i own is illegal. why?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Breaks copyright.

See here

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 08:40 AM »
Ah I see in the us, wikipedia doesn't say anything about poland, but since it's such a common practice on  the polish ebay and other such sites to advertise modding of consoles and jailbreaking of iphones, I guess it's legal here.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 08:56 AM »
Not just the US; the article does include the EU. Poland is in the EU so it applies. Some variations in implementation between different EU countries but the fact that it is common practice somewhere does not mean it is legal there.

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 09:01 AM »
True,true I might take that into consideration, I don't wanna break the law or anything,  but let's not digress to a copyright discussion here. Do you guys think that a jailbroken iphone is as "good" as an android device?
As i see it the iphone now has a lot more apps but that might change in the future.
Then again I'll only have the phone for 2 years, after that my contract with the provider will expire and I'll buy a new phone:)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 09:08 AM »
I don't know that I would worry about the law. I'd think the chance of any prosecution would be nil. What it does do though, is give Apple complete justification for providing you with no support.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 01:43 PM »
FWIW Microsoft is apparently planning on going down the same road as Apple by only allowing you to install apps through their online store, citing "network security concerns" as the reason why.

Supposedly, some of the other big carriers are also planning on doing the same for all smartphones on their networks - regardless of make or OS. So even if you  have an "open" phone, the carrier can decide if they want to lock it down as a condition of your being their customer.

Sad part is, if they all do it, having an open OS for a smartphone stops being a factor in any buying decision.

Like the ad says - it's not the phone, it's the network it's running on.

Bloody! >:(

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Hmmm I see, so then the iphone would be paradoxically the most 'open" system because of the most developed jailbreaking community, and it's more popular = more crackers and hackers are  will try to hack and crack it.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 03:35 PM »
then the iphone would be paradoxically the most 'open" system because of the most developed jailbreaking community, and it's more popular = more crackers and hackers are  will try to hack and crack it.

I very much doubt that. Apple control the hardware, the OS and the software and their whole philosophy is about their having total control of everything. This level of control will be new for MS & they have to carry developers with them to have a chance of getting real market share. And the carriers? - they've never shown any ability to control anything except your ability to connect. I can't see them being able to lock phones, though  you might have to access other stores through your computer rather than your phone. And their only interest is in maximising the revenue they can get - they don't really care about what you do if they get more revenue. MS and the carriers are envious of the revenue Apple get from their store, and that is what the carriers are really after. MS are wanting control because they think that is what has given Apple the usability that makes the iPhone popular.

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 03:48 PM »
So they think limiting features is what made  the iphone popular. Not the smooth OS, or the massive amount of apps? Sometimes I think MS huff's something.
And with the windows phone 7 MS actually decreassed the limited amount of apps they have, or will have, because they make it hard for amateur programs to code for wm 7.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:51 PM by Musubi »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 03:59 PM »
The massive number of apps only came later. First came the OS/hardware (very much designed as a single unit). Then they rigidly controlled the apps that got through so that the OS/hardware experience always worked the same. It is this bit that MS see (and probably correctly) but it isn't something that MS has ever really done/enforced before. But doing it massively restricts freedom. Why do you want to unlock the iPhone if you get one>

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I don't want to unlock it, I want to jailbreak it. Two different things. I want to be able to connect a bluetooth keyboard to my phone amongs other things.  And I want multitasking, and I want some other free cydia apps. (Among other things i want the home screen to look like the one in a htc device, you know so it will be more functional and there's tons of stuff that a jailbroken iphone can do that a normal can't)

True the massive number of apps came latter, but it came for a reason. I heard it's fairly easy (I might be wrong) to write an iphone app. Most apps are based on html javascript and css, and now all windows phone 7 apps will have to be based on .net and silverlight, which are harder to do for a total novice.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:11 PM by Musubi »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010, 04:11 PM »
I don't want to unlock it, I want to jailbreak it. Two different things.

Accepted: I used the wrong word; not concentrating. - but what you are wanting to do is to change the experience away from the one that Apple have designed. And Apple would argue that if they allowed people to do that, they would no longer have the smooth OS experience that makes the iPhone popular.

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010, 04:17 PM »
True, but I want choice, I want to be able to customizer my system, and the iphone os will stay smooth, because I just want to add some apps. And If I think it isn't smooth no more, I can just restore it in itunes.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010, 07:08 PM »
It reads to me that you have a personality that is more in line with the Android OS than the IPhone OS.

After all, if you have to deliberately break a phone to have the more open nature of the Android OS, you should not ask any further. You have already made up your mind, but maybe you didn't realize it.

Personally the Android OS sounds more appealing to me (but let it be noted that I am anti-Apple) and with a little bit more time you can have all the extras from the IPhone platform on Android as well.

jshare

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • JobMob
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 04:19 AM »
Too bad you're not considering a Palm Pre/Pre Plus, they can do everything you listed in your requirements list except for an Anki app- you'd need to use the AnkiOnline site, but there are other flash card apps.

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 05:30 AM »
I don't know why but no provider in poland I checked gives out the palm, maybe I'm wrong though, and anki beats all other incremental learning/ flash card programs hands down, because it automatically synchronizes between programs. It's like evernote, just for flash cards. I have more than 6000 cards on my anki, and I  want them synchronized. I used supermemo 2006 before and anki is just better.  

The fact that I'm more android inclined personality wise is true, but you have to consider that as of now the iphone is more popular, and right now it's  1 iphone gets an app 2 then android gets an app 3 then everyone else might or might not get an app.

Oh you might know. In which language/ how do you write an android app? I know you use the iphone sdk and html/css cocoa for iphone, what do you have to use for android?
Is it easy for a novice to make an app?

And about iphone being a closed system. I actually like the analogy that the iphone is like a gaming console and the android is a computer. The os in the iphone is optimized for the device, while android is made to work on many different devices. It might not seem like much but I have compared firefox and the windows optimized Pale moon firefox mod, and Pale moon is noticeably better because it's optimized for windows.  It's realistic to assume that the iphone os might be a little bit better because it is optimized for one device. Of course this is only a hypothesis on my part, I might be wrong. I'm in no  way an expert.

Oh and there's  one more thing the iphone has no other device will ever have- the number of 3rd party accesories. Because the  iphone is one device and the different models aren't all that different hardware wise the iphone has a massive amount of third party accessories like for example this 
http://www.youtube.c...&feature=related

4ithumbs - a tactile keyboard.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:53 AM by Musubi »