topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Which is better windows mobile or android os or iphone os?  (Read 43114 times)

Musubi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Bizarre
    • View Profile
    • My weird creations
    • Donate to Member
Well I'm buying a phone in the near future and I limited my choice to either the HTC Hd2 (with windows mobile 6.5) or the HTC hero. (Android os) or the iphone 3gs 16gb

Here's what I'll use the phone for (other than the standard "taking calls and writing sms-es" thing.

- Listening to mp3s - audiobooks to be precise
- Taking pictures and movies
- Writing a lot of writing using www.evernote.com
- Managing my daily tasks using www.rememberthemilk.com
- Writing emails
- reading books (pdf)
- reviewing notes with anki
http://ichi2.net/anki/403

- Read pdfs (is there a pdf reader ( I dont mean atachement reader) on the iphone?
(I mean can I upload my own  pdf files and read them on my iphone whenever I like?)
True I also like to experiment with apps (like a twitter client for example) but i've heard there's a lot of third party propriety software that the windows mobile app store hasn't even heard of.

Thank you for reading this post.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:11 PM by Musubi »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which is better windows mobile or android os?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I never used had my own Android to use, but I have seen it and played with it a little at kiosks.  I had Windows Mobile 6.0 and upgraded to 6.5, however.  From what I have seen, it is a no brainer to go with Android.  I don't know how those specific applications work out on Android or on Windows Mobile, but I do know that WM 6.5 tended to crash a LOT on me.  On my specific device, it was also so limited after the crap that Verizon loaded up that I couldn't hardly add any applications at any rate.  That is a Verizon and Samsung (phone manufacturer) issue though.  I tried half-heartedly to remove everything extraneous, but it was so embedded that I didn't want to make the time to make it work properly, especially when there were so many other issues to begin with and Verizon wouldn't help unless they reverted back to their crap.  Android, from what I have seen, is designed much closer to the iPhone and is much more accommodating to user customizations - even with any carrier enforced crapware that is installed.  So based on this, I would definitely look at the Android platform.  Maybe WM 7 would be competitive, but from my experiences 6.5 is not!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:17 AM by steeladept »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59 AM »
I'd take the complete opposite stance. Windows mobile is the most customizable OS out there for phones. I have a HD2, unfortunately it's been plagued with screen issues, that seems to be a hardware fault with mine which also affects a LARGE percentage of the HD2s sadly. Other than that it's a truely fantastic phone but it seems a lottery whether you'll get a faulty one or not.

But regards Windows Mobile, it's flawless. HTC don't install any crap and I've had maybe 5 crashes at most in over a year (I had a Touch HD prior to this HD2), and I'd sooner blamed HTC's 'Sense' interface for those few, which comes on their Android phones too.

If you do though settle on Android I'd sooner look at the Nexus One before the Hero, it's got a better hardware spec, on par with the HD2.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Musubi, perhaps it's best to wait a few months in this area. But whatever your choice, consider the exit strategy that provides the most choice for you.
- Are you allowed to choose phone carriers?
- Is the software proprietary (like Windows and Apple) or is it an open development model, such as Android?
- Can you run many of the same or similar apps on your phone that you run on your PC?
- Consider the provider, which phones they offer, and the type of service you want and can afford. (For example, will you spend more time texting than anything else, or perhaps sharing files with your company?)
- How long are you locked into a contract? How soon can you upgrade your phone without renewing your contract?

Guess it all depends on your needs, just like buying a PC.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:37 PM »
While I don't have an opinion either way (I only use the phone to make phone calls...), I am curious as to what is the draw with these things. Especially considering this which caught my attention.
I've had maybe 5 crashes at most in over a year

It's good that a phone only crashed 5 times in a year? I've never had a phone crash before in my life. Call disconnects sure... but phones that crash? What will technology enhance next? Perhaps my clock radio, toaster, & refrigerator could also be improved (made crash-able) in this fashion.

Yes, I'm being overly simplistic intentionally. But I seriously do struggle with this every time I find myself toying with getting one of these contraptions. Do I really need (/want) to be that accessible, via a device that's going to annoy me that much?

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which is better windows mobile or android os or iphone os?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:00 PM »
I mean I've had 3rd party software crashes and once or twice they required the phone be rebooted. I should point out that I constantly tweak my phone and try out newest versions of software so I tolerate the odd crash much the same as I do on a PC.

The stock setup of both the HD and HD2 were very stable.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I mean I've had 3rd party software crashes and once or twice they required the phone be rebooted. I should point out that I constantly tweak my phone and try out newest versions of software so I tolerate the odd crash much the same as I do on a PC.

The stock setup of both the HD and HD2 were very stable.

Ah! Okay... That makes sense. I'm still wrestling with the why do I need this gadget question, so I hadn't factored in the effects of fiddling with it.

I've only dealt with the WM phones at work getting them connected to the exchange server for the sales staff. While these people seem to change phones about as often  as their socks...I don't recall ever having to show somebody how to get it connected twice - So I guess they're ok usability wise.

I did go look at the Android phones awhile back, mainly because they were being heralded as iPhone killers (which I see as good). I had only one test to run on the think, and it's the same test I use for (most anything) software. Test is simple; can I operate the basic device functions without having to read 9 pages of instructions. Even better of course is to not need to open the manual at all (for basic functions).

The Androids passed. WM did too ... but I'm curious about the WM7 interfaces "improvements".

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Yes, I'm being overly simplistic intentionally. But I seriously do struggle with this every time I find myself toying with getting one of these contraptions. Do I really need (/want) to be that accessible, via a device that's going to annoy me that much?
I know what you mean but I've found mine a lot more convenient than I had expected -- plus it was a gift.
I'm not hassled by it since only two people have the number, and if one of them calls me it'll be for a reason about which I need to know.
If I'm out and about I have both the means to place a call if I wish and the list of places/people who might be useful.
I use it as an out-of-body memory transplant, which is much needed now that I no longer have a secretary.
(What was the size of the gasket I needed to buy for that water filter? Oh, here it is!)
I have twice used it to pick a piece of info from the web, both times it 'saved the day'.
As for the array of other possibilities, well, they're not for me. The basic stuff was more that enough to change my mind, and that after only a few decades!  ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:18 PM »
I'm with ya ... I just haven't managed to reach a tipping point yet. Now if one of these devices had a CLI that allowed me to (grab someones WiFi and) do ping, whois, nslookup, etc. I'd go for that.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:23 PM »
do ping
I can ping with mine. I rest my middle finger on my thumb, then flick it out sharply onto the screen -- pings like anything!
And they say I'm not technically inclined!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:42 PM »
do ping
I can ping with mine. I rest my middle finger on my thumb, then flick it out sharply onto the screen -- pings like anything!
And they say I'm not technically inclined!
-cranioscopical (February 16, 2010, 09:23 PM)
:wallbash:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:25 PM »
If you go Win Mobile now it's going to be outdated and probably not upgradeable by end of year (Win Mobile 7). MS (and partners) have a history of not allowing major OS upgrades on phones. Whereas there are fairly early Android phones that are starting to be able to run 2.0/2.1, and that will probably remain possible. The changes are also usually more significant than with WinMo for equivalent "major" version #s. Add to that the open development environment and more vibrant (considering its much younger age) app marketplace, and I think you'll probably be happier with an Android phone longer-term. Mind you I have a WinMo 6.1 phone (Motorola Q9C) which has been ok, but not great. I don't have 6.5 experience, but it doesn't seem that much better. Android seems far ahead of it in UI, app functionality, etc. But of course you have to factor in carrier requirements, contracts, etc. etc...

I wouldn't be surprised to find an Android CLI app...

- Oshyan

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:50 PM »
There are plenty of reports the the Touch HD2 will get an official upgrade to Mobile 7, and unofficial is practically a guarantee. I should say though that what I want from a smartphone is actually a full blown Pocket PC. If I just wanted a smart phone maybe I'd consider Android. But as it stands, never having used one, I can't really say how good they are or not v. Win Mobile.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36 AM »
I reckon Android phones can do just about anything a "PocketPC" (phone form factor) could do. There are actual mini-PCs that run full blown Linux or even Windows implementations that might be considered pocketable, and so might fit the moniker, but generally speaking the high end modern cell phones are the "Pocket PCs" of our times.

- Oshyan
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:35 PM by JavaJones »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 04:10 AM »
Musibi I'd recommend asking your question over at xda-developers. Since both phones you're looking at are HTC it's the perfect place to ask

gcstang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 07:12 AM »
I would definitely go with an Android Phone, I'm not sure what the Hero is running in terms of version but I know the Droid has met and exceeded my expectations.  Droid currently runs Android 2.0.1 eagerly awaiting 2.1 for full Text to Speech support on all TextField inputs.

In terms of the Droid with version 2.0.1:

Supported out of the box with built in media player but there are other players available as well - Listening to mp3s - audiobooks to be precise
Supported out of the box works nicely with AutoFocus and Flash (make sure the phone has those)- Taking pictures and movies
Available in the Market Place for Free - Writing a lot of writing using www.evernote.com
I use Astrid which is free and syncs with RTM, there is also an RTM app but they charge 25/yr - Managing my daily tasks using www.rememberthemilk.com
Supported out of the box - Writing emails
Supported out of the box and Adobe is building an app as well - reading books (pdf)
Ankidroid flashcards app that lets you learn flashcards created with Anki Free - reviewing notes with anki
http://ichi2.net/anki/403

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 01:23 PM »
I'll have to come back to this thread when I finally decide to get a new mobile phone. I can't decide yet :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 03:13 PM »
If you use a lot of Google's services, the Android OS is a no-brainer.

Gmail Contacts are synchronized as your phone contacts (so if you add someone's info on your phone, it will be available in your Gmail contacts, and vice versa).

Google Maps, Gmail, Calendar, Talk, Voice, Finance, Listen (for podcasts), Places Directory (quick and easy way to find the nearest bank, fast food, auto-shop, gas station, or whatever), Google Search, and more.

Pretty much the only major Google services I can think of that are not built into the phone are Google Reader and Google Docs.

But if you don't really care about Google apps, then... I suppose I can't offer a useful suggestion.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 04:04 PM »
But if you don't really care about Google apps, then... I suppose I can't offer a useful suggestion.

I can.

If you have choices, make the iPhone your absolute last choice.

Android wasn't available when I needed to get a new phone. And I have never been impressed with a Blackberry when it's used as a voice phone even if it is great for e-mail.

So...I made the mistake of getting talked into an iPhone based on the glowing recommendations of several friends - and a very substantial discount - when I was renewing my cellphone contract.

And I have been annoyed with the so-called "iPhone Experience" ever since.

Apple has a unique take on user interfaces. It's what they're famous for. And you either like their interface concept - or you don't. I don't.

E-mail is ok. Ditto text messaging, although I don't do much of that. Web browsing is a study in frustration (Safari), and the lack of support for Flash renders about a third of all the tech websites out there totally useless. This should pretty much be the deal breaker for everybody.

Mini-Rant follows. Feel free to ignore:
Spoiler
Apple and it's smarmy little dweeb of a CEO can say what they want about Flash. Regardless of Adobe's technical merits or failings - Flash is what gets USED on the web. It is the current defacto standard for day to day web video. And any browser worthy of the name that doesn't support Flash is seriously BROKEN! No matter what Apple's spin doctors and their fanboys want to say.

So if Apple wants to persist in forcing iPhone users to live with their broken (or "suboptimal" in Apple parlance) browser, that's fine. But I'd very much appreciate it if they'd stop talking down to everybody that sees through their contrived and obvious ploy to not support allow Flash.

That being said, the voice call quality is very good, and it's put together well.

So in closing, I'd just like to say: Don't buy it.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:09 PM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 04:25 PM »
...and the lack of support for Flash renders about a third of all the tech websites out there totally useless. This should pretty much be the deal breaker for everybody.

As far as I know, no smartphones support Flash. My Android G1 doesn't.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 05:01 PM »
True. It's not in public release yet. But AFAIK it's only Apple that has flat out refused to support it now - or ever.

Deployment for everybody else is planned for later this year last I heard.  :)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:07 PM by 40hz »

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Well I still say windows phone, especially if you're choice is HD2 or Hero. I'd only consider Android on the Nexus one, the Hero has nowhere near the technical specs of the HD2.

Also windows phones do support flash lite link. Not full flash but then it isn't out yet as 40hz said.

wiiiindy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 08:18 PM »
I am close to getting a smart phone and from what I've read the Pre tops all three being discussed here.  I assume no one is including it in the comparison because no one believes Palm will be around in the long run.   But even if they go out of business in the next 2-3 years, the phone will still work!  And if you are a geek you are going to want a new one in a couple of years anyway.

Anyone have experience with Pre and want to enlighten us on the merits of its UI or openness or?
You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 09:01 PM »
flash smash ;D Anyone got anything to say about Nexus One?
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:03 PM by mitzevo »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 09:51 PM »
I am close to getting a smart phone and from what I've read the Pre tops all three being discussed here.  I assume no one is including it in the comparison because no one believes Palm will be around in the long run.   But even if they go out of business in the next 2-3 years, the phone will still work!  And if you are a geek you are going to want a new one in a couple of years anyway.

Anyone have experience with Pre and want to enlighten us on the merits of its UI or openness or?
Nope.  No experience.   That is why I didn't comment on it.  Well, that and the fact the the OP was asking about Windows Mobile vs. Android.