topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Requests / Suggestions thread  (Read 67250 times)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Requests / Suggestions thread
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Ok.. So I have found a number of solutions that simulate the Superbar in both 32 and 64 bit....
I even found a solution that is specific for Vista  :o

Still looking for an Open Source solution.
 :o I would hate to have to see something like this coded from scratch  :P

So I would venture to say that the request is plausible, but still exploring viability

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2010, 12:09 AM »
After doing a quick search i found 2 articals about opensource superbars

there is an superbar for unbuntu that's open source
http://ospalace.blog...u-and-few-other.html

and another that looks like asuperbar for vista
http://www.megaleech...et/Windows_7_Taskbar

Did this help at all, because seeing these features in circle dock would blow my mind  :tellme:

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 02:38 AM »
Seems nobody bothers to read the help pages... where there's an entire topic devoted to this. ::)

Further to that, I am not going to include a feature that is specific to an operating system such as Vista or Windows 7. As most of the downloads are onto XP PCs any new feature must work on that platform.

So no "superbars" and no "AeroPeek". Sorry :)

Mark
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:46 AM by Markham »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Agreed....

This is why I was considering tracking down a replication software, not something that is OS dependent.

Either way: a solution for "Minimize to dock" should be considered carefully, as it is a common feature to most docks.

Thoughts???

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 11:55 AM »
The very fact that Circle Dock is a free-floating dock that can appear anywhere on the screen is one reason why it can not act as a Taskbar - ie: you can't minimise application windows to it. Not my rules, Microsoft's.

I cover this in the Help but I'll do so again here. Rocket Dock and Object Dock can both host minimised applications but Circle Dock can't. Why? Both RD and OD are fixed to a screen edge - it doesn't matter which edge provided it doesn't interfere with an existing "minimise target dock" which includes the Taskbar. Circle Dock is not fixed to a screen edge so does not qualify as a Taskbar replacement. The fact that the dock is rotatable is another reason Windows won't accept it.

Also, consider what would happen if the dock also contained Dock Folders and you navigated to a lower level. You'd lose the Dock Items representing the minimised apps so a decision would have to be made as to what to do with them - restore their windows or close the minimised apps? You can't magically tell the Taskbar to accept that item.

Sorry folks, it can't be done.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:16 PM by Markham »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2010, 01:30 PM »
This breaks the heart  :(

Oh well, on to the next impossible task  8)

OLEGxUSSR

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 04:29 AM »
8)
Suggestion4.jpg  
[Process Explorer does not require administrative privileges to run and works on Windows 9x/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 and on the x64 version of 64-bit Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:48 AM by OLEGxUSSR »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 06:05 AM »
I see the concept, but unfortunately this is related to the original request in many ways.

Circle Dock would have to know what processes are running. Without that information there is no way I see that Circle Dock can bring a process to the front, if Circle Dock does not know the program is running.

Therefore, I do not see how this can be done, but it is an excellent concept.

Unless we can tell Circle Dock to show running processes, restrictively, and have an option to bring to front... Again the concept is excellent for people like me that have multiple programs running on a single small screen, to activate Circle Dock, and click a process so that window will come forward is a good idea.

I would have to have Markham comment here to even understand the feasibility

On an additional note:
Process Explorer is Made by Microsoft staff, so I can imagine that it will work as they desire.
I use it myself  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:10 AM by sgtevmckay »

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Just had a thought when I was booting CD from my flash drive... when you unplug the drive the instance of cd still remains up. Could there be a "close dock" option in the special section of add new item? though this maybe a lazy way to close the dock as you could just right click and close it, but it seems i am rambleing so anyway tell me what you think...  :Thmbsup:

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2010, 06:24 AM »
Sounds simple enough to add to the Special section

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2010, 09:50 AM »
You want another way to close Circle Dock??!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:26 AM by Markham »

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2010, 01:27 PM »
it might sound silly but I use this program when I'm at college it really helps organize my files. the close option on the dock will make it faster to close than using the context menu for there is no auto close when you remove the flash drive. it will remain up running off of the system. I was thinking about it one day that it wound be faster to have some sort of auto close feature if the flash drive containing the directory is removed but that sounds too Cody ya know, so then it sounded better to have a close icon on the dock. I hope this made the situation sound better  :-[
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:33 PM by Archon of Fate »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2010, 04:11 AM »
I'm afraid you'll have to "make do" with right-click, left-click on the centre button or background. Dock Items require a "target" to execute, either directly or by using the Windows Shell. They can not execute internal commands.

It's not a good idea to remove a flash drive without stopping it correctly using the "Safely Eject Hardware" operating system utility. The operating system caches write operations and there could be unwritten data, destined for file(s) on that flash drive, when you remove the SD card/USB stick. That data will be lost. You can't run this utility if any program run from a removable drive is still an active process or there is an active Explorer pane open for that drive -- well you can try to run it, but it won't succeed.

And before you ask, no, I won't be including any "safely eject hardware" functionality, for several reasons including:
  • The code required is quite substantial and is not portable between 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.
  • Program shutdown time would be much slower due to the amount of checks that need to be made and that would affect all users equally, not just those using Circle Dock in a portable environment.
  • There's a big risk of data loss - a risk I'm simply not about to take.
  • For Portable Applications, there already is this functionality within the PortableApp menuing system (I make no comment as to its effectiveness or safety).

Mark
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 04:27 AM by Markham »

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2010, 12:42 PM »
ah, oh well. thanks for hearing me out  :-[

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2010, 03:17 PM »
ah, oh well. thanks for hearing me out  :-[
-Archon of Fate (March 14, 2010, 12:42 PM)

Cheer up friend, a lot of your suggestions, ideas, and concepts have been great.....do not let one idea shot down stop you  :-*

Archon of Fate

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2010, 07:13 PM »
thanks Sarge  :-[

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2010, 03:04 AM »
Hi,
   can you add some controls or labels to know where the user is folder tree? Or adding previous folder's icon araund actula center icon to rappresent folder's ancestors? Or right-click menu to rappresent folder tree? or right click icon tree to pass between n-level folde to k-level folder?
It's possible to have "keep in memory" option to speed up transition between folders where there are many icon?
Thanks
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2010, 11:59 AM »
With the exception of your final request, which will not be implemented for resource reasons, we will bear your suggestions in mind however we are rather busy with the design of the Docklet API.

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2010, 03:26 PM »
It's possible to have "keep in memory" option to speed up transition between folders where there are many icon?
Thanks

Beyond resources, and this could be an option in the settings, we have noticed that this creates for an additional issue in Vista and Seven.
Sometimes what is saved in memory is not displaced when you close teh program.
So anything in memory , stays in memory after the program is closed....we have seen instances of this in Standalone Stacks 2, but we have also seen issue in Rainmeter Alpha builds, so we have dropped this option.

Again, this could be made an option, selective for those folks who have a tone of memory
But I leave that to programmers discretion

There is a couple of ways to speed Icon load:
1.) Place Icons in the core folder
2.) reduce Icon size.
I find that many icons are 150 to 250 px in size, if this is reduced to say 100 or 90 px, then Circle Dock does not have to work as hard to re-size and load the icon images.
Additionally: If the Icons are in the core directory, then Circle Dock does not have to search in adjacent folders in your system, and will load icons faster as a consequence.  :Thmbsup:

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2010, 04:11 PM »
In one of my project I have thousand of object with image dynamicaly builded by AI and to speed up the system when I restart the program I save the object on file with an ObjectStream like a memory dump so when the program load the object there are all the resource, image resized, status ecc and I have a speed up of 1000%. It's possible to store item in a core folder with c#? Instead of config file there can be a main folder with the main object stored and a real folder tree for the CD folder so I can save and export items in other CD moving/copying only the file. It's possible?
Thanks.
p.s. Happy St. Patrick's Day
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2010, 02:07 AM »
In one of my project I have thousand of object with image dynamicaly builded by AI and to speed up the system when I restart the program I save the object on file with an ObjectStream like a memory dump so when the program load the object there are all the resource, image resized, status ecc and I have a speed up of 1000%. It's possible to store item in a core folder with c#?
It is possible, yes, but it would serve no useful purpose as Circle Dock is not a homogeneous application but rather a collection of separate windows. Such a schema is likely to slow-down Circle Dock.

Instead of config file there can be a main folder with the main object stored and a real folder tree for the CD folder so I can save and export items in other CD moving/copying only the file. It's possible?
I have no plan to change the way Circle Dock stores its data which is very efficient due to the internal layout of the configuration files. However, if I were to make such changes, it would almost certainly involve the use of an object-oriented database engine.

Whilst I welcome all suggestions, please understand that I will only consider those suggestions that enhance the product for the benefit of all users!

For your guidance, I haven't yet decided how on the level of access to internal structures and routines I will permit Docklets to have. It is more than likely that there will be none at all, for data integrity and stability reasons. Docklets will certainly not have the ability to modify any general or item-specific settings. In my view the purpose of a Docklet is to provide a service that is outside the program's remit - such as a battery meter - and in that respect will be more akin to the Gadgets available for Google Desktop and Windows' Sidebar.

Mark

Auskalo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2010, 11:57 AM »
With 0.98 I used to have several instances of CD and even nested arrangements. How can I have them with 1.x.x? Could this be implemented? thanks

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2010, 02:13 PM »
You can have multiple instances but each instance must be executed from its own folder: you therefore have to duplicate the entire Circle Dock folder tree for each instance you wish to have. This is for data security and to comply with the increased security introduced with Vista and beefed-up with Windows 7.

This is all explained in the help system.

Mark

cyysky

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2010, 12:09 PM »
do someone seen before the game's logo chosen circle in BLACK and WHITE 1 by Lionhead Studios? The smooth grow effect from center of the circle is unforgettable.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2010, 02:44 PM »
do someone seen before the game's logo chosen circle in BLACK and WHITE 1 by Lionhead Studios? The smooth grow effect from center of the circle is unforgettable.

Greetings cyysky
Welcome to Donationcoder.com and Circle Docks little part of it all  8)

I actually am not sure.....Is it possible that you could track down a youtube or other video recording that we can view???
It sounds incredible interesting  :tellme: