topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?  (Read 106962 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2009, 12:02 AM »
Hahaha... ;D ;D
I love this guy, the author of Light Alloy.
So I'm browsing his all-Russian website using Google translator.  The front page says that the program is free for Russian speaking customers and there's a link:
Screenshot_20091211215949.png

which takes you to the license page.  Here, he gives the instructions on how to input the free license:
Screenshot_20091211215737.png

That's hilarious.  I'm trying to figure out what "Then have a little break his head over a mystery" means!  Maybe this is his way of truly filtering out russian speaking customers.  He beat google at their own game.  Brilliant!
[edit] I get it!  It's a riddle.  Cool.  Anyone?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:43 AM by superboyac »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2009, 12:12 AM »
VLC Player was OK - I mainly used it for certain file types that didn't seem to want to play on anything else. Then with the versions right before 1.0 it got a lot better at just about everything on my PC. But Version 1.0 iddnt work very well at all for me and I was about to abandon it altogether. But the next two versions were about perfect IMO. UI is pretty bland, I agree, but it just seems to kick ass on files that I cannot get to play elsewhere. WMP11 is fine except for that doggone DRM. I had a number of downloaded tracks from Rhapsody that were perfectly legal; while the tracks were subscription-related I still had an active subscription to Rhapsody (heavily discounted on a deal with Comcast) and therefore the tracks should have been legal for me to play. But the latest version of Rhapsody Player at the time was real buggy and so I had not yet tried reinstalling it on a freshly reinstalled XP Pro. WMP11 would not play any of the tracks, saying that I must hafve Rhapsody Player installed before playing them. Other players played them anyway, so I gave up on WMP. I don't need that kind of policing.

VLC, since their 1.0 release, can now rip/burn DVD movies, believe it or not. My only big gripe is that if I'm watching a small video - wmv or avi - and don't want to open it up full screen, it keeps reverting back to the default size even though I set it to 2x. Every time a scene would change it would jump right back to small. So now I have to use the hotkey - Ctrl+4 - to make the size 2x and stay that way throughout the video. Plus, VLC has very decent frame-by-frame features, jump ahead or back short, medium, or long times. It just does a lot that other free viewers do not. At least that I have found.

Thanks!

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2009, 12:14 AM »
By the way, I did a few experiments with MPC-HC and Light Alloy:
Light Alloy is still quicker to open a file.  Not that MPC is slow, but LA is quicker.  Just FYI.  I tried it with all kinds of files.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2009, 04:31 AM »
Hahaha... ;D ;D
I love this guy, the author of Light Alloy.
 I get it!  It's a riddle.  Cool.  Anyone?

- no, I don't have it, (I couldn't even find a way to purchase it from the Russian spoken pages), but I am eager to learn! The Russian SLO.RU states Light Alloy to be freeware, so the answer to the riddle may not be too difficult, for Russians... (unless the SLO version is a special SLO-Russian version).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:51 AM by Curt »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2009, 06:08 PM »
The Russian SLO.RU states Light Alloy to be freeware, so the answer to the riddle may not be too difficult, for Russians... (unless the SLO version is a special SLO-Russian version).

Actually it says on the Softella website: Free for the Russian speaking population.

So, technically, if you can speak Russian you can use it for free.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 12:31 AM »
The Russian SLO.RU states Light Alloy to be freeware, so the answer to the riddle may not be too difficult, for Russians... (unless the SLO version is a special SLO-Russian version).

Actually it says on the Softella website: Free for the Russian speaking population.

So, technically, if you can speak Russian you can use it for free.
Yeah, but it seems like you have to be able to solve the riddle to find out what to enter in the registration fields.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 12:37 AM »
Geez, another interesting thing about Light Alloy from the website in the contact section:
For discussion of all issues there is a forum in which even works search.

However, if you have an irresistible urge to send a message to the author the player, here you can do it.

Be aware that the likelihood that you will receive a response almost zero, but perhaps, your message will be read.

He's certainly one of the more peculiar authors that I've come across.  But he makes a fantastic product.

Other peculiar authors with great software I've come across (just FYI):
The Bat
Xfilesdialog
Calendarscope

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 01:28 AM »
Yeah, but it seems like you have to be able to solve the riddle to find out what to enter in the registration fields.

Sorry, missed that bit.

Using Google Translate, I get: "Then have a little break a head, I hope all will end well."

Which makes a little more sense if, for example, the program phones home to check the validity of your claim to be Russian speaking.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 01:45 AM »
No, the program doesn't phone home.  If you enter the correct key, it will register (it's internally programmed).  It's a riddle.  I also found another forum yesterday (i'll post the link if I find it again); in the forum (which was also in russian), a bunch of russian people were trying to figure out what the answer to the riddle was.  No one in the thread seemed to have found it.  So, I'm not sure how the free registration actually works.  I think the author is just having fun.

[edit]
http://programki.net...l.php?pr=20&pg=3
There's the forum.  If you translate it, you can read how they're trying to figure out the riddle.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:47 AM by superboyac »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 02:05 AM »
OK, I'm getting closer...
If you leave the program (Light Alloy) in Russian, and then go into the license registration screen, you will see that there is something prewritten in the "Registration Name" field:
Screenshot_20091212235959.png

So that must be a prompt or something.  Maybe it's a question, and the answer is the key, and if you put it in, the registration is complete.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2009, 02:21 AM »
OK, I've almost figured it out.
The author has programmed a bunch of riddles into the program's registration dialog.  So if you leave it in Russian mode, there will always be a different riddle in the "registration name" field.  If you know the answer, put it in the bottom field and you will succeed with registration.  I'm trying to figure it out using some online translators, but i can't seem to figure out any of the riddles.  The closest I've come is the current one I'm trying:

What has five closets and one door?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2009, 02:26 AM »
Another one:

The more from it you take, the more it becomes.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2009, 02:30 AM »
Shoot, I thought I almost had one!

Question: Fish in the sea - a tail on a fence. (roughly translated)
Answer:  Beaver

But it didn't work.  I though the answer was beaver because it swims and build a dam, but it didn't work.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2009, 09:40 AM »
if your time is worth anything it would long ago have been cheaper to simply purchase that $20 license, wouldn't it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2009, 11:09 AM »
if your time is worth anything it would long ago have been cheaper to simply purchase that $20 license, wouldn't it.
Curt, I've already bought a license years ago.  I'm just having a little fun.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2009, 11:16 AM »

Sometimes it's not about the money, but rather the challenge.

For the curious, another developer that does the "free for Russian speaking users" thing is Westbyte. For the non-Russian speaking populace they have a download manager called Internet Download Accelerator which is shareware. However, if you speak Russian they have a download manager available called Download Master which is the exact same program, but has a hard-coded Russian interface. Download Master is freeware.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2009, 01:52 PM »
The more from it you take, the more it becomes

A hole?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2009, 03:41 PM »
or taxes?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2009, 07:12 PM »
or taxes?

Taxes take from you - it doesn't fit the first part: "The more from it you take...."

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2009, 10:26 PM »
Then let me fill your mind with the following thought:

Societies that have a lot of taxes in general, also have a lot of rules and regulations for people to take their (fair) share out of the collected taxes. To keep all that administration and what not going...more taxes are required.  :(

Hence my previous post.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2009, 03:09 AM »
The more from it you take, the more it becomes - life

kakarukeys

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Save time play more
    • View Profile
    • Time-saving Guides, Windows and Office Tips to increase your productivity
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2009, 05:12 AM »
For video player, I'm not looking into the fastest and lightest, but features that can save you from worst nightmare. E.g. some video player allows you to adjust the playing speed and subtitle/sound synchronization.
life is short, play hard

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2009, 06:12 AM »
MPC-HC will let you set a variable audio delay, Options->Audio Switcher->Audio time shift (ms).  You can also advance/delay the subtitles in steps of 500ms, (F1/F2), won't affect hardcoded subs naturally.

Variable rate playback is limited to specific steps: 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0, (Cntrl-Up/Down).

Since this is only likely to occur on AVI files wouldn't it be better to remux, (AVI-Mux GUI), the file so that audio/video will always be in sync?

With subtitles, just load the subtitle file into ReSync, (part of VobSub), or Subtitle Edit set an appropriate delay and save the output with the new offsets.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2009, 05:47 PM »
KMPlayer can do all the fancy offset stuff, fairly customizable, both for audio/video and subs. I think you can even save offsets associated with a particular file name for future use...

- Oshyan

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2009, 07:23 PM »
KMPlayer can do all the fancy offset stuff, fairly customizable, both for audio/video and subs. I think you can even save offsets associated with a particular file name for future use...

- Oshyan
There's pretty much nothing that KMPlayer can't do.  But Light Alloy is significantly faster in starting up (double-click launch).