topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: No network adapters detected!?  (Read 80231 times)

ixxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No network adapters detected!?
« on: December 06, 2009, 09:16 PM »
So.. my motherboard has a pair of Marvell Yukon 88E8056 adapters on it and Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, URLSnooper fails to detect any of the adapters..

its a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, X58, Socket-1366 motherboard with a CoreI7 920 cpu and 12GB of ram..

any ideas?  I tried URL Hunter in trial/demo mode and it at least did catch urls so it seems like WinPCap isnt the issue..

and all this because im after the MMS to http://wmlive.bbc.co...wms/england/lrlondon =)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: No network adapters detected!?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:46 PM »
this is so bizzarre that url snooper isn't finding adapters but you are saying other winpcap sniffers are.. i'm just at a loss as to why that might be.. anyone have any clues?

ixxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:16 PM »
me too.. I dont get it either.. I tried URL Hunter specifically because .. apart from its ugly ass looks.. it seems to be quite similar AND relies on WinPCap as well..

in URLSnooper the adapter selection box just has a red frame around it.. buhuuing that theres no adapters.. I tried both of the connectors on the PC but doesnt seem to make a difference.. tried one disabled one enabled.. etc..

Also the WinpCap doesnt show up as a protocol loaded in the Local Area Connection Properties for Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller .. but I'm guessing thats a Windows 7 thing that it doesnt show up there?

Maybe its not getting properly installed and URL Hunter is _faking it_ ? I noticed I was unable to find the MMS protocol in the URL Hunter window but I thought that could be cos it was in trial/demo mode?

Anything else I should try perhaps?

ixxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:19 PM »
.. well I just installed and tested Wireshark.. it says WinPCap IS installed.. and also works so.. it has to be a URL Snooper issue.. whatever it may be...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:28 PM »
Ok i'm going to have another look.. i wish i could reproduce the problem.. i wonder if it could have something to do with running as administrator.. if you run the other program as administrator, do they still see the network adapters?

ixxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:46 PM »
both url hunter and wireshark works when run as administrator..just tested..

during the OMG IT DOESNT WORK/DESPERATION TESTING OF ANYTHING-mode I was having yesterday I even tried running the installers for both urlsnooper and winpcap separately as admin and that made no difference either..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 04:51 PM »
i appreciate all the help testing this -- there is no reason url snooper shouldnt work -- it may simply be a case of me needing to update the network adapter detection code i use to account for some winpcap change.. i'll try to get it done this week.  if you don't mind i'll email you and maybe you can help me test some test versions in the next day or two?

ixxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:55 PM »
sure, email away! :)

RENI

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 01:12 AM »
Got the same problem on my XP SP3.My onboard network adapter is Marvell 88E8039.
Here's a snapshot http://img410.images.../img410/830/urls.png.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:14 AM by RENI »

ixxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 12:32 PM »
mm RENI, what is that adapter for dialup thing?.. I dont even get that.. mine is totally blank

jamessnooper

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Reni, when you test the adapter in the pic, does it come up as a Success or a Failure to Detect? On my other PC (the one that works and shows 3 adapters), a generic dial-up adapter is one of the working adapters (from memory of using it a couple days ago.)

I wonder if there's a way of sourcing every available adapter on our PC and linking them up with URL Snooper. That would give us alot more adapters to test.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 09:02 PM »
All adapters should be detected automatically; im going to work on this on sunday and see if i can spot anything strange with my winpcap interface.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Ok so can i ask anyone who is having trouble with urlsnooper not reporting all or any adapters to download windump from the winpcap site:
http://www.winpcap.o...mp_3_9_5/WinDump.exe

Then open up a commandline prompt where the windump.exe executable is, and run: windump -D
(note that the D must be capitalized)

And let me know if windump reports a different list of adapters than url snooper does.

ixxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 08:23 PM »
sent you a PM with the results.. obviously as it DID discover them and URL Snooper didnt.. the results _are_ different ..

hope it helps you figure this out..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 08:30 PM »
ok that's a good sign.. getting closer then.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 09:43 PM »
ixxo says the new version fixes the problem, so let's see if everyone else agrees. try downloading version 2.26.01 from the web page (or using updater).

RENI

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 08:04 AM »
mm RENI, what is that adapter for dialup thing?.. I dont even get that.. mine is totally blank
Well,I don't know what the hell is that either. :P
Reni, when you test the adapter in the pic, does it come up as a Success or a Failure to Detect? On my other PC (the one that works and shows 3 adapters), a generic dial-up adapter is one of the working adapters (from memory of using it a couple days ago.)

I wonder if there's a way of sourcing every available adapter on our PC and linking them up with URL Snooper. That would give us alot more adapters to test.
Unfortunately,It's a Failure. :'(
Ok so can i ask anyone who is having trouble with urlsnooper not reporting all or any adapters to download windump from the winpcap site:
http://www.winpcap.o...mp_3_9_5/WinDump.exe

Then open up a commandline prompt where the windump.exe executable is, and run: windump -D
(note that the D must be capitalized)

And let me know if windump reports a different list of adapters than url snooper does.

Here's my result:
C:\***>windump -D
1.\Device\NPF_GenericDialupAdapter (Adapter for generic dialup and VPN capture)

C:\***>

RENI

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11 AM »
ixxo says the new version fixes the problem, so let's see if everyone else agrees. try downloading version 2.26.01 from the web page (or using updater).
Still not working... :o
http://i46.tinypic.com/kalhte.jpg

ixxo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:42 AM »
well automatic detection/selection still fails for me but.. now at least the adapters shows up in the list so I can choose myself and THEN it works

maybe your adapter RENI is one that the WinpCap library doesnt support? I know theres a few it doesnt, but I dont know wich ones..

what about trying some other apps and see if they work?.. If for example wireshark works then its a urlsnooper specific problem.. if it too fails or only shows the same VPN thing then you may have to look at WinpCap itself..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 12:29 PM »
As ixxo says, forget about automatic network adapter detection -- as it says on its window when it cant find an adapter, there are many reasons why this may fail and it's not important. the issue is really whether your network adapter is available in the options.

And the key to see if this is a url snooper program or a winpcap problem is to run that windump test.

RENI, you pasted your results from windump, which says that winpcap/windump can only see one generic dialup adapter -- and that seems to be what urlsnooper on your computer can see.. so there's really nothing more urlsnooper can do i'm afraid, as it is doing all that winpcap can do.

Assuming that this adapter is not the one you actually use, then the situation is as ixxo says, and it may be that you are using an adapter that winpcap is not able to work with.  Best thing in such case is to go to the winpcap support page and see if you can find any solution.

wgf4242

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 06:59 PM »
failed to find a suitable net driver , I selected the adapter mannually.
G:\TDDOWNLOAD\1>windump -d
windump: listening on \Device\NPF_{07A20FC8-6C36-4EEE-8172-EB7BF3EE9F9B}
(000) ret      #96
Failed to initialize network adapter WinPcap Network adapter 'Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller.' on local host.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:10 PM by wgf4242 »

m123

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 11:25 PM »
How adjust detection of adapter menually

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 11:37 PM »
Choose from the File Menu -> "Advanced Mode"
then select your adapter on the "General Options" tab.

RENI

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24 PM »
As ixxo says, forget about automatic network adapter detection -- as it says on its window when it cant find an adapter, there are many reasons why this may fail and it's not important. the issue is really whether your network adapter is available in the options.

And the key to see if this is a url snooper program or a winpcap problem is to run that windump test.

RENI, you pasted your results from windump, which says that winpcap/windump can only see one generic dialup adapter -- and that seems to be what urlsnooper on your computer can see.. so there's really nothing more urlsnooper can do i'm afraid, as it is doing all that winpcap can do.

Assuming that this adapter is not the one you actually use, then the situation is as ixxo says, and it may be that you are using an adapter that winpcap is not able to work with.  Best thing in such case is to go to the winpcap support page and see if you can find any solution.

OK,yesterday I switched to Windows 7 x86 with 11.10.5.3 marvell driver installed.Suddenly the Marvell 88E8039 appears in the adapter list and snooper is working smoothly. :P

eliramd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 11:26 PM »
hi, i'm using win7 and havig the same problem.
i installed the latest ver 2.26.01.
on wireshark there are the same adapters, and the sniffing works just fine, but the ursnooper doesn't work, even on manual mode when i select the same adapter.
any ideas?