topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Hidden Netflix Marathon Gems to Watch Online  (Read 71122 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hidden Netflix Marathon Gems to Watch Online
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 11:48 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has figured out how to adjust brightness watching Netflix using Silverlight?  It will play in both chrome and firefox, but if it's too dark to watch I can't find any control to adjust brightness/contrast.  Some of the videos look like the cameraman left the cap on!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04 AM »
What system are you playing it on and what is the graphics card used? What is your normal media player and do you have the same problem there? (presumably not) If you did at some point have a similar problem in other media players, how did you correct it? It's possible Silverlight is using "overlay" mode or some other specialized video streaming display system, which may be controllable by advanced settings in a graphics card driver.

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Intelligence (2006), a canadian cop+criminal tv series like "The Wire":

Screenshot - 4_18_2011 , 9_40_24 PM_thumb.png

http://movies.netfli...ntelligence/70153374

2 seasons, about 20 hours in total.

A Canadian version of The Wire using people you'd recognize from da Vinci's Inquest and Battlestar Galactica. Intelligence is an engrossing crime drama told from the point of view of both the ambitious feds (they call them "Horsemen" for the Mounted Police in the White North) and the successful but challenged organized criminals. Like the Wire, Intelligence is talky in a rapid fire way that requires you to play close attention to each scene. Miss a couple of short scenes while you go for snacks and you'll be lost. Also like The Wire, it respects its audience to feed them realistic characters and situations. You get to follow along closely with the double dealing office politics of the feds, the shrewd confidence games of the crims, and the arrogant incompetents in both camps who keep everybody off balance and in danger. Meanwhile, everybody's got issues with their ex-wives or ex-husbands. This is one of those shows that pulls you in so deeply into the lives of the characters that the time just flies.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 04:03 AM »
Doctor Who! (The new stuff.)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Don't rule out other sites for marathons...especially free ones.

I had a mini-marathon last night of old episodes of The George Carlin Show, on the WB site.

http://www.thewb.com/shows/full-episodes

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24 PM »
What system are you playing it on and what is the graphics card used? What is your normal media player and do you have the same problem there? (presumably not) If you did at some point have a similar problem in other media players, how did you correct it? It's possible Silverlight is using "overlay" mode or some other specialized video streaming display system, which may be controllable by advanced settings in a graphics card driver.

- Oshyan

Sorry, I missed replying to your post in a timely fashion.
It's my understanding that all this stuff is not software adjustable in Sliver Light. On other boards people's solutions amount to "adjust the settings on your monitor." Not really acceptable afaic.

It's probably the #1 Silver Light complaint.  No brightness/contrast controls.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 06:57 PM »
I'm up to episode 10 and am really loving the Intelligence series.  They really take their time with dialog and details, it's such a nice change from normal.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:21 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Death Note just hit netflix, as awesome japanese animation series:
http://movies.netfli.../Death_Note/70081003

deathnote.jpg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 05:14 AM »
App103 told me about this -- Netflix just added the complete* set of Star Trek tv series, and looks like they are all watchable online to netflix members.  This is a HUGE collection.

* Deep space 9 is not streamable online  :down:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 08:54 PM »
"How It's Made" series just added to Netflix:

http://movies.netfli...211495?trkid=2361637

Have you ever wondered how things are made? From adhesive bandages to contact lenses, find out how many of the objects we use become the things they are. Watch as "How It's Made" reveals the methods and materials of everyday items.

70211495.jpg

122 episodes from 7 seasons (2001-2009)

via http://www.geek.com/...-streaming-20110926/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 09:55 PM »
The Netflix schism is due soon:

http://blog.netflix....amp;lkid=netflixBlog

The "watch in web browser" didn't work for me most of the time anyway. I think they gave me a couple of bucks off a month to just have DVD rental.

They're going to name it Qwickster.  Catchy eh?

If you want both DVD rental via discs and set top box input then look for 2 separate monthly charges.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58 PM »
I already canceled my dvd rental plan with netflix and am now 100% streaming -- it's what i used most of the time anyway; I love netflix streaming.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Breaking Bad Series:

Screenshot - 8_1_2012 , 7_28_18 PM.png

Breaking Bad was created by Vince Gilligan, who spent several years writing the Fox series The X-Files. Gilligan wanted to create a series in which the protagonist became the antagonist. "Television is historically good at keeping its characters in a self-imposed stasis so that shows can go on for years or even decades," he said. "When I realized this, the logical next step was to think, how can I do a show in which the fundamental drive is toward change?"

Quite a good show.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Don't rule out other sites for marathons...especially free ones.

I had a mini-marathon last night of old episodes of The George Carlin Show, on the WB site.

http://www.thewb.com/shows/full-episodes

I'll second this. I learned about Wire in the Blood from the Hulu side, and it impressed me. It was on time delay so I could only see a couple seasons a month, but I REALLY like the longer 1.5 hour format for dramas. Almost everything in the US is at the 42 minute mark, and it eventually the pacing gets under my skin once in a while when I sorta know "something X has to happen" even if I don't know exactly what, the pacing rules the show. In that longer format, the character get to ponder and deal with the problem longer.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19 PM »
I'm in total agreement with TaoPhoenix. The series I follow lately are about 55 minutes in length, but only have 12 to 14 episodes per season for (Dexter and Breaking Bad). Game of Thrones only has ten episodes per season!

What these series lack in amount of episodes, they make up for with "density", so to say.

I really look forward to new episodes, which has not happened in a very long while. In fact I hardly watch any commercial or public TV anymore as most programs do not ignite any interest in me.
When I was still living in the Netherlands I was only watching Discovery Channel (from the 40 channels available through the normal broadcasting system, never got into pay channels and/or satellite).

Breaking Bad I completely recommend, it grows on you, each season becoming better than the previous one. The season 4 final made a big impression on me.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 05:59 PM »
That's what I liked about many of the Asian TV series. There are long running series like the Japanese show Kinpachi Sensei, but a lot of them are mini-series.  The most common range, just from my anecdotal experience, seems to be 8 - 16 episodes.  If it's a big hit they may do a Season II or even III but usually the concept is beaten to death by then. It's more refreshing if they do 8 or 9 shows then move on to another concept.

As one example, a show about the lust for Olympic Gold, 11 episodes:

Gold

Trouble is many of the free online streaming sites get 4 or 5 episodes in, and it peters out. Maybe due to lack of English subtitles.  Many of the subbers raise hell if their subs end up on streaming sites. In this case Gold on MySoju seems to be stuck on Episode 5.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2012, 09:38 PM »
I'm partial to the modern British TV Sherlock Holmes series simply called Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson. If you're a Holmes fan, or a Baker Street Irregular, you'll especially appreciate the way the writers have taken classics from "The Canon" and given them a very workmanlike update and modern twist. Una Stubbs plays a marvelous Mrs.Hudson ("Not your housekeeper, dear.") as does Andrew Scott as Jim Moriarty, an utterly twisted and psychotic modern interpretation of Holmes' arch-nemesis Professor Moriarty.

holmes.jpg

Favorite episode: A Scandal in Belgravia featuring actress Lara Pulver as a stunning and brilliantly understated Irene Adler (aka: "The Woman"), updated from an opera star and 'adventuress' in the original Doyle story (A Scandal in Bohemia) to a professional dominatrix in this modern telling.

adler1.jpg

There's a great moment when she informs Sherlock Holmes: "I would have you right here - on this table - until you begged for mercy twice." When the normally unflappable Holes replies that he never begs, she merely arches her eyebrows and says, "Twice."

Adler2.jpg

Watch it. It's a great series and now available for streaming on Netflix. :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2012, 10:56 PM »
^^I was introduced to this Sherlock Holmes show a few months ago.  I also really enjoyed it, so I concur and recommend it as well.  They made it really fun for a lot of different types of audiences.  I'm a huge Holmes fan, been reading the books since I was a kid.  The new movies are pretty good also.

I will have one point of criticism for this new modernized version of Holmes: they are both missing something.  i don't know what it is, but there's a quality to the books that doesn't seem to translate well to our hip societies.  I think what the rehashes have done well is take the subtleties of the stories that normally get ignored, like the personalities, and they've exaggerated them to show everyone how these are different than the same ol Holmes depicitions of the last 100 years.  And I like that, but it's a little too much.  The original stories were a little more subdued.  Holmes' wittiness wasn't so in your face.  I mean, the movies turned him into a British Jackie Chan.  yes, he's a good fighter, but Holmes was also always surrounded by a sense of gritty realism.

Anyway, a friend of mine recommended I watch the British Holmes version from the 80s, which is supposed to be very good and authentic (Jeremy Brett is Sherlock). Here's the amazon link.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:02 PM by superboyac »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 11:01 PM »
Ok, my turn now.  My new favorite show is Louie:

This guy...I can't say enough good things about this guy.  The show is funny, beautiful, honest, emphatic, shocking...genius.  He does things with relationships that is just the most honest portrayal of dating and parent/child stuff that I have ever seen on the tube.  Which reminds me...I'm about to watch the latest one, can't wait!!

I believe season 1 is on netflix streaming.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2012, 11:06 PM »
There's a great moment when she informs Sherlock Holmes: "I would have you right here - on this table - until you begged for mercy twice." When the normally unflappable Holes replies that he never begs, she merely arches her eyebrows and says, "Twice."
^^, by the way 40, i have to see that scene.  I love that Bohemia story, one of my favorite endings.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 12:57 AM »
Lost is a (previously mentioned) favorite. The new Battlestar Galactica was great, except the [worst ever] ending. Have to agree with Mouser, Breaking Bad is an excellent series.

Other great SciFi: Stargate SG-1, Stargate Universe. Sadly, the BEST Stargate and the shortest lived is Stargate Atlantis. I watch it on Amazon Prime but apparently it's not on Netflix.

My absolute favorite background marathons, though, are MacGyver, Sliders and Fraiser -- each of which I've watched start to finish no fewer than 3 times. If I could find it all in once place, Sopranos would be up there too.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37 AM »
One of the Japanese series I really enjoyed was Trick

They did a season 2 and 3 but by the third year the jokes to do with the foibles of the lead characters were drilled out.

Nakama Yukie plays a magician hired by a Professor played by Abe Hiroshi to debunk those who claim to have occult or mystical powers.  It's a tongue in cheek fun series.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Shu Qi stars in a fine action series, Romance of Red Dust

I watched it on DVD available on Netflix

The video quality on DVD is pretty good considering it's 4x3 TV. Very good action series. Shu Qi looks good and kicks ass. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2012, 01:57 PM »

I will have one point of criticism for this new modernized version of Holmes: they are both missing something.  i don't know what it is, but there's a quality to the books that doesn't seem to translate well to our hip societies.  

I think what they're missing is the bluster and naive arrogance of the Victorian era, when men were men, women were women, and English virtues were the only virtues worth owning. It had an aura of innocence and certainty that you can't recreate in a modern setting. Nor can you duplicate the romance that the imagery of a fog shrouded horse drawn London provided. Setting and the era  are at the heart of Sherlock Holmes appeal. Much like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells needed a less technologically sophisticated world in which to create their wonders and make them believable within that context. Steampunk is trying to get some of that back, but it's still only a pastiche no matter how skillfully it's done.

Anyway, a friend of mine recommended I watch the British Holmes version from the 80s, which is supposed to be very good and authentic (Jeremy Brett is Sherlock). Here's the amazon link.

If you are at all a Sherlock Holmes fan you must watch the Granada Television produced Sherlock Holmes series.

Watch all of them. Jeremy Brett is Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. His interpretation and performance is totally authentic. And with the exception of a misguided attempt to add in a few stories not written by Doyle, all episodes are uniformly excellent. Best of all, each episode is remarkably faithful to the original Canon. A must see!

:Thmbsup:

I'll also suggest the Inspector Morse and the quasi-sequel Inspector Lewis series. Best thing to come out of BBC/PBS Mystery since Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes performance. Convoluted mysteries set in and around the lovely scenery of Oxford University. Well worth getting into. Both series are available on Netflix. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:38 PM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Vouching for Inspector Lewis as well. Dutch public TV would show Inspector Morse in its day. Still think those are well worth watching.

If you want to take a look at the 80´s again, you could also watch Tatort (with the character: Schimanski). German Krimi that sometimes could match Morse. At least you will see some mullets...
 ;D