topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Large hadron collider shut down by bird dropping bread  (Read 15092 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Large hadron collider shut down by bird dropping bread
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:47 PM »
hadron_1517892c.jpg

The 27-kilometer (16.8 mile) LHC suffered serious overheating in several sections after the small piece of baguette landed in a piece of equipment on the surface above the accelerator ring.

Dr Mike Lamont, the LHC’s Machine Coordinator, said that a “a bit of baguette”, believed to have been dropped by a bird, caused the superconducting magnets to heat up from 1.9 Kelvin (-271.1C) to around 8 Kelvin (-265C), near the mark where they stop superconducting.

A failure like this, known as a “quench”, can be expected at around 9.6 Kelvin, CERN engineer Dr Tadeusz Kurtyka told The Register.

In theory, had the LHC been fully operational, this could cause a catastrophic breakdown like that which occurred shortly after it was first switched on last year. However, the machine has several fail-safes which would have shut it down before the temperature rose too high.

From the horses mouth

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Large hadron collider shut down by bird dropping bread
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:52 PM »
There's a lesson in there somewhere... ;D

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:41 PM »
They need to make that thing highly radioactive, to KILL ALL LIVING. That'd solve that problem.
- carpe noctem

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Pigeons - 1 | Nerd Scientists - 0

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:34 AM »
Why would they leave a sensitive device like that vulnerable in the open air above the ground? I just don't get it...

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 01:49 AM »
Those who watched Angels And Demons would know why this happened  ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:52 AM »
Billions of dollars went into this device, which was designed by "Top Scientists" ... that some bird-brain varment just fried with a bread crumb.

Refresh my memory...
...WTF are we paying these people for?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Those who watched Angels And Demons would know why this happened  ;)

I think there was a South Park episode that something on this as well... Stan's dad dressed up as Princess Leia and all that.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Billions of dollars went into this device, which was designed by "Top Scientists" ... that some bird-brain varment just fried with a bread crumb.

Actually no dollars went into this device. It was built by the EU not America (I seem to remember the US were asked to join in but as usual you said no because you wanted to build your own).

Refresh my memory...
...WTF are we paying these people for?

You probably aren't so there's a relief.

Actually I have a serious point to make ... its all very well for the press to enjoy the joke when something like this happens but science has been getting a really bad press mostly from technology numb-skulls and religious ignorami who would still be on a flat earth if they had their way. It's about time scientific advances and adventures were actually applauded - try living for a week without the scientific and technological advances you enjoy!!

Before you respond with "what's the point" of experiments with no practical applications who would have thought most kitchens would have refigerators and microwave ovens a hundred years ago or hospitals would have the imaging devices they have now. I bet back in the early 20th century Marie Curie & co. were fighting to keep their funding too!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Actually I have a serious point to make ... its all very well for the press to enjoy the joke when something like this happens but science has been getting a really bad press mostly from technology numb-skulls and religious ignorami who would still be on a flat earth if they had their way. It's about time scientific advances and adventures were actually applauded - try living for a week without the scientific and technological advances you enjoy!!

Before you respond with "what's the point" of experiments with no practical applications who would have thought most kitchens would have refigerators and microwave ovens a hundred years ago or hospitals would have the imaging devices they have now. I bet back in the early 20th century Marie Curie & co. were fighting to keep their funding too!

+1 for that!

Physics is the most important and the most expensive of all sciences. No branch of science would be anywhere without physics. A few billion dollars to gain some insight into the nature of reality is a small price.

Applauded? Not enough. Praised? That's a good start.

It's these kinds of things that will propel knowledge and scientific advancement and technology.

www.symphonyofscience.com - A beautiful testament. (And thanks to posts from others here at DC for pointing me to it -- I truly appreciated that!)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 11:10 AM »
+1 with Carol

Something inside me dies every time some pseudo-press pundit or politico characterizes NASA research and the US space program as "an inexcusable waste of public money."

When you look at all the technology that originally came out of the space program, NASA has to be one of the biggest bargains in human history as far as cost to benefit goes.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 11:24 AM »
It's about time scientific advances and adventures were actually applauded - try living for a week without the scientific and technological advances you enjoy!!

Here, here (or is that "Hear, hear"? I'm never sure...  :huh:).

For a start, none of us would be frequenting this forum, would we?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:05 PM »

Frequenting a forum? Heck, we'd still be picking up our phones and asking for an operator to place a call for us. ;D

---

BTW: It's "Hear! Hear!"

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Important science, with many practical applications, developed with public funds and used world wide. Many R&D and Science spending in general are the best success stories ever, many have  generated massive profits for the private sector after the public funding phases have moved on to other projects.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 12:31 PM »

Frequenting a forum? Heck, we'd still be picking up our phones and asking for an operator to place a call for us. ;D

---

BTW: It's "Hear! Hear!"

Ah, thanks for clarifying that! No doubt I'll be asking the same question the next time I want to use it, though  :-[

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Sheesh, birds surely can be a destructive force of nature--just ask US Airways pilot "Sully" Sullenberger who landed an airliner in the Hudson River after a double bird strike.

And to think I was only worried about my car's windshield. ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Well gee folks, sorry I woke-up in a good mood and thought I'd lead with a bit of levity ... I hadn't intended to set off the erudition squads philistine alert.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 04:24 PM »
I don't mind the levity of the original post/poster ( :down: :up: :down: :up: :down: :up:). There is something humerous and ironic that such a hi-tec bit of kit (understatement) can be destroyed by a piece of bread!!! What I do object to is the assumption that all scientists do is waste public money on stupid research - plus the idea that it is always US money that is wasted.

I have just started working my way through the Carl Sagan series Cosmos again and one of the things I love (and often brings me to tears) is the sheer beauty of the Cosmos and the research that goes into exposing how it works. The great shame is that Carl Sagan hasn't seen the fruits of some of his work that have really only started to emerge since his death.

It is very hard to understand why scientists are labelled geeks, boffins and nerds whereas people who read Dickens or the Bible are classed by many to be more intelligent (which is why we now have universities full of people studying literature and media studies and a huge lack of people interested in pursuing 'hard science') - I'm afraid I'm left scratching my head in wonder at how attitudes have managed to deteriorate to this point.

You only have to look at education in the UK in recent decades to see how science (and maths) have been dumbed down to the point that it is difficult to get to a point where undergraduate study is possible in many universities without extensive remedial work to get students up to scratch in the first year.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:26 PM by Carol Haynes »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 11:13 PM »
I don't mind the levity of the original post/poster ( :down: :up: :down: :up: :down: :up:). There is something humerous and ironic that such a hi-tec bit of kit (understatement) can be destroyed by a piece of bread!!! What I do object to is the assumption that all scientists do is waste public money on stupid research - plus the idea that it is always US money that is wasted.
I was actually coming from more of a global community angle (which the internet has made us), as in "we" the tax payers of any and all countries ... that have to pay for billion dollar projects that end up going awry in some unique way. And I have no problem with science, I've actually always thought it a much better "investment" than theology...  ;)

It is very hard to understand why scientists are labelled geeks, boffins and nerds whereas people who read Dickens or the Bible are classed by many to be more intelligent (which is why we now have universities full of people studying literature and media studies and a huge lack of people interested in pursuing 'hard science') - I'm afraid I'm left scratching my head in wonder at how attitudes have managed to deteriorate to this point.
Literature is easy to pontificate on (image is everything these days, ya know...) ... Read a book and then rattle off some long winded explanation of what you think it meant in a forceful manner and the crowd will generally all nod because they all want to fit in. Science on the other hand requires that you actually really do know something it depth as guess work tends to be fatal. Hence it requires a bit more driven and dedicated type of participant.

You only have to look at education in the UK in recent decades to see how science (and maths) have been dumbed down to the point that it is difficult to get to a point where undergraduate study is possible in many universities without extensive remedial work to get students up to scratch in the first year.
At least most of your students can still read, ours can hardly form sentences half the time.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 02:57 AM »
At least most of your students can still read, ours can hardly form sentences half the time.

That seems to be the biggest complaint from universities and employers of graduates in the UK too.

Given that the majority now do Arts subjects where they have to write essays how do they get in to university in the first place and how do they pass exams?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 08:21 AM »
I'm guessing we're sitting in front of the first problem, and the second problem is multiple choice exams.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 09:05 AM »
Imperial Officer: "We've analyzed their attack, sir, and there is a danger. Should I have your ship standing by?"
Grand Moff Tarkin: "Evacuate? In out moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!"

"You're all clear, kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home!"

At least *I* think the parallels are obvious...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 05:53 AM »
Lobing in a StarsWars joke nice... :)

(Parallels noted)