topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Worst Win7 reviews (ongoing)  (Read 20523 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Worst Win7 reviews (ongoing)
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:33 AM »
Since Win7 launches this week, I thought it would be nice to start a topic that listed the worst Win7 reviews you come across. You've seen these types of reviews over the years -- some written from those who only used the OS for 15 minutes, some who are hypercritical of small things, and just some outright haterade. Critical honesty is what we're all about here at DonationCoder, so when you see either a cheerleader GREATEST OS EVER review or an unfair review, link to it so we can read what the village is writing.
PCvsMacC01-Win7.jpg
Here is my first example, reprinted below. The PC World review does not carry a byline for some odd reason.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Worst Win7 reviews (ongoing)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Windows 7: 10 things that still need fixing
Perfect? No way. Think of these items as a working to-do list for Windows 8
PC World, 19 OCT 2009

1. Overall consistency
For a Microsoft product, Windows 7 is quite refined. But it still suffers from needless inconsistency. Why do most of its tools place menus on the left, while Internet Explorer 8 and the help system shove them over to the opposite end? Does the new media-sharing feature (HomeGroup) have zero, one, or two capital letters? Why does Office 2007's Ribbon interface show up only in Paint and WordPad?

2. The names of things
Too often, Microsoft's naming decisions confuse rather than clarify. "User Account Control" has nothing to do with the feature it supposedly describes; "Action Center" sounds like Ron Burgundy's local TV newscast. And an OS that already has a feature called Device Manager shouldn't call a new feature "Devices and Printers."

3. Windows Update
The operating system's built-in patching capability is essential. But Windows Update is also the OS's most irritating carryover feature. Tell it to download and install everything without your further intervention (as Microsoft recommends), and it may still insist on rebooting when you are in the middle of important work — or deny you access to your computer altogether while it installs updates.

4. Search
Windows 7's Federated Search lets you add external sources like Flickr and YouTube to Windows Explorer searches. But the OS doesn't help you find those sources and doesn't mention Federated Search in its help system.

5. Help
Help ... needs help. Some sections target nerdy command-line aficionados; others address clueless newbies. Few sections focus on intelligent-but-busy users of intermediate experience.

6. Flip3D
Press Windows-Tab, and you get Vista's fancy 3D task switcher, which pointlessly requires you to cycle through tasks one by one. This duplicates the functionality of Alt-Tab instead of enabling you to get to any task in a couple of clicks, as Apple's similar Exposé does.

7. Backup
Win 7's Backup and Restore Center no longer requires you to devote an external hard drive to a full system backup. But it still isn't as easy to use as Apple's Time Machine. And Microsoft's decision to put network backup only in Windows 7's priciest editions is just silly.

8. Versionitis
Having multiple versions of Windows is fine in theory. But in reality, their minor, subtle, and arbitrary differences invite confusion. Misleading names like Windows 7 Home Premium — the only Windows 7 Home version available in the United States — don't help.

9. Internet Explorer 8
Windows 7's bundled browser is perfectly adequate. But it's playing catch-up with innovative competitors such as Firefox and Google's Chrome, not setting new standards.

10. Document viewing
Like Vista, Windows 7 lets you create application-independent documents that use Microsoft's PDF-like XPS format to retain their original formatting. But PDF is pervasive and XPS hasn't caught on, so wouldn't it be infinitely more convenient if Windows 7 supported PDF out of the box?

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:46 AM »
<off topic>
6. Flip3D
Press Windows-Tab, and you get Vista's fancy 3D task switcher, which pointlessly requires you to cycle through tasks one by one. This duplicates the functionality of Alt-Tab instead of enabling you to get to any task in a couple of clicks, as Apple's similar Exposé does.
Did the reviewer try clicking on one of the windows? You don't have to scroll through the windows to the one you want to activate.
</off topic>
[Insert really cool signature here]

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 01:55 PM »
I think that's the point. That reviewer really doesn't use Win7 and you can tell by his odd little gripes.

tanis424

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:21 PM »
For someone who hates Windows and moved to Linux and has been raving about it ever since you sure do post a lot of Windows topics.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 05:58 AM »
For someone who hates Windows and moved to Linux and has been raving about it ever since you sure do post a lot of Windows topics.

Thanks! I've truly enjoyed Linux and can't wait for the new openSUSE release next month. Win7 is what Vista should have been. While I distinctly hate Microsoft in myriad ways, I'm happy that those who do choose to use Windows will be getting back to a decent experience for a change.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 09:39 AM »
While I distinctly hate Microsoft in myriad ways, I'm happy that those who do choose to use Windows will be getting back to a decent experience for a change.

And that's what it's all about...people being happy on their chosen platform. Also, when one platform gains a really useful feature it provides a little competition. Then the others can copy, refine, and enhance that feature making it even better.

As much as some Mac and Linux users hate to admit it there *are* some really nice features in Windows 7 & I can't wait to see how these other two platforms react and improve their OSes in response.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 12:10 PM »
And that's what it's all about...people being happy on their chosen platform. Also, when one platform gains a really useful feature it provides a little competition. Then the others can copy, refine, and enhance that feature making it even better. As much as some Mac and Linux users hate to admit it there *are* some really nice features in Windows 7 & I can't wait to see how these other two platforms react and improve their OSes in response.

I believe Windows users will be very happy with 7, and will squat on that version for years. I like the overall polish, something that was missing from Vista, and for the year in beta, there's been no real problems to speak of for testers.

For a Linux user, it's still the applications. Most of my computing these days is done in the cloud, but until some folks get Photoshop on Linux, they won't be happy. But don't look for Linux to envy Win7's UI. KDE was there 16 months ago and has really gotten better (I can make it look list Win7, Vista, or OSX if I want, but the original KDE is -- for me -- better than all those). And the OSX UI is undeniably cool all around.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 05:32 AM »
KDE was there 16 months ago and has really gotten better (I can make it look list Win7, Vista, or OSX if I want, but the original KDE is -- for me -- better than all those)
That's really cool!
Could you direct me somewhere where I can make kde have that taskbar just like win7? If so, that might be my last drop to move from gnome to kde :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 02:57 PM »
The KDE 4.x default is it, only it provides more flexibility with regard to widget and process placements.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Does KDE also have that pop-up preview grouping option?

Haven't really touched Windows 7 but I saw a vid where it was showing how you can have two windows of the same app and when you hover on the taskbar thumbnail, it actually switches to the window your mouse is.

Not really a big deal since Compiz has expo and application switchers but I've tried looking for the option in Compiz Gnome (using Linux Mint) and I can't spot anything that resembles that.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Does KDE also have that pop-up preview grouping option?

Yes, that's what I was looking for too. Default KDE (with desktop effects in suse) doesn't, unfortunately. The best thing I've found is dockbarX for gnome, which does the launcher + taskbar button + grouping behavior, but doesn't really have the window previews. Maybe some day (hopefully not too far away ;) )

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Thanks jgpaiva.

How stable is it and can you provide a much newb-friendlier way to install it from source than the one on the site?

I can't seem to find the .deb for jaunty.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 08:03 AM »
I can give you better, Paul!
Here's the PPA: https://launchpad.ne...ar-main/+archive/ppa
If you're running 9.10, it's really easy to add the PPA, and you get the updates through the automatic updater ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 09:57 AM »
The best thing I've found is dockbarX for gnome, which does the launcher + taskbar button + grouping behavior, but doesn't really have the window previews. Maybe some day (hopefully not too far away ;) )

I'm sure the windows preview will be copied and made available in docbarX soon. With all the neat eye-candy features in KDE I can't wait to see how it's implemented & enhanced.

Now, before someone responds and accuses me of making a snarky comment that's not how I meant that to be taken. Whenever any OS adds a neat feature there are third-party programmers on other OSes that like the way that feature works & there's a rush to get that feature working on the OS of their choice, i.e. look how quickly the dock appeared on Windows after it was introduced on OS X.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Not a review per se, but I got a kick out of Five Super-Secret Features in Windows 7.

Among the ultra secrets are... dual-boot software known as Training Camp to run Mac OS X and software that turns normal LCDs into touchscreens. Good Stuff. ;D

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 03:40 PM »
@jgpaiva

Darn. I was hoping it didn't require adding repositories. I haven't learned that yet.

I followed the steps in Mint 7 to get Software Sources installed.

Added the deb and deb src and copy pasted the public key block into a text file and renamed it into .gpg imported and reloaded it and didn't discover dockbarx in Synaptic so I went and type apt-get install dockbarX but when I go to usr/bin/ all I see is a dockbarX.py and executing it does nothing.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 10:18 PM »
Nevermind. I didn't realize it was a gnome applet and I already had it installed.

enar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 04:42 PM »

.....thought this was supposed to be a "worst Win7 reviews" area.........  :huh:

Anyhew here's my contribution.... http://www.associate..._worst_dos_menu.html

Actually, what this person says applies to Linux, Mac, Windows, etc.... He's probably still using DOS and playing pong on his Atari 'Home Pong' console.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Actually, what this person says applies to Linux, Mac, Windows, etc.... He's probably still using DOS and playing pong on his Atari 'Home Pong' console.
Heh.

I'll have to agree that modern OSes are a bit too bloated for my taste, but that guy (or at least his "article") is pretty moronic... there's so much more in an OS than just a network stack and a "menu to launch applications" :)
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 06:31 PM »
I think I get where he's coming from tho. The average Joe User really just wants to fire the thing up and either connect to stuff like cameras, printers, & the internet or open application X and look at item Y. ...Kinda just like they do with a radio or TV. For those folk it just comes down to a connector thingy and a channel guide (Application? Website? Hell I don't know it just said SportsCenter on it...).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 12:12 PM »
I think I get where he's coming from tho. The average Joe User really just wants to fire the thing up and either connect to stuff like cameras, printers, & the internet or open application X and look at item Y. ...Kinda just like they do with a radio or TV. For those folk it just comes down to a connector thingy and a channel guide (Application? Website? Hell I don't know it just said SportsCenter on it...).

I think they make a Barbie laptop for people like that.  ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 01:35 PM »
@enar - Boy did you ever find a twit with that article you referenced. ;D

If you look at a lot of the graphical based operating systems over the years, you can come to a couple of weird observations. One is, at its core an OS is just a menu, a menu to make it easier to start your programs. Think about it for a second.

www.associatedcontent.com/article/1460760/windows_7_review_the_worst_dos_menu.html?cat=15

OK, I've thought about it...

Just a menu? Boy does that guy ever gloss over 99% of what an operating system does.

DOS (despite its name) can't really be considered a full operating system by any modern definition. A command processor would be a much more accurate term for what DOS was.

Yet another apples and oranges comparison courtesy of somebody who hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

Just my 2¢ ;D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:41 PM by 40hz »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I love this headline from The Guardian:

Windows 7 review: like Vista, but good.