topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: One year of IObit's malware protection for free  (Read 7237 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One year of IObit's malware protection for free
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:34 PM »
See this blog [www.raymond.cc] for a free subscription (one year) of protection against malware with IObit Security 360 Pro.

They (IObit) also have a free version, but getting the pro version for no money sounds better. The only requirement is your email address, which is kinda standard these days.

And no, I'm not affiliated with the blog or IObit.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: One year of IObit's malware protection for free
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:59 PM »
http://db.iobit.com/...n7-special-offer.php
Thanks for the notice, Shades. Seems the only advantage to the Pro version is auto-scanning and auto-updating.

With continued development, this program could become a serious contender in the war against malware. In additon to the malware protection, IObit Security 360 has a tools section which emulates HijackThis, SpywareBlaster, etc.

The Security Holes section is still in beta, and I get some questionable info regarding missing patches.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:08 PM »
New version is 1.10. IObit forum indicates the road has been a bit bumpy-- memory leak and crash issues with early versions.

btw- the installation offers the IObit Toolbar-- enough with the toolbars already!

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 03:57 PM »
When I tried IObit Security 360 several weeks ago, I was struck by the similar results I found with it and MBAM. Now it seems there are allegations IObit is stealing Malwarebytes' proprietary sigs. :o Cripes, this has the potential to get real ugly, and legal action is reportedly imminent.

http://www.malwareby...t=0&#entry152610

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:53 PM »
Yep, saw that also.  Bad enough to steal it, but they also fell into a trap from that theft.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 05:50 PM »
Crashes, toolbars, and now outright theft of other companies' work (note that Malwarebytes indicates there's evidence that their work likely isn't the only stuff being stolen)?

I don't think it's worth the price.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 11:49 PM »
Early IObit Security 360 tests/reviews were less than flattering with many saying the resident protection was deficient. But considering the IObit name, I just kinda figured they would get it all sorted out after a few versions.

Look at the Tools section of IObit Security 360. Anybody who's ever used HijackThis will immediately notice IObit's Hijack Scan is remarkably similar. Likewise, IObit's Passive Defense is eerily similar to SpywareBlaster.

After Malwarebytes' allegations, it's now a valid question to ask if there is any original component whatsoever in this IObit software. IObit better have good lawyers because this looks like a serious mess.

EDIT: btw I'm not rushing to judgment on this. I still have IObit Security 360 installed at this moment, and IObit is innocent until proven guilty. But it sure ain't lookin' good for the home team. :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 12:31 AM by sajman99 »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 03:11 PM »
I forgot about this thread and just wanted to say I uninstalled IObit Security 360 a good while ago. I didn't want to believe the accusations, but I drew my own conclusions and certainly don't want to be perceived as condoning software theft.

If you are so inclined, you can "nuke" IObit software with BitRemover if you have .NET 3.5:
It has been widely reported that after uninstalling their programs a considerable amount of data will be left behind on a computer. We at T-Tools have created a program we named BitRemover that has been designed specifically to remove every last trace of the entries of IObit programs left behind if and when you had decided to uninstall one or more of these programs. Be aware that we do not in any way advise you to remove any one of IObit's programs.

Back when I uninstalled 360 via Add/Remove, sure enough it didn't uninstall cleanly >:( so this could be a useful tool for some folks.