topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox --3.5-- Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 55475 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox --3.5-- Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 04:08 PM »
No I already use FARR.  What I mean is the Launchy Firefox extension.  You right click in the browser and it opens another browser or another app with the selection.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with image viewers like Irfanview or XnView. It lists them as enabled, but when you right click on a link to an image you get everything else but an image viewer.  It's been that way for awhile now so I don't think the author is interested in fixing it.

edit: unless maybe there's a FF plugin. I have stayed away from FARR plugins mainly because there's too many of them to explorer for the moment.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:10 PM by MilesAhead »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2009, 04:21 PM »
ok, my mistake then.. sorry :(
didn't realize we were talking about a FF extension called "Launchy" -- I suppose that makes a lot more sense now that it is being discussed in this thread.
Sorry!! I'll go hide in the corner in shame.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2009, 05:34 PM »
No biggy. I just thought maybe there was an inside joke and I wasn't gettin' it. :)
I hate it when that happens. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Speaking of FARR I figured out how to open the current FF page in Opera.  Using Pasty I highlight the location and hit the Pasty hotkey.  I set the "search hotkey" to the FARR hotkey.  FARR opens and the macro types in the URL.  I set Opera as external alternative browser.

There's probably better ways of doing it but for now this works no matter which browser I start with.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:27 PM by MilesAhead »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2009, 09:53 PM »
There's probably better ways of doing it but for now this works no matter which browser I start with.
With FF's OperaView extension, just right-click and select "View this Page in Opera."

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2009, 11:00 AM »
No I already use FARR.  What I mean is the Launchy Firefox extension.  You right click in the browser and it opens another browser or another app with the selection.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with image viewers like Irfanview or XnView. It lists them as enabled, but when you right click on a link to an image you get everything else but an image viewer.  It's been that way for awhile now so I don't think the author is interested in fixing it.

Weird, XnView is always shown for pictures here.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2009, 01:30 PM »
No I already use FARR.  What I mean is the Launchy Firefox extension.  You right click in the browser and it opens another browser or another app with the selection.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with image viewers like Irfanview or XnView. It lists them as enabled, but when you right click on a link to an image you get everything else but an image viewer.  It's been that way for awhile now so I don't think the author is interested in fixing it.

Weird, XnView is always shown for pictures here.

If the browser is already showing the picture, and I right click the picture, Launchy shows "open in Irfanview" but if I right click on the link, I don't get any graphics viewers in the list.  Just video players.  If it knows enough to list the video players it should know enough to list the graphics viewers/editors.  But it doesn't.  It's just way quirky.  I don't know how many times I've added an app, then tried to configure it even using the xml doodad.  It's never worked for me yet.  The app has to be already installed when I install Launchy, then if it auto configs it, it might work.

UTLonghorns

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2009, 01:20 AM »
Searchbastard is the most powerful Firefox Search extension I have ever used. I do not know how I got by without it before. Here is a brief description pulled from the Mozilla addons site:

"Quickly access your search engines and powerful "Searchbastard engines", which provides search options and can clean up the search results. Group engines, and perform multisearch. The "selection search" feature allows you to quickly look up words on a page, by selecting the text and typing the engine alias. The "adressfield search" extends the firefox feature, so you can also search the groups and searchbastard engines by typing the alias followed by the searchterm in the address field. The searchbar allows you to quickly perform a search, and quickly repeat that search using another engine. Everything is extremely customizable: You can arrange the frames in a multisearch, you can assign actions to all toolbar events, etc. The plugin is lightweight, and features are dynamically loaded when needed.

I use it in conjunction with Add to Search Bar or create a search plugin with one of the following sites:

Ready2Search Search Plugin Maker (Can Use Custom Favicons for Search Plugin)
http://ready.to/search/en/

or

SearchPlugins.net Search Plugin Maker
http://www.searchplu...ns.net/generate.aspx

I also use a bookmarklet from https://www.squarefr...kmarklets/forms.html to convert Search fields from post to get method when needed.

The ability to search multiple engines at one time, use different engines by simply clicking an icon, and create custom search groups make this a must have extension for me!!

Mozilla Addons Page
https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/8030

Homepage
http://searchbastard...ll.dk/wiki/Main_Page

HookEm!!

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Do any of you know how to make Firefox stop assuming I'm too lazy to type the domain and immediately search using my default search engine?

If you haven't tried it yet, there's a new addon does this: Advanced Address Bar.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2009, 05:02 AM »
Thank you. SearchBastard is awesome!

Searchbastard is the most powerful Firefox Search extension I have ever used. I do not know how I got by without it before. Here is a brief description pulled from the Mozilla addons site:

"Quickly access your search engines and powerful "Searchbastard engines", which provides search options and can clean up the search results. Group engines, and perform multisearch. The "selection search" feature allows you to quickly look up words on a page, by selecting the text and typing the engine alias. The "adressfield search" extends the firefox feature, so you can also search the groups and searchbastard engines by typing the alias followed by the searchterm in the address field. The searchbar allows you to quickly perform a search, and quickly repeat that search using another engine. Everything is extremely customizable: You can arrange the frames in a multisearch, you can assign actions to all toolbar events, etc. The plugin is lightweight, and features are dynamically loaded when needed.

I use it in conjunction with Add to Search Bar or create a search plugin with one of the following sites:

Ready2Search Search Plugin Maker (Can Use Custom Favicons for Search Plugin)
http://ready.to/search/en/

or

SearchPlugins.net Search Plugin Maker
http://www.searchplu...ns.net/generate.aspx

I also use a bookmarklet from https://www.squarefr...kmarklets/forms.html to convert Search fields from post to get method when needed.

The ability to search multiple engines at one time, use different engines by simply clicking an icon, and create custom search groups make this a must have extension for me!!

Mozilla Addons Page
https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/8030

Homepage
http://searchbastard...ll.dk/wiki/Main_Page

HookEm!!
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Thanks mwang! I've installed it, I'll play with it for a while and report back...

Initial impression: it seems to work like I want, sweet!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:03 PM by Hirudin »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Web bugs and tracking services. Those small, invisible things on web pages that report back to The Man what you're viewing, what you're reading, and what you're doing.

I hate them with a passion as does everyone who values their privacy. In my quest to combat these evil things I have discovered Ghostery. It's a Firefox extension that makes you aware of over 210 different web bugs & tracking services that may be on the web sites you visit and gives you the ability to block them if you wish.

https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/9609

and/or

http://www.ghostery.com/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Launchy ...
... if I right click on the link, I don't get any graphics viewers in the list.  Just video players.  

Both these links (to one and the same picture #Edited: one to the actual photo, and the other to the page containing the (link to the) photo#) should make Launchy suggest XnView etcetera,: http://farm3.static....440_c13bc94a1a_o.jpg
, and: http://www.flickr.co.../3884282440/sizes/o/

At least it will in my setup (FF 3.0). But of course, I only installed Launchy today, so I don't know yet if it will loose its wits when I install something new. Will Launchy get "repaired" if you re-install it?
 :tellme:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:07 AM by Curt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2009, 11:56 AM »
The only thing that gets fixed by reinstall, is it will actually use apps in the list.  IOW, if I add a graphics viewer after Launchy is installed, it won't use it no way nohow no matter how I configure it.  It has to be there when Launchy is installed and autoconfigured by Launchy.  Even then, it won't work with the graphics links.  Guess I'll have to live with it unless I want to explore the morass of Windows clipboard handling myself. I don't look forward to messing with other than text afa that goes. :) Maybe if I found an AutoIt3 UDF where all the tough stuff is already done. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2009, 05:14 AM »
Regarding the subject of the thread, extensions for FF 3.5: I did update my Firefox 3.0 when the "final" 3.5.3 was launched, but removed it again and went back to 3.0, because too many extensions were broken. Far too many! Yes, 3.5 is notable faster, but other than that, all I could think of was how I was missing this and that feature.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2009, 06:40 AM »
Regarding the subject of the thread, extensions for FF 3.5: I did update my Firefox 3.0 when the "final" 3.5.3 was launched, but removed it again and went back to 3.0, because too many extensions were broken. Far too many! Yes, 3.5 is notable faster, but other than that, all I could think of was how I was missing this and that feature.

I use https://addons.mozil...US/firefox/addon/421 to force compatibility for add-ons that are not yet updated. They work fine.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2009, 07:04 AM »
Yes, MR Tech Toolkit should do the trick. Or, if you don't want to install a 300K extension just for the purpose, then you may disable extension compatibility check manually in about:config or in prefs.js. The item to look for is "extensions.checkCompatibility" (you have to add the item manually if you're editing prefs.js directly for it doesn't exist by default).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Or another alternative is to just directly edit the extensions to provide support for Firefox v3.5x. However, there might be a very good reason why they don't work with v3.5x. You could end up with a real mess on your hands if you are not careful.

As I advised a few other people on this forum it might benefit you greatly to do a manual check for updates to your extensions to work with v3.5. When I upgraded from v3.0 I had lots of extensions that did not work, but when I checked the extensions' home pages and http://addons.mozilla.org manually I found updates to all of them to work with v3.5 that Firefox's auto-update were not picking up.

Failing that, give us a list of extensions that do not work for you & we may be able to suggest replacements that work just as well or better than the ones you are using.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2009, 12:17 PM »
what is this   you have lured me into installing?  it is  T E R R I B L E !

I am now re-installing 3.0, and removing Mr Tech.

1'stRestart.gif

Edited: Okay, I don't have to remove Mr Tech.
Something went terrible wrong with FF 3.5, but I don't know why.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:31 PM by Curt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Actually it has nothing to do with FF version.  Launchy has always worked like that on my machines.  Maybe it just doesn't like HP I don't know.  

Anyway, to get back on topic, someone recommended PrintPDF  It's cool, among other uses, for those situations when you get a receipt for an online purchase that doesn't "save page as" properly and you don't really want to print out hard copy.  Just "print" to PDF using this addon and save the file in your receipt folder.  Works with my build of Minefield using Mr Tech.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2009, 01:50 PM »
It's cool, among other uses, for those situations when you get a receipt for an online purchase that doesn't "save page as" properly and you don't really want to print out hard copy.

May I suggest for those pages that won't "save page as" properly to install the Mozilla Archive Format plugin:

https://addons.mozil...US/firefox/addon/212

Web pages save as one file & allows Firefox to work with IE's MHT files.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2009, 04:48 PM »
- what is "MAF"/"MAFF"??

Edited: Oh, now I see; Mozilla Archive Format
Can the file be read by another Firefox without MAF, or is it that all Firefoxes have MAF?

okay, I have finally found the page
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:53 PM by Curt »

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2009, 05:43 PM »
The only extension i truly use is download statusbar. I know it's been listed already, just wanted to add a vote for it
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Instead of printing I just take a screen capture when I've ordered something online. I of course use Screenshot Captor to make this process easy.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2009, 10:58 AM »
- what is "MAF"/"MAFF"??

Curt, sorry I didn't make it more plain, but I'm glad you found the information you were seeking.