topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 7 limited time upgrade discount starting tomorrow (June 26th)  (Read 34265 times)

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry, I didn't like the first version of this post, so I re-wrote it...

Microsoft has announced the prices for the various Windows 7 editions, they're keeping them at pretty much the same prices as Vista... They're also starting a promotion tomorrow that will let people order the upgrade versions for around 50% of what they will be a couple weeks from now.

Screenshot - 6_25_2009 , 3_31_03 PM.png

Prices...
Ultimate
Upgrade Promo: not available
Upgrade: $220
Retail: $320
OEM: ?

Professional
Upgrade Promo: $100
Upgrade: $200
Retail: $300

Home Premium
Upgrade Promo: $50
Upgrade: $120
Retail: $200

Here's an article with more info: Computerworld: Microsoft discounts Windows 7 Home Premium to $50; deal to last two weeks

I'm weary of "upgrading" Windows from one version to another, but this deal is just about too good to pass up. If I wasn't so broke I'd grab one of these up and just plan to install XP first, then be forced do do a CLEAN install of Windows 7.
Screenshot - 6_25_2009 , 3_38_02 PM.png
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:41 PM by Hirudin »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks for the heads up Hirudin

If I understand the comment/answer at the end correctly - means you will have to format and start afresh - not a bad idea anyway with a new OS install

note for (parts of) Europe - (or all?)
The pre-order discount prices are valid from June 26 through July 11 in the U.S. and Canada, but end July 5 in Japan. Customers in the U.K., France and Germany will be offered similar pre-order discounts starting July 15, said LeBlanc.

or is it only the 'bigger' countries are getting this . .

Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
note for (parts of) Europe - (or all?)
The pre-order discount prices are valid from June 26 through July 11 in the U.S. and Canada, but end July 5 in Japan. Customers in the U.K., France and Germany will be offered similar pre-order discounts starting July 15, said LeBlanc.

or is it only the 'bigger' countries are getting this . .
The reasoning behind this is that for EU countries (which doesn't mean all of europe :)), MS has been forced to cut IE from Windows. They haven't had enough time to test the implications of this for upgrade installs, and thus offer the full version for upgrade price.

Or at least that's the official story.
- carpe noctem

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I pre-ordered 2 copies this morning.  I just couldn't resist that price, and I know I don't want to go back to WinXP or Vista after the RC1 drops dead. 

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This may not be the place for this question, but does anyone know what the difference between the pro and home version will be?

Thanks, Ken

P.S. Sorry if this reply is sorely out of place or so obvious most barnyard animals would know the answer.
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's a comparison chart: http://windows.micro...cts/compare-editions

The differences are few. The only thing I see that Home Premium doesn't have that I might want is BitLocker. I figure I'll just use TrueCrypt instead.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There's WinXP mode too. Presumably that will become less useful as the years go by.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does anyone know if Win7Pro media will have the 64-bit version as well , or its only 32-bit ?
MS seems to be silent about 64-bit Win7Pro in this promo.

SKA

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And once again Darkest Africa is left out in the cold!  >:(
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:58 AM by CleverCat »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Of course if you live in the UK simply change US$ for UK£

I can't believe MS can't convert currencies.

So we get a 'special' deal on Windows 7 HP and Pro- more expensive and no Internet Explorer installed.

Maybe it is a good deal getting Windows without IE ;) eve if it is more expensive.

Trouble is everyone know the first thing most people will do is to install IE because there are so many badly designed websites that don't work properly in anything but IE.

UK Aside
I was working with a client the other day trying to solve a problem using the ParcelForce courier delivery website. He has to use it to generate the labels that the driver scans when collecting parcels and it wasn't working for him. Turns out it was an ISP server issue (that they won't admit) but I was shocked to see that a website that generates PDF files to print insists on using Internet Explorer and fails if you use any other browser. SO they are saying that anyone who wants to use their service has to use Windows based computers! How stupid is that?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The trouble is that it is not a simple currency conversion for the UK.

MS aren't offering the upgrade versions at all, but are offering promo prices on the retail version.
For instance, Home Premium £50 = approx $83 at current rates. There are advantages for some people with this. Still have to see what sale prices will actually be. Compared to prices in the past, the pre-order pricing is very good and MS seem to have the marketing right on this to get W7 off to a good start, unlike Vista. Feel sorry for anyone who paid good money for Vista, but that's probably what has got the rest of us better prices now.

The long-term prices, like-for-like, are of course higher in the UK, but the % seems to vary a lot according to the version.

Not sure how easy it will be to access US versions, or how well they will install/activate. Will be watching out for any info on this.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does anyone know if Win7Pro media will have the 64-bit version as well , or its only 32-bit ?
MS seems to be silent about 64-bit Win7Pro in this promo.

SKA
I don't know what was there before, but here's the Microsoft site now...
Screenshot - 6_27_2009 , 7_02_13 AM.png

The trouble is that it is not a simple currency conversion for the UK.

MS aren't offering the upgrade versions at all, but are offering promo prices on the retail version.
For instance, Home Premium £50 = approx $83 at current rates. There are advantages for some people with this. Still have to see what sale prices will actually be. Compared to prices in the past, the pre-order pricing is very good and MS seem to have the marketing right on this to get W7 off to a good start, unlike Vista.
I wish I could order a full version at a discounted price! $83 is less than most of the copies of Vista I bought (I think I got one of them for like $35 though).
Feel sorry for anyone who paid good money for Vista, but that's probably what has got the rest of us better prices now.
Yeah... I've got a full retail version of Vista Home Premium that I bought, but have never used. I wish I could "trade up" or something.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:02 AM by Hirudin »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For instance, Home Premium £50

where did you see the prices for UK Carol ?  and any idea of Euro prices?
Tom

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Euro prices are commonly reported as the same as £ prices, ... so much cheaper in euros.

We'll see what retailers actually do when it becomes available for pre-order.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For instance, Home Premium £50

where did you see the prices for UK Carol ?  and any idea of Euro prices?

I got an email from MS.

Yes they are offering promo pre-sale prices on the full version but only because they have to because the Euro version will not have a functioning version of Windows 7 that will upgrade anything.

OK it is a good idea to clean install but it is a big inconvenience for European Vista users that they can't use an upgrade even if they want to.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK it is a good idea to clean install but it is a big inconvenience for European Vista users that they can't use an upgrade even if they want to.
-Carol Haynes (June 27, 2009, 11:45 AM)

wonder will that mean there'll be no upgrade pricing available in Europe at all - even when it's released? (just because of the IE fiasco?)
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
-Carol Haynes (June 27, 2009, 11:45 AM)

wonder will that mean there'll be no upgrade pricing available in Europe at all - even when it's released? (just because of the IE fiasco?)
As mentioned earlier, supposedly the countries that are part of the EU (which isn't the entire Europe) get the full version for upgrade price.
- carpe noctem

Ted M

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The $49 offer sounds great. However, does anyone know, for certain, if the Microsoft-bought Windows 7 will upgrade a Dell computer that came with a Dell-installed Vista Home Premium OS?

Or, do I have to buy Windows 7 from Dell?

Thank you.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

They have already announced the pricing for upgrades in Europe. It's just that they won't have an upgrade version available for quite a while, and it will be too late for the promo.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As mentioned earlier, supposedly the countries that are part of the EU (which isn't the entire Europe) get the full version for upgrade price.
-f0dder

This statement is in line with everything I have read so far. EU users get all the benefits of upgrade pricing with the benefits of having a full non-upgrade version.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The $49 offer sounds great. However, does anyone know, for certain, if the Microsoft-bought Windows 7 will upgrade a Dell computer that came with a Dell-installed Vista Home Premium OS?

Or, do I have to buy Windows 7 from Dell?
-Ted M

You do not have to buy Windows 7 from Dell. The version one can buy from Microsoft will work perfectly. And with Windows 7 upgrade installs are for once a viable option. Microsoft have finally perfected the upgrade process to the point there's no weirdness due to upgrading an old OS to a new one.

However, if you are advised during the upgrade process to uninstall certain apps before allowing the upgrade process to continue then you darn well better do so. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that this is NOT a "just do it to be safe" suggestion, but rather a "do this now or there are not enough words in the world tot ell you how sorry you will be if you continue" mandate.

EDIT: to fix omitted NOT.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:13 AM by Innuendo »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This statement is in line with everything I have read so far. EU users get all the benefits of upgrade pricing with the benefits of having a full non-upgrade version.

But it's not strictly true. They talk about the reduction for the promo, but the prices are higher than the upgrade promo in the US. Good deal if you want the non-upgrade version, not a good deal if you want the cheapest price.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-f0dder

Thta's true but the only reason for this is not preferential treatment for Europe but rather than comply with the EU in any other way MS are being b****y awkward and not offering any Windows 7 build in the UK with Internet Explorer included. Consequently EU Win7 discs will have to be installed from scratch (even if you want to upgrade).

Having said that if you buy a Win 7  upgrade in other parts of the world it will probably work in the same way as Vista and WinXP SP3 and let you install it from clean without the need for a preinstalled version.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
well it took me a while to find it but here's the german offer . .

Vor Verfügbarkeit bietet Microsoft auch ein Vorverkaufsangebot für Windows 7 an. In Deutschland können Kunden vom 15. Juli bis Mitte August 2009 oder solange der Vorrat reicht die Windows 7 Home Premium E zu einer unverbindlichen Preisempfehlung von 49,99 Euro im Fachhandel und bei E-Tailern vorbestellen
-http://www.microsoft.com/germany/presseservice/detail.mspx?id=532742
in germany as of 15 july until the middle of august - or until supplies run out [whatever that means] you can get Windows 7 Home Premium E for 49.99 euros
€49 = $70 = £42.5
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can tell you in no uncertain terms that this is a "just do it to be safe" suggestion, but rather a "do this now or there are not enough words in the world tot ell you how sorry you will be if you continue" mandate.

I assume that "this is 'just a do it to be safe suggestion'" was meant to read 'this is not 'just a do it to be safe'"?