topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYplorer 8.00 released with DUAL PANES (!)  (Read 28267 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer 8.00 released with DUAL PANES (!)
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Since no one else has done so, I am really glad to be the first to say

"Hey Don, thanks for adding dual panes".

I know you have been asked to add this feature over and over and over and ... While you always resisted in the past, you gave the users dual panes this time.
So here's to you! :beerchug:
Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 12:33 PM »
So here's to you! :beerchug:
Hey, thanks for the beer!! :Thmbsup:

BTW, I took the ardent extra-energy of this thread and converted it into PDF-thumbnails in next release... 8) .. and, yes, it also includes exotic stuff like PDN and what not...

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 12:34 PM »
I do want to state for the record that I admire what Don's been accomplishing with his file manager. He's trying to bring all the power of the Total Commanders and Directory Opuses of the world to an Explorer-style file manager without becoming as convoluted in the options/preferences department as Directory Opus and I think he's done very well accomplishing that.
I must say, for a descript.ion user you did a fine job in describing my work! :up:

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 01:10 PM »
BTW, I took the ardent extra-energy of this thread and converted it into PDF-thumbnails in next release... 8) .. and, yes, it also includes exotic stuff like PDN and what not...

Just being curious: using IShellXXX stuff?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 01:31 PM »
BTW, I took the ardent extra-energy of this thread and converted it into PDF-thumbnails in next release
Witty and helpful. Next you'll be claiming to be handsome  :o

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 01:48 PM »

Just being curious: using IShellXXX stuff?
-fenixproductions (June 17, 2009, 01:10 PM)
Yes! I had made an attempt at this about 2 years ago, failed, and gave up early. Now when you mentioned it in your other post I decided to give it a quick 2nd try and -- viola! -- solved the problem easily. :) So, some credits go to fenixproductions for PDF-thumbnails in XY, thanks!

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 02:01 PM »
2DonL
I am glad that my whining gave positive results :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 07:29 PM »
I must say, for a descript.ion user you did a fine job in describing my work! :up:
-DonL

I told you. I'm passionate about file managers. I've tried well over 75 of them extensively and yes, yours was one of them.

I still think descript.ions would augment tags.dat functionality without being redundant.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 12:22 AM »
-DonL

I told you. I'm passionate about file managers. I've tried well over 75 of them extensively and yes, yours was one of them.

I still think descript.ions would augment tags.dat functionality without being redundant.

Wherever the discussion is heading, and however people feel about these issues, in the end we need a COMMON FORMAT for file descriptions. Everyone having their own file description format is not cool from the user perspective.  The developers should start talking about this stuff seriously. I do not have any feeling about any of them but as a user I would like to have common format so that I can use with different applications. Remember private formats always hurts the developers in the long run, hardware or software does not matter really.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:24 AM by kartal »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 03:31 AM »
I just miss descript.ion file support.
Oh, I must have overlooked that point  ;D
I wonder how many people on here use them?  Might be interesting to see if anyone else holds up a hand.
-cranioscopical (June 17, 2009, 10:46 AM)

I do, a bit.

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Good to know;

time to give it another try!.

XYplorer 8.00 has been released on 15-Jun-2009. Here's a quick introduction to the main new features:

1) Dual Pane
  Dual Pane file management is synonymous with productivity and ease of use. It combines comfort, speed, and power in the most natural way, namely by letting you look at the contents of two folders side by side.
  Both panes are tabbed, and can be arranged vertically or horizontally, or shown individually as single panes.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Wherever the discussion is heading, and however people feel about these issues, in the end we need a COMMON FORMAT for file descriptions.
-kartal

The closest thing we have to 'a common format for file descriptions" is descript.ion files. The format was invented in the early 90s by JPSoft & is the only format that is used by numerous programs to this day. Maybe now is the time for a new universal format, but till the descript.ion files are the only thing one can use between multiple programs and have a common database of file descriptions.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I still find it strange not to see as many thumbnails as I want to. I.e. PDN files (from Paint.NET) can be seen in Explorer, Total Commander and many other file managers because they can use IShellFolder for getting the thumbnail. Even my Comparer does it but XY has problems.
-fenixproductions (June 16, 2009, 06:53 AM)
Did you try 8.10? Should work now... 8)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 01:52 PM »
Did you try 8.10? Should work now... 8)
It is great now! As expected: even for PDF or OpenOffice documents thumbnails are shown. Great work :Thmbsup:

One thing makes me wonder: how the list is painted or thumbs added to it? Do you process files in background thread or in the main one?

I am asking because in the case of directories with many BMP files XY seems to be not responding until every thumbnails is generated. It gives the feeling of slowing user down.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 07:50 AM »
I am asking because in the case of directories with many BMP files XY seems to be not responding until every thumbnails is generated. It gives the feeling of slowing user down.
-fenixproductions (July 02, 2009, 01:52 PM)
Yes, I actually fixed this today.

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2009, 11:10 AM »
The thumbnail view is, of course, really helpful but I have one problem with it for files from which I have several versions (i.e. several stages of editing). 
When using the thumbnail view I often would still need to know the file format to be able to distinguish versions.  For me it would be great if the thumbnails could be overlayed with file format icons or text for (doc, pdf, tif, jpg, psd, psp, ....) - as an option.
???

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 05:24 PM »
The thumbnail view is, of course, really helpful but I have one problem with it for files from which I have several versions (i.e. several stages of editing). 
When using the thumbnail view I often would still need to know the file format to be able to distinguish versions.  For me it would be great if the thumbnails could be overlayed with file format icons or text for (doc, pdf, tif, jpg, psd, psp, ....) - as an option.
???
There's a option to do this in the configuration dialog.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2009, 10:13 AM »
So, Don....any chance of us being able to sweet-talk you into extending DC a members-only discount? I'm sure there are some people here who would take advantage of such a deal if it were available to them. :)

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 12:54 AM »
There's a option to do this in the configuration dialog.

Oh, yes indeed !   Very nice.
Thanks!