topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: xplorer² file manager - $14.95 - Bits Du Jour 6/17/2009 - WEDNESDAY  (Read 11071 times)

llc_silly

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • LLC
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Xplorer2 pro is one of the best file manager for Windows, if you ask me.  :P
It's not often discounted, but now it is 51% off!  :-*

The link is here :
http://www.bitsdujou...om/software/xplorer/

xplorer2 home page:
http://www.zabkat.com/

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some thoughts...

This discount is a good price. However, checking the author's web site states that your purchase entitles you to upgrades and support for one year. Lifetime support and upgrades is an additional $19.95. If Bits du Jour can get us a discount on the full lifetime deal than this may be a must buy. If one still has to shell out $14.95 plus the additional $19.95 the must-buy rating drops to a solid meh.

While I was rambling around the author's site I ran across an announcement for a bug-fix update to his program to work with Windows 7.

http://www.zabkat.co...indows7-explorer.htm

I understand a new OS comes out and a few things in your program need to be tweaked. I also understand his position of "Windows Explorer bad. Xplorer2 good." However, he loses me when he gets down to the part where he's blaming deficiencies in his program on Vista and Microsoft.

The latest build taps into most of the new W7 features including libraries. It remains to be seen if they have fixed the vista bugs that intermittently crashed xplorer² during drag-drop.

Excuse me? I have used tons of programs with Windows Vista and at least a dozen were file managers and not a single one crashed during a drag-and-drop operation. Never. If everybody else's program is working fine and yours isn't the maybe it's a bug in YOUR code, Mr. Xplorer2 Author.

Reading the comments for this announcement was also an enlightening experience as well. One of his registered users had this to say in reply to this announcement:

I think you have reached a point in your life where you have started to resist change. Compared to early years of X2, in past few years Xplorer2 development has really slowed down and most of releases are just bug fixes. You require lot of convincing to add anything new or resist any X2 code rewrite. For any new feature request you suggest workarounds. You blame MS for change but MS is not going to stop innovating. As MS moves ahead some old things will break and its up to the old apps to do the catch up to stay current.

You may have your personal reasons and I may be wrong in my assumptions but as a long time X2 user this is what I feel and wanted to speak out.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see myself rushing into that kind of a relationship with a software author. If I want to surround myself with people who are resistant to suggestions and change I'll go hang around my workplace.  ;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Today's the day if you are wanting to purchase this program. Two caveats:

1) Lifetime upgrades is $19.95 extra as confirmed by the author.

2) The ability to run the portable version is $10 extra as confirmed by the author.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Loaded it for the first time.  I like the look and feel of the program, the fact of the lite version is interesting (not for commercial use though).  Most of my file management stuff is mundane, although that could change.  For $15 I may like to have the program for its nice appearance, to compare features and to have some variety (Total Commander and Free Commander are both excellent, yet both have many differences, and they are not winning all the style contests :) ).  

The xPlorer2 forum chat really just seemed like nice honest back-and-forth, not every program is gonna be like Total Commander where the developer is soooo involved.  Programming is simply not that easy, and the rewards on not that great on such an effort.  The forum does look strong overall.  

So I can see a little back-and-forth usage TC #1 and xPlorer2 #2 and some Free Commander.  And, the cake icing, xPlorer2 Lite being a good recommendation for friends, with some obvious advantages over Free Commander in the no-cost realm.  I didn't see any real lacks on Lite for the home daily user, did I miss any on my skim ?

Just thinking out loud here.  Will decide in an hour. When I wrote about the freebies, I didn't look that closely at this Lite.

File Managers - 10+ almost absolutely freebies
https://www.donation....msg161521#msg161521

Curious - what is the licensing for a single user with home and work puters ?   Per user ?  Per puter ?

Shalom,
Steven

kreatorr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Steve,
I've been a long time user of xplorer2, and although I have not compared it against TC and other popular ones, it has fit my usage well.  It is quite lightweight, with a good set of features.  The one I use a lot is the 'scrap' window container, whereby you can flatten out the contents of various directories (not necessarily from the same parent) into a single window to be manipulated or monitored.  Also, once you get a hang of the various shortcut keys, there're a wealth of features at your disposal.

The license allows for either multiple computer installations for one user, or single computer for multiple users.  It's your choice ;)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Thanks kreatorr.  I went for it, mostly because it just seems like a nice, sweet program.  Also I sometimes like to have two file managers open, and while, e.g. Total Commander allows double-instances, a lot of times it is easier to work with two distinct programs. Also things like the favorites toolbar buttons make a lot of sense. (If that is what it is.) I can see at least giving xplorer2 some moderate daily usage.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think it's a good program and was very good value at half price. A neat and efficient program to use.
Not quite so worth it for me personally with the portable extra not being reduced (and already having DO, Q-Dir and Shellless) and only really wanting portable programs.

Bending_Unit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: xplorer² file manager - $14.95 - Bits Du Jour 6/17/2009 - WEDNESDAY
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 06:05 AM »
Let me revive this thread then, no point in posting the very same thing i a new thread.

Its on again at BitsDuJour. The Pro and the Ultimate edition. Links from the OP below are still valid.

I have been using xplorer² for years now. Since i don´t have a lifetime license i am still on version 2. And to be honest v3 has no feature that i really absolutely need at this point in time but for the half price i just swept in and bought a new license anyway.   :)

The link is here :

xplorer2 home page:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
xplorer² file manager - $14.95 (50% off) - BitsDuJour WED.2016-12-13
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 08:03 AM »
...I have been using xplorer² for years now. Since i don´t have a lifetime license i am still on version 2. And to be honest v3 has no feature that i really absolutely need at this point in time but for the half price i just swept in and bought a new license anyway. ...

I too have been using xplorer² in various forms for years:
  • In 2004, I initially started trialling the $FREE 2xExplorer (which is still a useful piece of software), after being impressed with how well it worked in a corporate Citrix migration and set-up (for peculiar security reasons, we needed to avoid implementing the standard Windows Explorer for users).
  • In 2005, I trialled xplorer².
  • In 2006, I  purchased a licence for xplorer².
  • In 2009, I upgraded (purchased at a discount, I think it was) to a paid lifetime licence for the Pro version.
xplorer² blows Windows Explorer out of the water for anyone who browses multiple folders, copies, pastes, moves and searches the PC filesystem frequently
- LifeHacker review
I agree with the LifeHacker review - in daily use, one is constantly reminded with how phenomenally powerful and useful a file management tool it is. Of the various alternatives (and some are very good), I consider xplorer² to be second to none. All kudos to its developer.    :Thmbsup:

It is also ergonomically well-designed, making it easy to use - my 15 y/o daughter and 6 y/o son have been using it without difficulty for years. For example, there's a very useful option to have error messages (that appear with an exclamation mark at the bottom of the display) spoken to you as well - in case you didn't see them (or couldn't read them).

Offer ends in approx. 18hrs.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And again today: http://www.bitsdujou...in=todays-deals-home

I've used Total Commander since it was Windows Commander 3.14 I think, and can't see myself switching fulltime, but thought this was such a good deal that I figured it's another valuable tool to keep in my software arsenal. Impressed, so far!

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 05:24 PM »

The link is here :

xplorer2 home page:

I own and have used many different of the top Explorer replacements, and always return to Xplorer2 as by far the best.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 08:03 AM »
@HankFriedman: Ditto. +1 from me.    :Thmbsup:

As I progressively discovered what xplorer² could actually do, those discoveries developed into "new" requirements for me. Now nothing else can actually meet those requirements nor replace xplorer², for me.
I'm stuck with xplorer².    :D
My now 7 y/o son likes it too, as well as my now nearly 16 y/o daughter.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 08:47 AM »
I have a license for xplorer2 as well, and use it as my second file manager beside TC :Thmbsup:. It's a shame there is never a discount for the lifetime upgrade protection, or I might have gotten that.