topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Resource Tuner 50% off on Bits Du Jour Today, June 10  (Read 7795 times)

pexplorer

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Heaventools Software
    • Donate to Member
Resource Tuner 50% off on Bits Du Jour Today, June 10
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:56 AM »
From Bits du Jour: Wednesday, June 10: Resource Tuner at half-price - Edit Your EXE and DLL Files! Resource Tuner is one of the most powerful, stable, and trustworthy tools out there for modifying resources in EXE and DLL files.

With an extremely intuitive workflow, Resource Tuner lets you view, extract, replace, edit, and delete the embedded resources of executable files: icons, strings, images, sounds, dialogs, menus... in other words, all the things that make up the visual parts of your Windows applications.

Today only $19.98 - Don't miss the sale!

Resource Tuner home page: http://www.heaventools.com/resource-tuner.htm
Yuri Rai
Heaventools Software
http://www.heaventools.com

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Resource Tuner 50% off on Bits Du Jour Today, June 10
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:08 PM »
For those of you who missed this deal:  You didn't miss much. I gave it a try, only to find that I'd given it a try once before. That alone should tell you how very impressed I was.  If you want to change the icon for a program, or the message in dialog boxes (ohboyohboyohboy), for a very few of your many applications, then you might enjoy Resource Tuner. If you want to do anything interesting - as I'm sure most folks who frequent this sight, being so techy and all - would want to do, you have to purchase the company's other program, PE.Explorer, at $129.00.

I could only get Resource Tuner to open one of my programs. Granted, I only tried to open six before giving up.  $19.98 is too much for it.  $9.98 is too much for it.  However, PE.Explorer looks to be interesting.

pexplorer

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Heaventools Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:27 PM »
PE Explorer is scheduled on Thu, 16 July 2009
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/pe-explorer/

I was often told that our software is not worth even $0.05. And that we should stop producing software. For whatever reason, resource editing software apparently isn't viewed as a necessity by a whole lot of people. One of life's mysteries. On the other hand, our customer base is surprisingly huge. Who are all those people?
Yuri Rai
Heaventools Software

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:04 PM »
Awesome reply pexplorer. Bravo. :Thmbsup:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:55 PM »
For whatever reason, resource editing software apparently isn't viewed as a necessity by a whole lot of people.

And there's the key - undoubtedly resource editing is not important to a lot of people.  And to those people something like Resource Tuner isn't interesting.  However, if you're someone who does find a need to edit resources, the situation is entirely different.

The same is true for any task X and tools to help do X.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 05:09 PM »
Who are all those people?

Well, me for one.
I'm not a programmer so there are major limits to what I can do even if I have and can open the source code. But I have been able to use Resource Tuner to change hard coded limits in a program I have. Very, very useful - and I wouldn't have been able to do it any other way. And none of the people who might have been able to do it in the code actually did (and someone has since told me he's not been able to get the source to compile). Haven't tried to do much with RT since (no time and no real need), but it's nice to know I can have a look at a few things if the need does arise.
It's enough to make me interested in PE, though realistically I know that the chances of me understanding enough to do anything at all with it are very slight which would make the cost prohibitive fot me even if the discount were massive.
I can see that RT wouldn't appeal to people who can code, like, it seems, most people here, but it was certainly a good discovery for me and I can see that PE might offer even more to people who could use it.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:51 PM »
How does Resource Tuner compare to the free program Resource Hacker (last updated in 2002, but still works). I don't need tools like these on a daily basis, but every once in a while I've used Resource Hacker to change dialogs, hard coded key accelerators and icons, and also done a bit of translating. Can be very useful for such purposes.

pexplorer

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Heaventools Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:24 PM »
Reshacker knows nothing about Vista and Seven ;)
In my biassed opinion, Resource Tuner is more robust and stable than Resource Hacker, opens and edits files that Resource Hacker chokes on, supports and visualizes more resource formats (eg PNG, HTML, XML and manifests), has built-in unpackers for UPX and Upack, the manifest wizard, etc. The upcoming v2 will handle 64-bit files and (hopefully) cover all your resource editing needs.
Ironically, Angus Johnson, author of Reshack, is a registered user of PE Explorer.
Yuri Rai
Heaventools Software

P.N

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 03:20 PM »
I was often told that our software is not worth even $0.05

that must depend on what category of people you ask, wouldnt it?

----
i bought resource tuner discounted from homepage & i am very pleased with it,
nothing wrong with reshack but i wanted something not so outdated and being under development,
i bought also an homelicense for flexhex but not discounted (context menu in 64bit vista doesnt work btw)
im not sure if im being able to reactivate that product either when switching over to win7 since hw-id?

oh well
but hey.. if the deal is good enuff on bdj i might be in for pe explorer as well.. i got a few items from that site lately so thanks for the early heads-up

heaventools support works fine in case somebody wonders, when purchased i messed up mailaddy and was fixed promptly..

pexplorer

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Heaventools Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 06:15 PM »
flexhex ... (context menu in 64bit vista doesnt work btw)
I'd appreciate it if you contact support about it - and please let us know if you run into any more issues.

im not sure if im being able to reactivate that product either when switching over to win7 since hw-id?
That shouldn't be a problem. But if there is a problem we will be on the case, just drop us an email.
Yuri Rai
Heaventools Software

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just thought I would mention that when I asked on the Piriform forum for a way to prevent the registry editing facilities of CCleaner to be part of the program (e.g. in an office install) .. the reply from a poster-moderator was a trick with Resource Hacker (and likely the other programs on this thread could do similar).

Thought that was pretty kewl.  Not sure the Piriform programmers were and legal beagles were so happy, if they noticed, however it definitely showed a techie mentality.

btw, the fact that a person is a "programmer" does not mean that they can work with 50 different languages and 500 different libraries and toolboxes.  You might have to spend weeks of study to change a dialog box :) .

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 07:46 PM by Steven Avery »

pexplorer

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Heaventools Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 01:58 PM »
but hey.. if the deal is good enuff on bdj i might be in for pe explorer as well.. i got a few items from that site lately so thanks for the early heads-up

You don't have to wait - see topic PE Explorer 50% OFF - DC Member Special
Yuri Rai
Heaventools Software