topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Game endings (no spoilers)  (Read 8878 times)

mnemonic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My website
    • Donate to Member
Game endings (no spoilers)
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Ok, so you slave away playing a game for countless days, destroying your social life and turning pale through a lack of sun.  And then you complete it, but your sense of achievement is destroyed by the most pathetic, pitiful ending ever.  Think Monkey Island 2, where you woke up and it was all a dream (sorry, that was a spoiler, but the game is ancient).

Anyway, how about a DC list of games that are worth playing for their great ending.

Your starter-for-ten: Portal (one of the funniest endings ever)

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
Re: Game endings (no spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:26 PM »
The Fallout endings were good because you had a hand in making them, if you took certain choices they would reflected in the epilogue which was neat.
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:28 PM »
Fallout 3 on the other hand had one of the most anti climatic endings ever. The fight leading up to the end was pretty good in my opinion tho
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 04:39 PM »
Game endings... why invest work in something people won't see or when they see it, they bought the game anyway. So, why bother? :)

My very first experience on a good game ending was in the first computer game I ever owned: Mastertronics "Human Race" on C64. As end sequence a starship appeared with some nice written congratulation text. Loved it.... incredible how much they put into 32 KB memory. Video: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=zw2dqAxSo3I

My worst game ending was also on a C64 and the game "Commando". The game was incredible difficult and all I got was a lousy "Congratulations! Mission Complete!" text. I was quite pissed. ;-) Video: http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=kcfKJGVwjzU (player seems to be cheating)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:56 PM by wr975 »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 04:40 PM »
For me the ending of 'Syndicate' (another ancient game) was the biggest letdown.

Who remembers still how the tube of a CRT television "dies" (especially black-and-white ones) when you turned it off? That is exactly how that game ends. Just a black screen with a fading white dot in the middle.

People that create games should be utterly ashamed for even entertaining the thought of such an ending!!!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 02:36 PM »
Defense Grid: The Awakening had a great ending. It was actually a very good game that really built up to a climax and I felt the final battle and the conclusion was worthwhile.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Ha ha, Shades I was just about to mention Syndicate myself. Definitely the worst game ending I've ever seen.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 04:03 PM »
Speaking of shitty endings, the ending of the first STALKER game was HORRIBLE. Even the "good" ending was pretty bad. But the bad ending (which BTW has no indication of being the bad ending) was so bad I just sat there with a expression like this :O for a good 5 minutes wondering what happened to the ending. It was only a week after that that I found out I got a "bad" ending. I replayed the ending of the game and found the real ending which was hidden away in a side room.
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

drum6789

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 09:50 AM »
The ending that I personally thought was horrible was Knights of the old republic 2.  I hated that ending.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Neverwinter Nights 2 ending killed my mood after playing it. I was just sitting thinking "WTF?".