topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: INfix: easy, capable, but expensive WordPad-like PDF editor  (Read 46173 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For some years I have been looking for an editor for my PDF collection, but so far I really haven't found the one to love. I've purchased a couple of the kind, but I get confused every time I try to use them! It is as if the authors were thinking that in order for their program to handle a Adobe product their program must also look like a Adobe product! But such interface is confusing to my micro soft brain! I've learned from childhood that an editor looks like NotePad, WordPad or Word. Period! So why the heck has the PDF business developed a quite different User's Interface?  :mad: 

Well, today I was informed by SnapFiles Pro that "Infix PDF Editor" was updated. I knew nothing about such program, so I read on, and was also told that the program is $99 for the Standard version and $299 for a PRO version!! I was wondering if I would bother to check out a program that I knew I cannot purchase ($99~$299 !?!), but curiosity killed the cat, didn't it, so now I am testing the bucker!

INfix does NOT look like a $100 program! My first impression was like "is that all, for $99??", because it really doesn't look like more than a WordPad. But that is exactly the very point! It is an editor that is totally familiar from the first second! If you ever have edited a Rich Text file you will immediately know how to use this editor! And this is what I love about it, it is sooo NOT confusing to me! Not because there are no features, on the contrary, INfix is VERY capable (see my second photo), but because it is well-known and all the features are hidden inside the menu, instead of the usual show-off chaos on the toolbars.

INfixApp.gif

Of course my second action was to open a PDF file. I managed to open one that had a typo in the first paragraph. I placed the cursor and edited, as if I was working in WordPad. For the very first time I feel totally certain how to edit a PDF file!  :up:

Compare with a few others (http://www.iceni.com...fix3_competition.htm):

INfix.gifINfix: easy, capable, but expensive WordPad-like PDF editor

The homepage has a very fine series of video manuals and instructions, Click on any of the listed features to see short Flash movies demonstrating their use.

INfix is not impressive to look at, but it really is very capable and totally easy. I am really looking forward to test it further for some time, and if I don't mind watermarks it seems I won't even have to purchase it!(?)

Did you ever use INfix??  :tellme:  Do you find it competitive at this asking price?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:55 PM by Curt »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: INfix: easy, capable, but expensive WordPad-like PDF editor
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Hey Curt - thanks for the pointer. This looks quite interesting, even if $99 is a bit more than I can justify for PDF editing (I don't have too much need, so the various PDF printers are pretty much good enough for me).  However, I might keep an eye out for if it ever goes on discount somewhere...

And by the way Curt, it looks like with just a little bit more you could turn this into a very nice mini-review.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:34 PM »
with just a little bit more you could turn this into a very nice mini-review.

I was aware of this but I was so excited with INfix that I couldn't wait for proper testing before I posted  ;)

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 06:48 PM »
I haven't tried it and don't know if the interface would please you, but PagePlus X2 (older version of PagePlus) seems to be able to edit PDF's and is available for $20:

"Improved PDF Import - PagePlus X2 improves on the already impressive PDF Import feature first added in PagePlus 11. This amazing functionality - still unique in any DTP product at any price has been enhanced even further so that your PDFs will import more accurately than ever. PagePlus X2 will now import embedded fonts from your original PDF, even if you don't have them installed, so you can be confident that your design will closely match the original - and you can still edit PDFs with more flexibility than in any other application!"

The product doesn't seem to be on Serif's website any longer (replaced by X3), but I can provide a link to an order form that's prefilled with my name and address. Presumably you could just replace with your own info. (I'm not an affiliate or anything; I just have a saved email from a while back).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31 AM »
PagePlus X2 is still listed at £49.99 at their homepage, so $20 is a very fine price, I would say.  :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:21 AM »
... I can provide a link to an order form (for X2) that's prefilled with my name and address. Presumably you could just replace with your own info. (I'm not an affiliate or anything; I just have a saved email from a while back).

- nope!

Dear Curt

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please note that the e-mail offers we send to our registered customer are intended for their use only and are not meant to be passed or forwarded on to any other individual. In this instance, the offer you have applied for expired in March and as such it is no longer possible, even for our registered customers to purchase the programme at that price.

The e-mail links contained within the e-mail relate specifically to the customer and his/her account. As such, when placing an order using the links contained within the -mail, the order will automatically be placed under their account.

To avoid confusion, I have since cancelled this order and would advise that you register yourself as a Serif customer, subscribe to the e-mail offers so you can also receive offers similar to your friend.
-Serif X2 sales manager

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15 PM »
You can mess around with pdfs using Infranview.

Ghostscript needs installed first though.
As far as I can tell in 5 minutes, annotating works fine.
But actual editing may not be possible. I don't know.
I haven't tried yet.
Infran will open a pdf with Ghostscript installed.
So it could be possible to edit.
Ghostscript-

http://sourceforge.n...mp;release_id=658337

Other then that it's a pdf printer or converter, to edit.
Then convert it to pdf, a lot of work.
For free pdf work anyway.

Here's Serif page plus 8 for free if it still works.

http://for-free-on-i...mercial-licence-key/

I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but free is worth a shot....

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Serif PagePlus PDF 8 is a "funny" program. It is for desktop publishing, and you may save your job as a pdf file - hence the program's name. However, you cannot use PagePlus to edit or even to open a pdf file, as the only supported extensions are ppp, ppl and ppx!!

Download-lack-of-speed for 96½ MB setup file: 16.48 KB/s = 1:46 hour!   :down:

---

I have Ghostscript, and it was kind of funny to open a pdf file with IrfanView - I never would have thought of such combination.  I just don't need an editor, but the right one. INfix could be that one, if I somehow can get it a *LOT* cheaper than the listed $99/$299.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 05:27 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:16 PM »
I should tell that SWREG/DigitalRiver right is offering PDF-XChange 4 Pro for $55 to their customers, compared to the listed $74. I have tested it, but 'something' was not working well in my setup - I have forgotten what it was.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Since you are checking your options-

http://www.nitropdf....ssional/edit-pdf.htm

There is a lot in Nitro.

Sorry serif wasn't what it needed to be.
I'll look into it myself as well.
And see why you can't save as pdf.
Sounds stupid for a pdf program.

I'll post if i find something.

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 06:29 PM »
I am surprised that noone has mentionned OpenOffice which has a PDF import plugin:
http://extensions.se...rg/project/pdfimport
Indeed it is not a NATIVE PDF editor, but it does work and has PDF export, and is FREE.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 06:32 PM »
I am surprised that noone has mentionned OpenOffice

- you really shouldn't be surprised, because this thread is about a pdf EDITOR.

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:45 PM »
well, I then agree that Infix is a nice intuitive one

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Funny, serif 8 is a pdf publisher, yet it can't even read a pdf! And certainly if it won't read a pdf it can't edit it.

Strange....

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 12:34 AM »
I don't think adobe acrobat can do things Infix does. At least not as easily.
How's the rendering quality (and speed) of nitro and Infix
Can they be used as day-to-day pdf readers (with some nice editing properties)?
Maybe someone should review them and update the pdf reader quality thread?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 06:55 AM »
Can they be used as day-to-day pdf readers

- no, at least not INfix, as it loads much too slowly.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 07:24 AM »
I was thinking about telling you how Infix is to use, but I have found my English vocabulary to be too tiny. But one thing I can tell you is, that I now have a license  and it was *GIVEN* to me by the author!
 :Thmbsup:

I have edited a couple of PDF files just for the fun of it. I really enjoy the WordPad-ish editing. A simple "-" will make long words break, and such. I don't know about the price, I think it is remarkable high (for an income like mine), but if you can afford it  I will certainly recommend Infix for PDF editing.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 07:41 AM »
... if you can afford it  I will certainly recommend Infix for PDF editing.

Let me stress out that I recommend Infix for EDITING
- I have not yet tried to use it for the initial document creating.

And I don't recommend Infix for the daily PDF viewing!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 09:02 AM »
I'm late to the party - congratulations on your licence for Infix, Curt  :Thmbsup: - but just wanted to note that Serif PagePlus has always been first and foremost a desktop publishing app. The placement of pdf in the programme name refers to its ability to IMPORT pdfs so that some or all of its content can be included in a project and to SAVE/EXPORT projects in pdf format. It's in no way meant as a pdf editor...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 08:03 AM »
@Curt:  Does InFix have search-and-replace in much the same form as you'd find in any editor?

And, please, does anyone know if PagePlus X3 has search-and-replace?  I e-mailed Serif's customer service, who said No, but I'm not sure we were quite on the same wavelength (they mentioned databases and mailmerge in their reply).

Hmmm...  any chance of a DC discount on InFix?  Might help their mind-share as well as my wallet.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I don't know what Adobe it$elf can do, but I have never come across a pdf editor that could handle a pdf file as if it was one big text file. Nor can Infix; it will find & replace within the selected text on the one actual page, only.

X3 and "the others" are, like Mike said, desktop publishers, only, not pdf text editors.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 08:39 AM »
rjbull - don't forget, what PagePlus will do is import the contents of a pdf and manipulate it as a ppp file. Once  you're done, you need to export it as a pdf again. I'll take a look to see if it has search and replace, but I have to warn you that I've found pdf import/editing cludgy with PP...

I'll report back soon  :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Yup - PagePlus X3 will search and replace (ctrl-H) within the text of a pdf file (provided the text is not part of an image). X3 does offer to open pdf's by default (ie pdfs are listed as PagePlus files in the Open dialogue) but once a pdf is selected to be opened, it is imported as mentioned above. To save as a pdf you have to select "Publish as PDF" from the File menu.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 08:50 AM »
- the entire document in a single search??? Or page per page, like Infix?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 08:57 AM »
PS PagePlus will search and replace text on every page of the file, if you ask it to... However, once you're at this point, you are searching the text of the temporary ppp file, not the pdf. Nuance PDF Converter Professional 5, on the other hand, will search for text over the entire document but doesn't seem to offer a batch replace feature. The search feature returns a list of linked occurrences of the text and you need to replace each occurrence individually. I *may* be wrong about this, but if there is a more robust/convenient "search and replace" feature it's very well hidden  ;D

@Curt - PagePlus will search and replace the entire document in a single search. PDF Converter Pro will search the entire document in a single search.