topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Best Of: text editors  (Read 136739 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Best Of: text editors
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2011, 07:38 AM »
Does anyone know a decent WYSIWYG/WYSIWYM MediaWiki editor?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2011, 09:00 AM »
I hope its okay to updtae the thread as things have, moved on a bit in xml, take a look at Liquid XML Editor which is a fairly new entrant but very well built, just look at its fancy graphical interface.
Hi,

I have noticed that out of 5 posts you did on DC, 4 of them are about the same software. Also, your post is very out of the scope of this thread.
So, as per the rules of the forum, if you are affiliated with the software, please clearly say so.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2013, 02:56 AM »
Edi - Text Editor (PC) on Bits du Jour, Friday 25 January 2013 at $15 instead of $30

http://www.bitsdujou...ware/edi-text-editor
http://www.edi-texte...or.com/en/index.html

edi_text_editor.gif

Edi stores Documents in its own format (*.edi) and in the following document formats:
    Microsoft Word 2007 Document (*.docx)
    Microsoft Word 97-2003 Document (*.doc)
    OpenOffice OpenDocument (*.odt)
    Electronic Publication (*.epub)
    Web Archive (*.mht)
    Rich Text Format (*.rtf)
    HTML Format (*.htm; *.html)
Additionally Edi can save document content to PDF file and even send it per email using an external email program.

All stored documents are maintained in the document history. The search engine finds document by its name, description or storage location.

Current version: 1.2.2 from November 1st, 2012
There is only one Hybrid-Installer for Windows 32/64 bit and English/German user interface.
Edi needs .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and MS SQL Server CE 4 to work

print_document.gif

homepage: http://www.edi-texte...or.com/en/index.html

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2013, 03:23 AM »
Interesting -- reminds me a bit of mouser's The Form Letter Machine.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Edi - Text Editor (PC) on Bits du Jour, Friday 25 January 2013 at $15 instead of $30

From the page, that's for lifetime updates also.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55 AM »
that's for lifetime updates also.

At the risk of sounding cynical: Warning! Warning! Warning!

I've pretty much given up on believing in "lifetime" licenses. Not that it matters all that much in my case. If I see something I want in an upgrade, I usually have no objection to paying for it - as long as it's not just to get a bug fixed.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Edi has some cool features.  May be worth getting...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2013, 10:58 AM »
that's for lifetime updates also.

At the risk of sounding cynical: Warning! Warning! Warning!

I've pretty much given up on believing in "lifetime" licenses. Not that it matters all that much in my case. If I see something I want in an upgrade, I usually have no objection to paying for it - as long as it's not just to get a bug fixed.

I think it's a per developer thing.  I still have quite a few things that I get updates for regularly that I've only paid once for.  There are fewer and fewer, but they are still there.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2013, 11:54 AM »

From the page, that's for lifetime updates also.
Just fyi, it's not lifetime anything really.  no major deal there as far as I'm concerned.

You're right Danny. All updates are for free but major upgrades can be charged. The same as with Windows versions. For Win7 you pay only once the whole price. The next major release - Win8 - you buy for the upgrade price only.
So when they come up with a new version in a few months, you will have to pay for it.  Again, all these software guys love to throw in the word "lifetime", and they love to play games with minor/major words and update/upGRADE, etc.  Point is, as 40hz says, hardly any companies are going to do real lifetime anything anymore.  It really doesn't make much business sense.  But if they do...hooray for us!

What annoys me is they talk as if even lifetime updates are a big deal, when it's not.  Who cares?  Don't even mention it.  They talk as if most software actually stops working after a certain period of time when the license runs out.  Ridiculous.  Can you imagine?  You're using a text editor, and all of a sudden the installed version you have just stops working until you pay again?!  Nobody would ever buy that again!  Yes, thank you for being so generous as to allow me to use an old version forever, how kind and unique of you.  The only software I know of that works like that is very expensive, custom enterprise software.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Can you imagine?  You're using a text editor, and all of a sudden the installed version you have just stops working until you pay again?!  Nobody would ever buy that again!  Yes, thank you for being so generous as to allow me to use an old version forever, how kind and unique of you.  The only software I know of that works like that is very expensive, custom enterprise software.

No, not true.  It does happen with other software- especially subscription based software services.  But yeah, they play games with terminology.

But in this case, they're directly going against what their website says, i.e.

Is Edi freeware?
No, but the offer is fair - you may test Edi for 30 days free of charge and without any obligation. If you like it, you can buy it. You pay only once. The price includes lifetime updates for free. Edi is great value for money.

(Emphasis mine) That's the only reason that I mentioned it, because it was featured so prominently on the site.  So shame on them.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2013, 12:53 PM »
 :-\

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2013, 01:01 PM »
^Please don't take what I said earlier as a knock on Edi. I grabbed a trial copy and it's a very nice editor. I just didn't see anything in it that made me want (so far) to buy yet another text editor. If I were going to do that right now I probably be more likely to spring for one of Blumentals Solutions products like their PHPEditor  or WeBuilder since those are purpose built editors for web development and I really don't need another general purpose one. Especially since I own a half dozen already.

The only reason I said "warning" about "lifetime upgrade" is because usually one of two things happen when you believe in them too much: (a) the company changes its rules or definition and doesn't honor what most people think of when they hear "lifetime free upgrades"; or (b) the company does attempt to honor it - and eventually goes out of business leaving you with an orphan product.

Neither outcome is helpful. So like SB, I have to say: yeah - we're better off not even taking that sort of thing into consideration.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2013, 02:36 PM »
I hear you. :)  And I'd try Jetbrains... I love it!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2013, 04:02 PM »
Interesting -- reminds me a bit of mouser's The Form Letter Machine.

^yes, you're right. I should of course from the beginning have quoted the following:

1. Document Templates
During work with a text editor an inexperienced user may have difficulties with things such as page layout, text and paragraph formatting etc...

Edi uses an innovative template system with text variables. A power user defines document layout and places variables in it. Then the document is stored. When the end user opens the document an input dialog is shown asking only for variable values. As a result a new document is created containing the new values and maintaining layout of the original document - template.

You could ask - what is the deal? Other programs like Microsoft Word or OpenOffice TextEditor also support templates.
The answer is yes, but not as easy as Edi does.
-Edi

listed key features:

2013-01-24_225628.gif

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27 PM »
If I were going to do that right now I probably be more likely to spring for one of Blumentals Solutions products like their PHPEditor  or WeBuilder

OO!!  One of the very few editors with ftp access built in.  Very tempting just for that.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2013, 04:48 PM »
There's a few of those out there... the Jetbrains ones have it, in addition (just off the top of my head from my 'collection') EditPlus, Komodo Edit, Aptana, Notepad++ (with plugin), PSPad, Crimson Editor, Caditor, Boxer... and I'm sure a lot more; that's just off the top of my head from the ones I've used.  Not to say anything about the Blumentals editors- just that you have a few options if you're looking for that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2013, 05:57 PM »
And I'd try Jetbrains... I love it!

I've used a copy of their PyCharm (a friend of mine uses it for work) and liked it very much. Probably would have bought my own copy if I were doing a lot with Python. But for the levels I code at it would be massive overkill.
 ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2013, 06:21 PM »
For the level I code Javascript at, it's overkill for me.  But my addiction to editors overcame my good sense :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56 AM »
OO!!  One of the very few editors with ftp access built in.  Very tempting just for that.
I see that as a kind of anti-feature, aimed at disorganized PHP developers :)
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2013, 07:39 AM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56 AM »
OO!!  One of the very few editors with ftp access built in.  Very tempting just for that.

LOL! That was cold! ;D Likely true. :Thmbsup: But still cold. ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2013, 08:58 AM »

And disorganized Javascript developers :)
* wraith808 raises hand

In my defense... I'm not a web developer!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2013, 11:46 AM »
Well, sorry.

But once you've seen enough people that directly edit their scripts webpages on production servers, don't have any VCS, and only occasionally do backups in zipfiles (with no coherent naming schemes...), you kinda start to disapprove of built-in ftp support :)
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59 PM »
OO!!  One of the very few editors with ftp access built in.  Very tempting just for that.
Well, sorry.

But once you've seen enough people that directly edit their scripts webpages on production servers, don't have any VCS, and only occasionally do backups in zipfiles (with no coherent naming schemes...), you kinda start to disapprove of built-in ftp support :)

No need to apologize over that observation. ;D :Thmbsup:

Not that I can really blame the pHp crowd. Just like you can't be a good employee if you're working for a bad company - you can't become an elegant programmer if you're working with something like pHp. At least from my experience with it. pHp is easily the least elegant of any computer language I've ever seen. And I've worked with COBOL, Basic, and APL so I know ugly when I see it. But in this case, it's more than just the syntax. It's the whole design of the thing (or possibly lack thereof) that makes me want to scream every time I see a listing of pHp code. It's brought the concept of 'quick & dirty' and 'fix it later' programming to a whole new level AFAIC. ;)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:05 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2013, 01:09 PM »
Not that I can really blame the pHp crowd. Just like you can't be a good employee if you're working for a bad company - you can't become an elegant programmer if you're working with something like pHp. At least from my experience with it. pHp is easily the least elegant of any computer language I've ever seen. And I've worked with COBOL, Basic, and APL so I know ugly when I see it. But in this case, it's more than just the syntax. It's the whole design of the thing (or possibly lack thereof) that makes me want to scream every time I see a listing of pHp code. It's brought the concept of 'quick & dirty' and 'fix it later' programming to a whole new level AFAIC.

Oh, I think you *can* with anything- but that's just my observation.  It's less likely, and if you aren't intent on it, it definitely won't happen.