topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: dvd burner crisis  (Read 27022 times)

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
dvd burner crisis
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:03 AM »
hello DC
This morning i decided to catch up on my DVD Archiving.. and got a huge surprise, Nero erred out on me.. so i switched to CDBurnerXP.
erred out again..

the burner still reads fine, and it was burning fine the last time i used it.. couple of months ago. 

unfortunately I've installed/removed tons of software lately including intel chipset driver updates. which i tried downgrading.
I've wasted 20 DVDs trying to find the solution.
Is there a better way to test if i fixed the problem without wasting DVDs and hence cash?
I tried googling the error and found a similar problem that was related to the chipset drivers, but couldn't find much else....
anyway attached is my sys info and a cap of the error from CDBurnerXP, please please help me get this up and going.. i can't afford a new burner, and really want to avoid a format/reinstall. as my backup is corrupted, drives are near full. i tried the one restore point i had and that was corrupt to... :(

i am willing to pay if need be, also i have crossloop fyi.
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: dvd burner crisis
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:34 AM »
You may need to reflash your drive's firmware. I've run into similar problems with SONY drives, and a reflash cured the problem.

A good source for firmware is this website: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com

I suspect the drive manufacturers are starting to sneak DRM into their firmware updates, so the rule of thumb is NOT to update any firmware as long as the drive is working correctly. Also be careful when upgrading the software (i.e. Nero, etc.) that came with your drive for the same reason. I've seen burning software suddenly refuse to copy certain things after an upgrade.

Luck :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:36 AM by 40hz »

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:09 AM »
i have never flashed the drive. do you really think I should really try that to solve this problem? :tellme:
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:36 AM »
Well, it's one thing to try...and it did cure the problem for me.

But let's see what else we can suggest:

The problem may be with your mobo drivers. Assuming your drive is on the secondary IDE channel:

1. Check your secondary IDE channel in the Device Manager. Transfer Mode should read "DMA if Available." If it doesn't, try switching it and see if that fixes things.

2. If it doesn't, first try to rollback the driver and reboot.

3. If that doesn't fix it, try uninstalling the secondary IDE Channel in Device Manager and then rebooting. Windows should reinstall the correct driver when it starts up.

Hopefully one of the above will straighten things out.

Let me know how you made out. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:59 AM »
dvd burners are cheap enough that at a certain point you may want to cut your losses and just buy a new dvd burner.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:59 AM »
It could also be normal wear-and-tear of the drive, even if you haven't burned much with it.

Btw, if you have relatively basic burning needs, I would recommend ImgBurn - nero is bloated junk.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 01:21 PM »
dvd burners are cheap enough that at a certain point you may want to cut your losses and just buy a new dvd burner.

Ahhhh... the Geek Squad Solution: just buy a new one! ;D

But there's also some genuine wisdom in that approach:

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit; there's no use being a damn fool about it.--Mark Twain

-----

Btw, if you have relatively basic burning needs, I would recommend ImgBurn - nero is bloated junk.

+1 on ImgBurn. Excellent app. :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 01:22 PM by 40hz »

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:56 PM »
Try to isolate whether the issue is with:

1. Your media - try another DVD brand or image with Nero but at a slower speed to match the rating on your DVD media.

2. Your Nero burning software - try Imgburn or Infrarecorder.  If those work then you can use those OR try to reinstall Nero.  I see you've tried CDBurnerXP but others are worth a shot.

3. If the 1 & 2 above  have been eliminated then, the DVD drivers is next.  Check your computer manufacturer's website or maybe your machine has a "applications and driver" cd that you can reinstall the DVD drivers.

4. Previous Windows restore point?

5. Do an image restore from your image backup OR reinstall?

I would try first slowing down the burn speed to match the rated speed of your DVD media rather than using the optimum or maximum setting on the burning software.

I recently purchased a new Acer laptop which I immediately had to get repaired since the touchpad was erring out.  But at that point I was able to use DVD to create image backups.  Acer fixed the touchpad issue by replacing the motherboard.

But when I got my machine back, and tried to create new drive images, it was showing errors specifically on validation.  Spent about 10 DVDs that are now coasters.  The errors were occurring when I use Acer's image utility, Windows owen image utility, and my 3rd party image utility software.  So I was almost convinced it was DVD driver / firmware not compatible with new replacement motherboard.

So as a last resort, I slowed down the burn speed since the bulk DVDs I got handed down was about 4 years old.  So far I've been able to image and validate using DVDs several times.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:38 PM »
A few weeks ago my DVD-ROM refused to read a DVD. The machine is two and a half years old and both the DVD-ROM and DVD-R/W drives (Sony) were current with firmware. I was able to get the DVD-ROM drive going again by cleaning the laser as well as I could but it subsequently became intermittent with its read ability. I just decided to replace both rather than spend any more time on it. I got two Lite-On drives at Newegg - one for $17 and the other for $22. Now I can't believe I even spent the little amount amount of time on the old ones that I did! Replacement is extraordinarily simple and they work great.

Believe me, it's not worth the effort of troubleshooting older drives - that is if they are two years old or more.

Jim

PS - I thought I would mention here that I accidentally purchased the wrong connection type for the DVD-ROM drive at first. I looked at one Lite-On and then a few others. When I placed the Lite-On in my cart I failed to notice that the IDE and SATA drives had almost exactly the same model number - they are one character off - and though my drives are both SATA I got the IDE DVD-ROM drive.   :( Not to fear, though. I called Newegg so I could return it for an exchange and was told cheerfully that they do not exchange items but they would issue a refund/credit to my card account and I could then order the correct one. When she saw the price of the wrong drive ($17) she told me to just keep it! Not worth the cost (to ME!!) of shipping it back. What a deal!! Kudos to Newegg!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 02:34 AM »
When she saw the price of the wrong drive ($17) she told me to just keep it! Not worth the cost (to ME!!) of shipping it back. What a deal!! Kudos to Newegg!

Great story, Jim - thank you for sharing it with us  :Thmbsup:

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 03:19 AM »
How about this...

My LG DVD writer suddenly starting rebooting the PC when a disk was inserted! My IT friend tried everything - new cable etc...  It doesn't work in his Grandsons PC either!

Then he tested it in his PC - no problem? :huh:

I've been forced to order a new Lite On (antsy about LG now)...

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 09:00 AM »
I think its definately a software issue.. just a feeling I have. Looking for a disc with my live linux on it, hopefully it should let me try and burn a DVD, if it works there I know its a s/w prob and can do more to try and defeat it! I'm afraid of buying a new drive and STILL having to find the problem.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 12:17 PM »
What makes you think it's a software problem?

Use ImgBurn and check tools->Filter Driver Load Order. That will let you see filter drivers attached to the CDROM class... if there's nothing suspicious there, it's most likely not a software issue.
- carpe noctem

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 05:28 AM »
What makes you think it's a software problem?

Use ImgBurn and check tools->Filter Driver Load Order. That will let you see filter drivers attached to the CDROM class... if there's nothing suspicious there, it's most likely not a software issue.

well i thought it may be a s/w issue because a) the drive still reads b) i updated the chipset drivers in between the last working burn and this problem.  c) hope.
I am starting to believe that the drive is just dead though... I can't find my live CD to test it under there. and  after flashing the drive ImgBurn gave me this:

ImgBurn
---------------------------
DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed!
Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A 1.04 (G:) (ATA)
Unable to lock volume for exclusive access.
Reason: Access is denied.
Hint: You've got another program running that's using the drive, close it and then click 'Try Again'.
though nothing else was running nor should have been using the drive, so i told imgburn to ignore exclusive access in the settings and it gave me :
0:23:55 Source File Volume Identifier: 20070518
I 10:23:55 Source File Application Identifier: PCLinuxOS release (PCLinuxOS) for Live CD
I 10:23:55 Source File File System(s): ISO9660 (Bootable), Joliet
I 10:23:55 Destination Device: [0:0:0] Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A 1.04 (G:) (ATA)
I 10:23:55 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AM3) (Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)
I 10:23:55 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888
I 10:23:55 Write Mode: DVD
I 10:23:55 Write Type: DAO
I 10:23:55 Write Speed: MAX
I 10:23:55 Link Size: Auto
I 10:23:55 Test Mode: No
I 10:23:55 OPC: No
I 10:23:55 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 10:23:56 Filling Buffer... (40 MB)
I 10:23:57 Writing LeadIn...
W 10:24:35 Failed to Write Sectors 32 - 63 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Retrying (1 of 20)...
I 10:24:35 Writing LeadIn...
W 10:24:35 Failed to Write Sectors 64 - 95 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Retry Failed - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Retrying (2 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Retry Failed - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Retrying (3 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Failed to Write Sectors 128 - 159 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Failed to Write Sectors 160 - 191 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Retrying (4 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Retrying (5 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Failed to Write Sectors 192 - 223 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Failed to Write Sectors 224 - 255 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Retrying (4 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Retrying (5 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Retrying (6 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Retrying (7 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Retrying (8 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Retrying (9 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Retrying (10 of 20)...
W 10:24:35 Failed to Write Sectors 256 - 287 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:24:35 Failed to Write Sectors 288 - 319 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
etc etc etc...
i looked @tools->Filter Driver Load Order and it looked OK to me, so i guess I'm going to save up for a new drive. are lite on good?

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 05:32 AM »
i ran the IntelĀ® Chipset Identification Utility and updated the drivers there too... so i guess it is a dead drive.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 05:32 AM »
Hm, sounds weird.

Is your burner the single drive on the IDE cable? Have you tried replacing the IDE cable? (Or at least making sure it's 100% socketed). Things like that can cause errors - I had some really wacky hard drive problems because of flawed cables once.

Anyway, burners are cheap. I've had OK experience with LiteOn - they're not super++ but they're not bad either, and should cover normal demands just fine. I haven't upgraded burner for a while though, so I'd definitely read up on reviews - which I might hav to do soon, since my current drive is acting up :)
- carpe noctem

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 05:36 AM »
no.. i haven't checked cables... until i can get a hand due to disability. that's another reason i was clinging to it being s/w.

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 07:59 AM »
thinking of getting this drive as a replacement. Anyone here anything about it? I've been told plextors are one of the best, is that still true?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 09:32 AM »
I used Plextor for years and years.  IIR they were bought out a year or so back.  The one comment, towards the foot of that page, doesn't fill one with confidence.  At the very least I'd check a few other sites for reviews.   

FWIW I have had problems with some Plextor models.  That said, I do have trouble-free Plextors in a couple of older machines plus Lite-ON (not the best drive ever but reliable) in one and a couple of dirt-cheap LG GH22NS30 drives in my current machine which have given no problems.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 11:55 AM »
My old PX-716A was a very good drive, but I've heard that today plextors aren't much better than, say, Lite-On - and definitely not worth the premium.
- carpe noctem

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 03:33 AM »
Burners are not cheap here as we have to times any dollar price by 10! Around R300+ is not 'cheap'. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 08:35 AM »
Burners are not cheap here as we have to times any dollar price by 10! Around R300+ is not 'cheap'. :)
Yeah, but someone has to pay for all that sunshine!

;)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 10:15 AM »
To replace a dvd drive would be as much work as checking the connections.

Here's an external dvd burner to consider.

http://www.tigerdire...ls.asp?EdpNo=4442292

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 12:58 PM »
thinking of getting this drive as a replacement. Anyone here anything about it? I've been told plextors are one of the best, is that still true?

Absolutely not. Plextor does not even make their own drives nowadays, and they're mere rebadged models by other companies (LG IIRC). Apparently Plextor could not compete cost-wise against all the big competitors, and so decided to stop manufacturing their own units. Quite typical in this times, as every other burner is designed and produced by a joint venture of at least two companies (ASUS & Pioneer, NEC & Sony, etc.). Seems like that's not enough for them to offer competitive prices, anyway, I suppose they have to keep the "better-than-the-rest" myth alive.

So, get anything you fancy. The technology used by DVD burners has advanced to the point that all companies are offering good enough units as to not consider brands when buying one. That said, some offer advantages over others that come in handy, like dealing with almost all copy-protection schemes, faster speeds with CD audio extraction or better results with *-RW discs (that's something almost no company still gets right). Pioneer has garnered a good reputation during the last few years, and Lite-On is not half-bad as well.

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 07:50 PM »
well I've researched the hell outta that drive and found out it is actually a good drive and the added plexutils are reliable and will work for my needs, I've also found better bang for my buck with other drives. however one of the associates I have done business in the past actually has this model and has offered it to me for $25, new still in the box with warranties intact. So I think at that price I'm gonna give plex a try.