ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

dvd burner crisis

<< < (4/8) > >>

f0dder:
Hm, sounds weird.

Is your burner the single drive on the IDE cable? Have you tried replacing the IDE cable? (Or at least making sure it's 100% socketed). Things like that can cause errors - I had some really wacky hard drive problems because of flawed cables once.

Anyway, burners are cheap. I've had OK experience with LiteOn - they're not super++ but they're not bad either, and should cover normal demands just fine. I haven't upgraded burner for a while though, so I'd definitely read up on reviews - which I might hav to do soon, since my current drive is acting up :)

PaladinMJ:
no.. i haven't checked cables... until i can get a hand due to disability. that's another reason i was clinging to it being s/w.

PaladinMJ:
thinking of getting this drive as a replacement. Anyone here anything about it? I've been told plextors are one of the best, is that still true?

cranioscopical:
I used Plextor for years and years.  IIR they were bought out a year or so back.  The one comment, towards the foot of that page, doesn't fill one with confidence.  At the very least I'd check a few other sites for reviews.   

FWIW I have had problems with some Plextor models.  That said, I do have trouble-free Plextors in a couple of older machines plus Lite-ON (not the best drive ever but reliable) in one and a couple of dirt-cheap LG GH22NS30 drives in my current machine which have given no problems.

f0dder:
My old PX-716A was a very good drive, but I've heard that today plextors aren't much better than, say, Lite-On - and definitely not worth the premium.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version