topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: 1 computer 2 mice-2 pointers-seperate button programming  (Read 10436 times)

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why you ask. Good question.

I do a lot of audio and video editing. There are a lot of third party hardware/software add-ons to control the software. Most are a group of buttons/wheels that connect via USB and then you set up macros to control the buttons/wheels.

Well why not use that extra/broken mouse? The only problem is that Windows will recognize the mouse but it is used just like the mouse that is already connected.

I have found a few programs on the net that allow two mice and two cursors. These programs will not allow you to program the buttons on the second mouse for a different purpose than what the first mouse buttons are used for.

Soooooo....there you have it.

Thanks,
Larry

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: 1 computer 2 mice-2 pointers-seperate button programming
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:26 AM »
what programmes did you try?

did you do a search here :) ... from "Drawing with 2 mice"
Came across this software, free for educational/personal use, which allows multiple mice use, which looks interesting for class room use.
It doesn't allow the multiple mice to be actually in use at the same time ... whoever left clicked last has control.
I tried a 2 handed paint shop pro drawing session... it worked ...maybe an "ambidexter" might find it useful.

TeamPlayer 2.0 Multi User beta
TeamPlayer 2.0 is the first commercial solution for working together on the same computer. Simply connect extra mice and keyboards to your usb ports, install the software and multiple cursors will appear on your screen.

Everyone works on one screen
WunderWorks' TeamPlayer allows you to work with 2 or more people on the same Windows PC at the same time.

For Business, Education or Home use
Work through your spreadsheets together, involve your students or just have fun with your kids. TeamPlayer turns any Personal Computer into a Group Computer. It's generic, so just click on an application and take control. Share your ideas knowledge or expertise with the others in the group.

Works with all standard input devices
Just hook up your mice and keyboards, add a digital whiteboard or tablets and start your group session.

http://www.wunderworks.com/public/home.aspx

it's free for personal use, very expensive otherwise ;)
Tom

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:23 AM »
did you do a search here... from "Drawing with 2 mice"

Hey tomos,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did try that program TeamPlayer. The problem with all the programs I found, free or pay, did not allow you to map the buttons on the mice different from each other. This is the most important part of this conundrum. The mice's firmware announce that they are a "mouse" and therefor load mouse drivers. If it were a "new" piece of hardware, windows would ask for the drivers that control the hardware and that is where you would normally find the controls for the new hardware.

I am looking for software that would allow me to map the buttons of each mouse connected to the computer individually.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:25 AM by wetsmellydog »

r0bertdenir0

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Hey I'm ambidextrous so I'd luv 2 independent mice! :Thmbsup:
But tracking 2 cursors moving independently wud leave us cross-eyed eventually I guess... ;)
Well a standard mouse has 3 buttons, 5 if you include WheelUp & WheelDown.
If you then get a mouse with the side buttons that AHK treats as XButton1 & 2, that gives you 7 buttons!
AHK then lets you use the & operator to create combination hotkeys such as MButton & WheelDown.
If my math is correct that gives you 49 possible combinations, plus 7 individual keys so you cud program 56 actions on a 5 button mouse.
Of course you can't always use all 56 because using say LButton in a combo hotkey wud affect yr ability to drag items sometimes.
But I think that wud still leave you with more than 20 key combos.

But if you're gonna use 2 mice - I'm assuming 1 in each hand - then yr other hand cud just as easily operate the keyboard 2 press a modifier key so you can do Ctrl+Lbutton or even F1+Wheelup....

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Hey I'm ambidextrous so I'd luv 2 independent mice! :Thmbsup:
But tracking 2 cursors moving independently wud leave us cross-eyed eventually I guess... ;)
Well a standard mouse has 3 buttons, 5 if you include WheelUp & WheelDown.
If you then get a mouse with the side buttons that AHK treats as XButton1 & 2, that gives you 7 buttons!
AHK then lets you use the & operator to create combination hotkeys such as MButton & WheelDown.
If my math is correct that gives you 49 possible combinations, plus 7 individual keys so you cud program 56 actions on a 5 button mouse.
Of course you can't always use all 56 because using say LButton in a combo hotkey wud affect yr ability to drag items sometimes.
But I think that wud still leave you with more than 20 key combos.

But if you're gonna use 2 mice - I'm assuming 1 in each hand - then yr other hand cud just as easily operate the keyboard 2 press a modifier key so you can do Ctrl+Lbutton or even F1+Wheelup....

-r0bertdenir0 (April 30, 2009, 07:03 PM)

So where is the "simple" Map Your Mouse AHK program?  :D

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 09:21 PM »
Maybe set one up as a game controler.
Not sure if that would work.
But that would separate the two settings.
Wouldn't it?
Depends if windows can see it as a game controler.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:52 PM »
This autohotkey thread is relevant to the topic here I think: http://www.autohotke...orum/topic41397.html