topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 765998 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #725 on: June 19, 2015, 09:02 PM »
One wonders how useful it would be since the versions of jQuery, etc it intercepts calls for lags behind the current implentation versions by ~2 years.

Version 1.0.7.1-signed Released February 26, 2013 5.6 MB Works with Firefox 4.0 and later

Added jQuery 1.7.2, 1.8.0, 1.8.1, 1.8.2, 1.8.3
    Added jQuery UI 1.8.17, 1.8.18, 1.8.19, 1.8.20, 1.8.21, 1.8.22, 1.8.23, 1.8.24, 1.9.0, 1.9.1, 1.9.2
    Added Moo Tools 1.4.2, 1.4.3, 1.4.4, 1.4.5
    Added Prototype 1.7.1.0
    Removed dojo and Webfont (blame addons.mozilla.org's validator)

eg. Current jQuery version is 2.1.3

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #726 on: June 19, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Seems as though getlocalload is something of a damp squib. Doesn't even install, though it says it has. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #727 on: June 19, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Seems as though getlocalload is something of a damp squib. Doesn't even install, though it says it has. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

Installs in Pale Moon v25.5.0 OK - whether or not it does anything is another matter.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #728 on: June 20, 2015, 02:00 AM »
getlocalload is something of a damp squib. Doesn't even install, though it says it has.

-installs under L for Local Load.

- whether or not it does anything is another matter.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:06 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #729 on: July 15, 2015, 07:39 AM »
Readable from Baris Derin stopped working, but luckily I've found the bookmarklet button Print Friendly instead. It is by far The Best virtual printer I so far have tried - and MUCH better than any desktop "Print to pdf" I know of! It is free, and this can make you wonder why, so I went to their About -page:

About PrintFriendly
PrintFriendly cleans and formats web pages for perfect print experience. PrintFriendly removes Ads, Navigation and web page junk, so you save paper and ink when you print. It's free and easy to use. Perfect to use at home, the office, or whenever you need to print a web page.

Features
    Print Preview: Optimizes and displays content for print.
    Edit Before Printing: Remove images, text, and print only what you want.
    Print or Save as PDF: Print now, or save for later as a PDF.
Instructions For: FireFox Internet Explorer Chrome Safari iPad & iPhone Other

The PrintFriendly Story
Web pages usually look terrible when printed, and waste tons of paper and ink. It's bad for your wallet and the environment. In 2009, I had had enough, and set to work on solving the problem with PrintFriendly.com. The PrintFriendly team is Taylor Norrish (Founder, Customer Support, and Light Tech Stuff) and Manu Janardhanan (Programming, Servers, and Serious Tech Stuff). Special thanks to Vamsee Kanakala for helping to create v1, and Arc90 for their ingenious readability script.

Print Friendly Button for FireFox: http://www.printfrie...dly.com/browser_tool
:up:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:16 AM by Curt, Reason: bookmarklet button »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #730 on: July 15, 2015, 07:54 AM »
I've found the bookmark Print Friendly instead. It is by far The Best virtual printer I so far have tried - and MUCH better than any desktop "Print to pdf" I know of! It is free, and this can make you wonder why, so I went to their About -page:

works great :up:
I see you can also embed it in a webpage - http://www.printfriendly.com/button

Still not clear how it's free though - there is mention of a Pro version  and subscription on the support page - "Pro - Ad Free and White Label Service" but it's not clear what exactly you're paying for,** nor even clear how to purchase.

**  "Ad Free"? Have you seen ads?
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #731 on: July 15, 2015, 08:15 AM »
I think their wording merely is meant to hold some doors open, and maybe shot any other door.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #732 on: July 15, 2015, 09:55 PM »
I didn't succeed in determining whether this can work offline -- my impression is that it requires communication with their site.

Is that correct?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #733 on: July 16, 2015, 02:21 AM »
you're right, ewemoa, the one I was recommending is only a bookmarklet button on your browser's panel, so it cannot work offline. Their server on their site is doing the job, but it is doing it very well  ;-) The other one, mentioned by Tom, is for your homepage, (read http://www.printfriendly.com/button), but of course also going to their site, http://www.printfriendly.com

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: blocking/deleting garbage and cookies
« Reply #734 on: July 16, 2015, 04:13 AM »
Details of some useful stuff for blocking/deleting garbage and cookies in Firefox:
  • BetterPrivacy: a useful extension that removes LSOs in Firefox, as described below:
    Remove or manage a new and uncommon kind of cookies, better known as LSO's.The BetterPrivacy safeguard offers various ways to handle Flash-cookies set by Google, YouTube, Ebay and others...

• Cookienator: this is not an Add-On, but a program. I use it in Windows at start-up and occasionally throughout the day.  It removes cookies simultaneously from these browsers and Flash local storage:
    • IE
    • Firefox
    • Google Chrome
    • Safari
    • Flash local storage
    Note: You can manually add extra domains to the list it has, to block cookies from - e.g., facebook.com

• Blocked Add-Ons in Firefox: this is an informative list maintained by Mozilla and which Carol Haynes linked to in a post many pages earlier - here,

• Privacy Badger: from eff.org blocks spying ads and invisible trackers.

• Self-Destructing Cookies: if you already had this Firefox Add-on, you may find (as I did) that it had been mysteriously deleted without telling you, presumably as part of what seems to be have been a "registration" scam that Firefox has apparently been quietly operating against selected add-ons recently. You can see why this particular add-on might be "unwanted" by Mozilla's sponsors, as it is so effective in automatically clearing cookies left on your hard drive after you leave the website that just wrote those cookies to your drive.    :o
    All the more reason for reinstalling that particular add-on and any others deleted by Mozilla in like fashion, and for looking for an alternative browser developer that doesn't play these sorts of games against its users. To protect yourself, keep a list of your add-ons, so you can refer to it periodically to see what has been removed. If you use Extension List Dumper, that would give you a list and the file location for the add-ons, so you could retrieve it from back-ups. If you use  FEBE, CLEO or OPIE, then you can just restore the deleted add-ons right away.  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: blocking/deleting garbage and cookies
« Reply #735 on: July 16, 2015, 05:54 AM »
@IainB  the one I wish FF had is Vanilla Cookie Manager for chrome.  You block everything then use the Vanilla Cookie Button if you wish to allow a site.  It is effortless.  My SAS scans went down to nearly 0 tracking cookies when I was using chrome as default with this extension.

Privacy Badger worked for me for a very short time.  Then all of a sudden it was like it wasn't even installed.  It blocked nada.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #736 on: July 16, 2015, 06:31 AM »
the one I was recommending is only a bookmarklet button on your browser's panel, so it cannot work offline. Their server on their site is doing the job, but it is doing it very well  ;-) The other one, mentioned by Tom, is for your homepage, (read http://www.printfriendly.com/button), but of course also going to their site, http://www.printfriendly.com

Thanks for the clarification.

FWIW, it's a bit of work but I sometimes use a combination of "Inspect Element" followed by "Delete Node" before "printing".

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #737 on: July 16, 2015, 07:01 AM »

forgive my whining, but do I really have to read an entire book, before using this one? Does it work out of the box?  :tellme:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #738 on: July 16, 2015, 07:38 AM »
...forgive my whining, but do I really have to read an entire book, before using this one? Does it work out of the box?  :tellme:

That link goes to 404...
As to "Does it work out of the box?" - Why not install it and see?    :tellme:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #739 on: July 16, 2015, 07:50 AM »
...forgive my whining, but do I really have to read an entire book, before using this one? Does it work out of the box?  :tellme:

That link goes to 404...
As to "Does it work out of the box?" - Why not install it and see?    :tellme:

That would be cheating.  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2015, 09:32 AM »
do I really have to read an entire book,
That link goes to 404...

sorry, I didn't LOOK at the link, so I hadn't yet realized the page was local - and chrome://bprivacy/content/BetterPrivacy.html doesn't work as a link, not even with a "http://" in front... Of course I already had BetterPrivacy installed, without cheating, when I began whining, but I had not yet realized it only will start working, when I close the browser. It removed 151 LSO things, the first time I closed Firefox. The next five times, there was nothing to delete. Therefore I have removed the "Work when I close my browser", and instead checked "Add this option to Firefox's >Clear History and ...<"

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:37 AM by Curt »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thought I'd post this as it looked interesting: Make Chrome and Firefox faster with just one click - CNET

I'm trialling it now, from: OneTab extension for Google Chrome and Firefox - save up to 95% memory and reduce tab clutter

BE WARNED - it's had good and bad reviews at the FF Add-Ons website OneTab :: Add-ons for Firefox

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #742 on: July 27, 2015, 06:14 PM »
http://www.palemoon.org/

The first 4 of many new, listed features / fixes:

Pale Moon 25.6.0 (2015-07-27) Release notes.
Fixes/changes:

Canvas anti-fingerprinting option: Pale Moon now includes the option to make canvas fingerprinting much more difficult. By setting the about:config preference canvas.poisondata to true, any data read back from canvas surfaces will be "poisoned" with humanly-imperceptible data changes. By default this is off, because it has a large performance impact on the routines reading this data.

Added a feature to allow icon fonts to be used even when users disallow the use of document-specified fonts. This should retain full navigation for icon-font heavy websites (no more dreaded "boxes" with hex codes) when custom text fonts are disabled.

Added a feature to prevent screen savers from kicking in when playing full-screen HTML5 video. This is currently not yet operational on Linux because of stability issues we've run into on that OS, but Windows should properly benefit from this change.

The "autocomplete=off" parameter for signon forms is now completely ignored by default, to keep the user in control of their browser's behavior and allowing credentials to be saved if wished. If you prefer the previous behavior, allowing a website to determine whether autocomplete should be allowed or not, then change the about:config preference signon.ignoreAutocomplete to false.

-etcetera, etcetera: http://www.palemoon....g/releasenotes.shtml
-new Pale Moon 25.6

There are many versions:

2015-07-28_011201.gif
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:58 AM by Curt »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Scrapbook
« Reply #743 on: July 27, 2015, 10:36 PM »
Cross-posted from:
Re: Packrat's tool for "Idea Surfing" the web
I hadn't seen (or had forgotten) this thread until @lifeweaver's post above brought it up in my feedreader today.
On reading it, I realised that the ScrapBook :: Add-ons for Firefox could probably meet the requirements in the OP.
I often use use Scrapbook to save a web page and any downloadable files linked to on that page at the same time. It usually works just fine.
Each clipped page goes as a set of small files into a uniquely-named date-time folder in the Scrapbook directory, and is indexed and/or searchable through the Scrapbook manager and Windows Desktop Search, Everything, etc.

Scrapbook - 01 Download options 01.png

Scrapbook - 01 Download options 02.png

Scrapbook - 02 Menu options.png

I'd recommend you try it out. It's an amazingly useful little information capture and management tool.
There are forks off the Scrapbook Add-on, which look quite useful, though they don't meet my peculiar requirements.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #744 on: August 01, 2015, 06:01 PM »
hm hm... http://www.unblocker...be-unblocker-firefox :

I agree to highlight matching search results on search engines (such as Google) and to replace result links with affiliate links.
-YouTube Unblocker
:o

But with a single click you can uncheck that 'option'.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #745 on: August 02, 2015, 07:54 AM »
Extension List Dumper doesn't work with Firefox 39 on Windows 10 Pro. The addon itself has not been updated since Firefox 9, so you might say it went well for a long period of time.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #746 on: August 03, 2015, 02:21 AM »
Extension List Dumper doesn't work with Firefox 39 on Windows 10 Pro. The addon itself has not been updated since Firefox 9, so you might say it went well for a long period of time.

Yes, I keep hoping the author will fix it...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #747 on: August 03, 2015, 03:13 AM »
Extension List Dumper doesn't work with Firefox 39 on Windows 10 Pro.

not him, but Chris000001:

Posted June 11th, 2014, 9:44 pm
Chris000001 wrote: >>Change 'resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm' to 'resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm' (and don't remark anything out.) That's from this blog: https://blog.mozilla...lity-for-firefox-30/. So, in the same file, ELDumperOutput.js, change:
code in ELDumperOutput.js
Code: Select all
 var XPIProvider = Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm")
 to:

Code: Select all
 var XPIProvider = Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm")

<<

Bless you! Gotta love a fix that requires adding one word to a parameter in a file. Extension List Dumper now works again in Nightly.
Thank you very much.
/Dennis
-Dennis, a user of Extension List Dumper

from http://forums.mozill...p=13611893#p13611893 + https://addons.mozil...tension-list-dumper/

but you don't edit a xpi just using notepad, so I don't know what to do with this instruction.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:43 AM by Curt, Reason: HowTo edit »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #748 on: August 03, 2015, 03:48 AM »
Nightly of course has a list dumper, but it's not nearly as sofisticated as the DISABLED one we're talking about:

• Adblock Plus 2.6.10
  • Add to Search Bar 2.8.1-signed
  • Bulk Image Downloader 4.53.0.0
  • CoLT 2.6.5.1-signed
  • Context Search 0.6.3.1-signed
  • Copy As Plain Text 1.0.9.1-signed
  • Download Manager (S3) 3.11.1-signed
  • Extension List Dumper 1.15.2.1-signed [DISABLED]
  • Flagfox 5.1.1
  • I don't care about cookies 2.4.2
  • InFormEnter 0.765
  • Lazarus: Form Recovery 3.2
  • Nightly Tester Tools 3.7.1-signed
  • Restart 1.2.6
  • Self-Destructing Cookies 0.4.7.1-signed
  • Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate 7.1.0
  • YouTube High Definition 39.0

I've added the bullets myself, just to be able to watch the list without getting a headache...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Extension List Dumper - FIXED
« Reply #749 on: August 03, 2015, 08:20 AM »
Extension List Dumper doesn't work with Firefox 39 on Windows 10 Pro.

not him, but Chris000001:

Posted June 11th, 2014, 9:44 pm
Chris000001 wrote: >>Change 'resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm' to 'resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm' (and don't remark anything out.) That's from this blog: https://blog.mozilla...lity-for-firefox-30/. So, in the same file, ELDumperOutput.js, change:<<

Bless you! Gotta love a fix that requires adding one word to a parameter in a file. Extension List Dumper now works again in Nightly.
Thank you very much.
/Dennis
-Dennis, a user of Extension List Dumper

from http://forums.mozill...p=13611893#p13611893 + https://addons.mozil...tension-list-dumper/

but you don't edit a xpi just using notepad, so I don't know what to do with this instruction.

Just:
  • 1. Open file ELDumperOutput.js in a text editor.
  • 2. Find: "resource://gre/modules/XPIProvider.jsm"
  • 3. Change it to: "resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm"
  • 4. Save the changed file.
  • 5. Make sure the extension Extension List Dumper is enabled in Firefox.
  • 6. Restart Firefox.
  • 7. Go to the extensions tab and press the Dump List button (in top RH corner).

By the way, a tip for getting the list in RTF:
  • Get the list output in BBcode, then
  • copy that list to a DC forum comment, then
  • Preview it, and
  • copy the preview text and past it as RTF into your notebook (I use OneNote) - you will see that all the hyperlinks are active in RTF that way.

Many thanks - that is a simple fix. Nice find. Works a treat now.   :Thmbsup: