topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 766335 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #600 on: March 29, 2014, 02:53 PM »
also to help me remember:

(the so-called "Incompatible"s are of course compatible in Real Life):

Spoiler
Application: Pale Moon 24.3.2 (20140208150555)

-Add-ons Manager > Dump list

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:21 PM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #601 on: April 04, 2014, 03:32 AM »
FoxySpider is (...) a very handy tool if you want to investigate a site and take a look at all its images. (...)
As a test, after you have installed it, go to http://www.google.com/intl/en/about/ and right-click on the page and invoke FoxySpider. Interesting result.

I went to http://www.washingto...8_gallery.html#item0 to see if FoxySpider could get the Russian austronaut picture that my normal favourite (Bulk Image Downloader) couldn't. After a long freezing, it could. Bravo!

HOWEVER, there was a but, (a frozen butt?), and it really was a huge, enormous, gigantic but: The accumulated memory usage was 3710MB ! Yes: three (3) point (.) seven (7) GIGA bytes (GB) memory usage !!!!!!! No wonder it froze!
  :o

click thumb to enlarge picture (memory consumption is told by add-on "Memory Restart"):
(and Yes, it took a loooong time to produce this screenshot, waiting for things to happen)

Foxyspider.gifFirefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

In my opinion, this is not "handy", but "unwanted behaviour".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:47 AM by Curt, Reason: Internationalizing »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #602 on: April 04, 2014, 04:37 AM »
^^ Wow, there are a lot of humungous images on that site! Some very nice pix though. Impossible to download the whole lot into a FoxySpider window. Those aren't thumbnails! S-L-O-W. It tried to download them, but I killed it. Did not crash.
Bandwidth killer.
That's rather a feature of the website being crawled though, isn't it - rather than FoxySpider, I mean?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #603 on: April 04, 2014, 11:42 AM »
I changed the number of downloadable pages to "2", pictures only, and only if sized larger than 1000x500 pixels - and suddenly the total number of pictures via the same page was a mere 55 => which took up 51MB on my PC when downloaded. Yet, the memory usage was 1½ GB! At first it was acceptable 350MB, but I waited a minute, and it rose to 1373MB!!!

jP1.jpg

-------------

memory usage (Pale Moon = Firefox):

1venstre.gif

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:38 PM by Curt, Reason: task manager »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #604 on: April 04, 2014, 01:07 PM »
I closed down FF after that run of FoxySpider and ran CCleaner whilst I made a cuppa tea. When I came back I saw that CC had removed over 2Gb of surplus data...compared to the usual max of 400Mb or so that it would otherwise usually do!
It would be interesting to see if one of those large images, when saved to disk and then opened and re-saved using (say) irfanview, would still be as big on the re-save - even without compression. I recall a discussion a while back on DCF where someone had these humungus image files - wedding photos - that he had recovered from disk. I noticed that after re-saving them in uncompressed form, they were of a "normal" size, and still had the same resolution. The conclusion was that recovered files can contain a load of redundant/surplus data, and I have found that to be consistent with my own experience since in recovering deleted image files from disk.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #605 on: April 11, 2014, 01:52 AM »
QClean stopped having any effect whatsoever,
so I was pleased to discover that facebook-cleaner version 2
(https://addons.mozil...don/facebook-cleaner)
is working very well.
 :up:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #606 on: May 04, 2014, 07:24 AM »
I've just downloaded and installed Privacy Badger ß Add-on from the EFF.
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Privacy Badger blocks spying ads and invisible trackers. It's there to ensure that companies can't track your browsing without your consent.

This extension is designed to automatically protect your privacy from third party trackers that load invisibly when you browse the web. We send the Do Not Track header with each request, and our extension evaluates the likelihood that you are still being tracked. If the algorithm deems the likelihood is too high, we automatically block your request from being sent to the domain. Please understand that Privacy Badger is in beta, and the algorithm's determination is not conclusive that the domain is tracking you.

Our extension has three states. Red means block the tracker. Yellow means that we don't send cookies or referers to the tracker. Green means unblocked (probably because the third party does not appear to be tracking you). You can click on the Privacy Badger icon in your browser's toolbar if you wish to override the automatic blocking settings. Or, you can browse in peace as Privacy Badger starts finding and eating up web trackers one by one.

Nothing can stop the Privacy Badger from eating cookies when it's hungry!

Privacy Badger is a project of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #607 on: May 04, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Scrolling down the page leads to a link to the following image with the title "Display Advertising Technology Landscape":

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/files/2010/09/LUMA-display-ad-map.jpg

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #608 on: May 24, 2014, 01:25 PM »
I notice Color Toggle doesn't work in 27+ FF or latest Pale Moon.  Anyone have an alternative?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #609 on: May 27, 2014, 05:22 AM »
Color Toggle
Would NoSquint :: Add-ons for Firefox be of any use to you instead?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #610 on: May 27, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Thanks.  I'll give it a go.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #611 on: May 27, 2014, 07:29 AM »
I got ColorToggle to work(latest Pale Moon x64) just by changing the hotkey modifiers to Control and Alt.  I tried changing the letter before but no dice.  It just doesn't seem to like having Shift in the sequence.  :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #612 on: May 27, 2014, 10:54 PM »
I got ColorToggle to work(latest Pale Moon x64) just by changing the hotkey modifiers to Control and Alt.  I tried changing the letter before but no dice.  It just doesn't seem to like having Shift in the sequence.  :)

Yes, I'm not surprised. I briefly trialled PaleMoon x64 and rapidly uninstalled it when I found it conflicted with several hotkey combinations that either I or the system already used. Just too much trouble - PITA. I couldn't see much value in it if one had to invest one's time in adapting one's "ecosystem" to suit the browser.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #613 on: May 28, 2014, 05:21 AM »
I don't know what it is, but it seems like every time I try vanilla FF x64 it's a dog.  So I end up using PM as my installed FF.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #614 on: May 29, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Not really an extension and many of you may be aware of it already, but I just found how to do it today.  Jump to the last tab that had the focus by pressing Control Tab.  Just set about:config
browser.ctrlTab.previews to True

I love it because I always do a google search using the context menu.  Then I forget which tab I was typing into.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #615 on: May 30, 2014, 03:23 AM »
Not really an extension and many of you may be aware of it already, but I just found how to do it today.  Jump to the last tab that had the focus by pressing Control Tab.  Just set about:config
browser.ctrlTab.previews to True

thanks for that tip Miles - works out of the box in PaleMoon :up:

I remember in FF that clicking on the tab with focus would move the focus to the last focused tab (try saying that fast :p).
I think that was inbuilt, but stopped working at some stage - a good while back now...
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #616 on: May 30, 2014, 05:13 AM »
Also works in FF 27.0 portable.  That "about:config" stuff is almost as undocumented as the Windows Registry.  :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Open Dyslexic font
« Reply #617 on: June 17, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Seriously useful - OpenDyslexic - Firefox Facts

Ergonomically, serifed fonts were apparently the best fonts for recognition, speed-reading and comprehension.
Maybe the Open Dyslexic font changes that. I wonder how OCR copes with it?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #618 on: June 17, 2014, 08:56 PM »
I have for years used and currently use ScrapBook to capture and search specific web pages. I have a huge library of such captured material.
ScrapBook
About this Add-on
ScrapBook is a Firefox extension, which helps you to save Web pages and easily manage collections. Key features are lightness, speed, accuracy and multi-language support. Major features are:
* Save Web page
* Save snippet of Web page
* Save Web site
* Organize the collection in the same way as Bookmarks
* Full text search and quick filtering search of the collection
* Editing of the collected Web page
* Text/HTML edit feature resembling Opera's Notes

The reason I have stuck with Scrapbook is that there is nothing else quite like it. However, today I came across this:Chrome extension All Seeing Eye indexes all text in your Web history - CNET, and found in the Chrome Web Store:
Chrome Web Store - ALL SEEING EYE
Record All Browsing in Screenshots & Full Text. Search For Anything At Any Time. Never Forget Where You Read Something. 100% Private

How to use:
After installing, browse to a few web sites of your choice (e.g. yahoo.com, facebook.com, etc) so that the browser  creates some new entries  in your web history. After that go to Show All History from your browser's History menu
Every time you see a new page while browsing it will be saved as a screenshot and all its contents will be remembered so you can go to Show All History from your browsers History menu and search for things in your web history, with a visual interface that helps you find stuff.

NEW: you may now use tags in the Options tab to tell the extension not to capture certain sites.

What it does:
If you want to remember everything you see on the web and have a way to search your web history with full content then this extension will help you do just that. The normal browser history does not save the text inside the pages you visit so you can't search for anything except the title and URL. This extension saves and indexes all the text in all the pages you visit so you can find everything in your history with a few keystrokes. It also takes screenshots of all pages so you can locate to the right page with visual memory. It makes it easier to find stuff that you've already come across in your browsing, so you don't have to search for it again on the web.

I developed this extension to help me find information I come across much more easily than having to search for it again on the web. If it's in my history, I can find it. This has given me all seeing powers. You can have that power too, dear user.

This extension does NOT send any of your browsing info to the cloud or anywhere. It keeps everything on your machine. It will respect your privacy and not work in Incognito mode, so all your browsing in Incognito mode is never saved.

This extension is Open Source. If you're a developer feel free to examine the code and ask any questions or submit issues directly on Github: https://github.com/i...bidiart/AllSeeingEye

Currently, only English is supported for searchable content. Other languages will added in the future.

If this were a FF extension, it would be potentially one of the most useful that I could imagine - with the "missing" functionality that I would like Scrapbook to be capable of, to better meet my peculiar requirements.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #619 on: June 18, 2014, 05:43 PM »
... today I came across this:Chrome extension All Seeing Eye indexes all text in your Web history - CNET, and found in the Chrome Web Store:

Maybe it's time for a "Chrome Extensions: Your favorite or most useful" thread?  ;)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #620 on: June 18, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Yes, please. Get out.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
userscripts-mirror
« Reply #621 on: July 31, 2014, 05:25 PM »
important link if you ever want to install a userscript: uczen.gif

>>http://userscripts-m...pts/show/487275.html<<

Redirect Userscripts.org to Userscripts-MIRROR.org

Script Summary:On any web page it will check if the clicked links goes to userscripts.org. If so, the link will be rewritten to point to userscripts-mirror.org

PROBLEM: Userscripts.org is unreachable.
SOLUTION: On any web page, this script will redirect userscripts.org links to userscripts-mirror.org.
DETAILS: The source code is very short and simple to understand.
-userscripts-mirror

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #622 on: July 31, 2014, 08:29 PM »
I'm easily confused so please talk s...l.....oooo.......w!
I'm still looking for the "supposed" script to disable lazyload.
I just came from that site with over 137,000 scripts on over 5,000 pages.
I'll need a clue as to how we do business there.
Got any tips>
 :huh:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #623 on: July 31, 2014, 11:12 PM »
@Curt: Ah, many thanks for posting that. You saved me the trouble - I hadn't been sure where to post it (had forgotten this discussion thread) when I saw it yesterday in my feed-reader, referenced in this post in The Windows Club: Greasemonkey scripts for Firefox: What it does and how to use it

How did you find out about that mirror? It seems to have been a little-known item, which always makes me curious.

I had been presuming that somebody was deliberately killing off usercripts.org as it has become well nigh impossible to connect to them, and so I had been resorting to using the Wayback machine (where many/all the scripts seem to be have been stored) - but it seems that, to make use of Wayback as a script archive, you probably first need to know the ID of the script you want!    :(

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #624 on: August 01, 2014, 06:20 AM »
userscripts.org seems to just have gone. Well, there are some alternatives.

http://wiki.greasesp.../User_Script_Hosting