topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fundraiser discussion.. again.. need help with ideas  (Read 17619 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Fundraiser discussion.. again.. need help with ideas
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Every 6 months or so i seem to think it's time to do a dc fundraiser but then chicken out..  well it's that time again.
Anyway i was thinking actually of just biting the bullet and doing it in feb (or march).

What i wanted to get feedback about is.. I was thinking of a couple of ideas.  In the past we had a big giveaway of donated software licenses.. i think we will skip that this year, mostly because it takes so long to organize, but also because i think it's just one more thing to try to explain which gets confusing.

However, i was thinking maybe it's a good opportunity to experiment with something else.. what if during the fundraiser month we said that if people chose not to donate we would still give them a lifetime non-expiring license key?

Is that defeating the purpose? It's kind of like an anti-incentive to donate so maybe it doesn't make any sense.. but i was thinking it would at least communicate to people that we are pure in our intentions and get more people to actually visit the site and give us a look.

Or is there something else interesting we could do?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fundraiser discussion.. again.. need help with ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Another thing is i think for the first time we should have a thermometer fundraising goal thing showing how much we've raised.
Makes me nervous since it seems like it will always seem like too little or too much, but let's give it a try and see.
As for where to set the goal of amount to raise.. i was thinking we would use our yearly hosting costs which is something like $5000 a year; we might actually make that the half way point just to be optimistic.

Sample banner idea:
codytherm.png

Another (background text and image would be removed for real version):
codytban.png

the 2nd one is actually easier to integrate into the site since it would replace the normal site banner on all pages, including forum.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:45 AM by mouser »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:22 AM »
what if during the fundraiser month we said that if people chose not to donate we would still give them a lifetime non-expiring license key?

Is that defeating the purpose? It's kind of like an anti-incentive to donate so maybe it doesn't make any sense..

Yes! It is a disincentive to donating...

Would it be difficult to set up one year non-expiring licenses (instead of the six months usually given) on DC apps? You're still showing good faith that way and encouraging people to try the apps and the boards longer so that they *might* then be moved to donate a year from now... Probably not actually as a good percentage of people who do not donate under the current model will never donate, no matter what you do.

Alternatively, you could give away free lifetime licenses for a 24 hour period during the drive. How about holding it in March and doing the giveaway on the fourth anniversary of DC going live (March 13th, isn't it?).

Just some random and convoluted thoughts  :o

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:43 AM »
Would it be difficult to set up one year non-expiring licenses (instead of the six months usually given) on DC apps?
no, that's easy to do.

Alternatively, you could give away free lifetime licenses for a 24 hour period during the drive. How about holding it in March and doing the giveaway on the fourth anniversary of DC going live (March 13th, isn't it?).
fundraiser in march celebrating anniversary with giveaway on that day is not a bad idea..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:45 AM »
is there anything special we could give to donators during the fundraiser?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Let's see... you already give donators lifetime licenses and access to both discounts and giveaways... How about highlighting other already available benefits of membership? I'm only dimly aware of them myself - but there are (I think) webpage hosting, e-mail addresses that I can think of... Then there is the IRC channel. I don't use it myself, but it is a hugely popular feature.

Bottom line: I'd try to avoid anything that's going to put a strain on the coffers (ie mugs). How about one of those electro-static car window "thingies" that Univerities and Colleges hand out/sell ("Donationcoder.com for software connoisseurs")?

Would it be hard to make a version of each of the DC apps that can be user-personalized ("Darwins FARR" in the titlebar, for example)? I'm reaching...

Bring back user blog hosting (or at least make it more prominent). I miss the blogs from the beginning... Thus, a donator can set up his or her own blog at DC?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Oh! Had another - how about a special DC badge under the post count ("I dontated in the 2009 DC Fundraiser")?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 11:56 AM »
Some of my suggestions :

- Can we setup payment systems like Western union or other payment transfers etc.
(As many members like me don't have credit card so can't donate via paypal etc)

- Other paypal, other modes of online payment transfer like ebookie,Alertpay,Stormpay should be considered.

Other than that Fundraiser banner is good idea. :up: I've seen similar banner on wikipedia.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Having been involved in many fundraising efforts over the years, here are a few suggestions:

1. Ask. Don't be bashful or timid about asking for donations. If you are providing a worthwhile service (which you are!), it is perfectly reasonable to ask people to support it. People respect legitimate requests for donations.

2. Briefly explain what you are trying to accomplish with the fund raiser. Nothing too elaborate. Just saying something like "To help defer our annual operating expenses of $xxxx, etc." is plenty.

3. Stay away from gimmicks. I've found every fundraiser I was involved with that got into prizes, or gifts, or 'special thank-yous' wound up turning off a lot of the people we were trying to get to contribute.

4. By the same token, don't underestimate the importance of people feeling the need to belong to something worthwhile. Being able to call yourself " a member" packs a lot of punch for many people. A simple token or badge a contributor can somehow display is usually all the thanks they expect or want. I think Darwin had a good idea above - maybe even some sort of 'merit badge' type thing where each contributed year had it's own badge that got displayed.

5. Do your fundraiser once - or at the most, twice per year. Don't do the PBS/NPR mini-drive thing. It just gets people pissed off.

6. In the USA, the best times (so I've been told by the pros) are the spring (US Tax Refund Season!!!) and right around Thanksgiving when people are feeling generous but haven't gone completely broke buying Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Yule/Durin's Day presents yet.

7. The thermometer idea is great. Always let the people who contributed know how it is going. It builds involvement.

8. Lastly, whatever you do, see if you can find a way to give Curt that third gold box he wants so badly? ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:46 PM by 40hz »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 01:08 PM »
8. Lastly, whatever you do, see if you can find a way to give Curt that third gold box he wants so badly? ;D

+1 to this idea  ;D

Maybe you should start a new thread/petition?

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 01:57 PM »
We could auction off "bragging rights" ;-)

c-base last year had a fundraising auction, where we had several items up for "sale". One was a permanently reserved seat in one of our plane seats. The winner comes to Berlin once a year only so did not really gain something for his money, but he can at least claim to have secured a seat when c-base takes off.

Now I completely understand that DC is different from c-base, and you will understand this was just an idea :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 07:10 PM »

Now I completely understand that DC is different from c-base

Sure is. You guys have plane seats!  8) That is very very cool. :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17 PM »
Just to add my voice to 40hz' advice to mouser:

1. Ask. Don't be bashful or timid about asking for donations.

Very true!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 06:53 PM »
This is a confirmation that, while possible ill-timed to coincide with tax season, the DonationCoder 4 Year Anniversary fundraiser will take place in March 2009.

I need some more ideas for the fundraiser.. anyone got anything creative and fun in mind?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06 PM »
How about Fundraiser USB drivers?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 03:19 PM »

Not a bad idea - but should definitely be done as prizes! As stated above, I think that whatever ideas we come up with/agree to should have a truly minimal impact on DC's accounts!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 03:31 PM »

Not a bad idea - but should definitely be done as prizes! As stated above, I think that whatever ideas we come up with/agree to should have a truly minimal impact on DC's accounts!

on the other hand it might be a good idea to have a "product line" that you could offer for sale year round
e.g.

tshirts ? (I know you have those expensive hoodies as prizes but you could produce a more basic line for the plebs) cause you could sell it year round it's not particularly "fundraiser-drive" material but worth thinking about, especially with such a good designer/illustrator as nudone on board!  (do you have a link again to those hoodies?)

Posters too ? (I'd like one ;))
Tom

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 12:40 AM »
I like the "store" idea, and you already have that sort of in place.  If you just created a page to display available items/prices, then it should be great.  Don't forget to add the static sticker idea Darwin mentioned - I would so buy one!  I like these stickers and I like putting them on my car, but I will NOT put an exterior standard sticker on.  The static ones, I can take with me to my new car when this one expires.

My first thought though is the thermometer (Wasn't this brought up somewhere else already?)  Anyway, if it gave an actual reading that we watched grow, that would be awesome.  I donate $100 (see that little blip, it was my donation  ;D) Don't forget to make it really large (say $15,000 for example) with a line at the goal mark.  If we can beat the goal, all the better!  Lets shoot for busting the application by overdonating  :Thmbsup:

As for the badges, well you already have a badge and naming system.  Is there one for donors?  I could care less about this personally, I like badges for work done (earned if you will).  Buy-a-badge doesn't do anything for me.  However, for others, it does.  There is a world full of completeists out there who would donate just to complete a badge collection.  Not that I am looking at Darwin or anything.  His software compulsion is just the need for everything ever coded, not set completion per se.  :P

How about this for another idea?  Many programs, particularly ones that rely on membership growth, support a bring a new member day.  Perhaps we could compile a best of DC CD (ISO, or whatever) that we could give out to a friend as a sort of introduction to DC.  It should include some of the best software and some sort of a key generator so that it tracks back to the compiler (the DC member who made it for the friend)  This key would be a way of tracking who is bringing in new members and can be used for a prize idea or even just recognition.  Heck for those who like the badges, you can even use it to have a badge line (1 new member, 5 new members, etc.).  I know I have mentioned the site to MANY people, but I don't know anyone who has actually visited, let alone joined.  I think that is because it is too much of a hastle for them to look for the site if they don't know what they are missing.  I tell them, but that only goes so far - seeing the software and the community in action - well that is effective!  At least it was for me when a friend of mine introduced me.  The best part of the CD idea is that it can be completely free of charge to DC.  The referring members can create the CD and distribute it; or for those on a very low budget, I suggest using a virtualCD program and mounting the ISO.  Though that may be problematic as it prevents you from just giving a copy to someone unless they already know exactly what they are doing with ISO files...Anyway that is my idea.  Refinements welcome.  8)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 12:54 AM »
thanks for such an encouraging post steel :)

My first thought though is the thermometer
already fully implemented with all the details you describe -- will go live in march.  it's a bit nervewracking but it's fun to try new experiments  :Thmbsup:

badges:
we could have a special badge for those who donate during the fundraiser.

shop:
we could give a special mug to everyone who donates over X amount ($100?), as a special thanks for big donors

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:56 AM by mouser »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 10:39 AM »
I like the DCCD idea, in some form or another! (Palindromic acronyms always appeal.)
Presumably there's a record somewhere of the most popular downloads. So, perhaps a sampling of those with a link to the software page here, and links to some of the best-read topics.

The trouble with rewarding donors of 'large' amounts is that it leaves out those whose 'small' donations represent a large proportion of disposable income.
When I were a lad a $5 donation to anything would have been all but impossible. $1 to me literally would have been worth more than $100 to many others.
I still think it's a good idea to acknowledge large donations in case it encourages some who like to be stroked but we should be careful to make anyone who contributes feel good.  Fortunately, mouser seems very skilled at doing just that.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 06:13 AM »
the donation chart https://www.donation...te/HowMuchChart.html
is very US Centric, as the first slab $1-$20,000 covers a huge number of the world population. And by that chart, they should donate $10 if they love the site.

http://ucatlas.ucsc.edu/income.php

another thing encourage people to say things like:
if you do .... I will donate XX to DC!
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 06:20 AM »
the chart is mostly a joke so don't take it too seriously.

on the other hand, you are right about the $1-$20,000 row, perhaps the first row should be $0-$5,000 and second row $5,000-$20,000

OR more sensibly one should apply a linear (or perhaps more appropriate logarithmic) scale to calculate the exact donation amount based on your location within the range given by any row.

i'll leave the function as an exercise to the reader, but i will offer a deluxe programming badge award and space ship cody mug for the first person who codes a web page that calculates this from an inputted income value and applies the proper function.  bonus points for automatic currency conversion, and for a choice of linear/log/exponential function mapping; super bonus points for drawing an actual curve and showing their position on the curve.  plus we will feature the function on the chart page.  :up:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:24 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Well.. who is going to volunteer to code this?