topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: wanted: a fix for ubuntu problem/new linux distro  (Read 6580 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
wanted: a fix for ubuntu problem/new linux distro
« on: January 25, 2009, 01:18 AM »
...Wow, I need to find someone else to come up with titles for me.
Anyways, before I begin, I would like to point out that when it comes to linux, I am a complete noob.
With that said, I would like to attempt to learn how to use linux. My problem is, I have burned a Ubuntu disc, but when I try to use it, I get an error message.
If I try to click the live cd, install Ubuntu, or check for defects options, the system just sits there for a couple of minutes, and then pops up with a box that says "I/O error" with a restart button. I have burned the cd with several different programs, and all times it messed up. I have also tried both ubuntu 8.04 x64 and ubuntu 8.10 x64, both give the same error. I googled the problem, and people have suggested to try to burn the cd on a different computer, but I don't really think that would help much, because I have been able to use my 8.04 image on my old computer with no problems.

So what I am asking here is if anyone knows of either how to fix this problem(I will still probably look on google a little more) or a different noob friendly linux distro.
I would almost prefer I different noob friendly distro, because I have used Ubuntu in a virtual machine a little, and would like to try out something different.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: wanted: a fix for ubuntu problem/new linux distro
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:28 AM »
If you intend to dual-boot the machine and it has Windows on it already, I highly recommend Wubi. It's 1 MB and it downloads and installs Ubuntu from within Windows. I'm a total linux noob too, but I just installed Ubuntu today with Wubi and it worked fantastically. It also allows you to uninstall Ubuntu from Add/Remove Programs in Windows. It's a great utility for Windows users who are total noobs to linux. :Thmbsup:

Just for reference, I recently started a thread about Fedora 9 in which I ultimately chose to go with Ubuntu, and Wubi was how I did it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:32 AM by Deozaan »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 03:03 AM »
I agree with what DeoZaan said mostly. I'm also a Linux noob but also a casual Windows user so I apologize if these stuff are common knowledge to you.

One cheat way to test your Linux installation without only finding the errors only after you've burned it is to use an MBR checker:

http://www.download....2092_4-10410639.html

Another cheat but user friendly way to have both wubi and an Ubuntu LiveCd is to try out the latest Mint version:

http://www.linuxmint...felicia_whatsnew.php

Mint4Win is basically just wubi but packaged in such a way that you also have the LiveCD.

There's also QEMUPuppy where you used the Puppy distro from usb within Windows:

http://www.erikveen....nl/qemupuppy/#10.0.0

Note that you can also use the Puppy LiveCD in a different way than most Linux distros in the sense that you save your settings on HD rather than install the Puppy LiveCD on the HD itself.

Finally here's some of the common noob-friendly distroes:

Sabayon Gentoo Linux: Gentoo is complicated but has one of the best documentations for a Linux distro making it the most newb friendly. Sabayon is a Gentoo that has been set up to handle the most cutting edge capabilities of any Linux distro. For this reason it is a bad stable desktop distro for newbs but an awesome stepping ground for newbs.

PCLinuxOS: Built around a KDE environment which I'm not a fan of. This Mandriva spin-off has been said by many Windows switchers as THE Linux distro that feels and looks the same as Windows. We all know better though and understand that it's just Mandriva under the banner of a much user friendlier small community and is just the KDE equivalent of Linux Mint.

Sidux: Fork'd from Debian rather than Ubuntu, this allows this OS to be much more stable and have a more updated software repository than Ubuntu. Note that this only comes to play when Ubuntu's 101 hidden bugs that causes your PC to suddenly fail to boot one day hits you at your worst time. This is now somewhat alleviated by Ubuntu having a separate user folder by default but it's an interesting alternative if you want a Linux jumping pad from Ubuntu.

PC/OS - This distro got some flak for being a remastered Xubuntu that advertised itself as a BeOS clone. As someone once wrote about it, it doesn't come close and is just Xubuntu with some changes. Those changes though are on the level of Mint and PCLinuxOS when they were first starting out. Another good distro to try if you're not into Xubuntu but I much prefer Puppy for uber-lightweight feeling.

Edit: Note that if you're into newb hardcore distroes (Yes there is such a thing just as there are people who are into slurping Hot Sauce!) then here are the ones I heard of from the past: Vector Linux, Zenwalk, Arch Linux, Wolvix, DamnSmall Linux and LinuxfromScratch.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:13 AM by Paul Keith »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:09 AM »
As a first step, I'd recommend you verify the MD5 checksum on your ISO file just to make sure you haven't experienced any oddball corruption when you downloaded. I prefer to use digestIT 2004 , but there are dozens of other MD5/SHA-1 verification utilities that work equally well.

Next, I'd suggest reburning your ISO image at a lower speed than the maximum supported by your drive. Occasional weird problems occur on some machines when a Linux CD is burned at 32X-52X speeds. I've run into that exact same issue with certain laptops. They'd have all sorts of problems with a fast disk, but work perfectly with a 16X or slower burn. Some Sony DVD-R/CD-RW drives seem to be particularly susceptible to this problem.

Try this: burn a new CD at 16X. Select the Disc-at-Once and Finalize CD options and set your burning application to verify the written data.

---------------------------
If you're new to Linux, IMHO your best bet is to grab one of the "mainstream" general-purpose distros (Ubuntu/Fedora/Suse) and get a handle on the basics before you start hopping around. Most people that distro-hop before they get grounded, wind up getting very confused and frustrated.

The big advantage of starting with [Ubuntu/Fedora/Suse] is that there is a lot of written material (books, downloadable PDFs, online manuals and how-tos, etc.) available for them. I've found I master things much more quickly if I can "read & then try" something as my first step, rather than just plug merrily along. But your individual learning style may be different than mine, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

BTW: If you're going to use Ubuntu, you can download a legal free copy of The Official Ubuntu Book and save yourself about $25 at Borders:

Main Link: http://vntutor.blogs...k-download-free.html

-or-

Direct Download Link: http://www3.vista-se.../24/958328512281.zip

Luck! :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:12 AM by 40hz »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:34 PM »
Right! What 40hz said. MD5 not MBR.  ;D

Edit: Btw 40hz, how would you rate Gentoo's documentation to SUSE and Fedora? Superior or inferior. I generally hear that Gentoo has more and easier to find free documentations.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 02:35 PM by Paul Keith »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:17 PM »
If you intend to dual-boot the machine and it has Windows on it already, I highly recommend Wubi. It's 1 MB and it downloads and installs Ubuntu from within Windows. I'm a total linux noob too, but I just installed Ubuntu today with Wubi and it worked fantastically. It also allows you to uninstall Ubuntu from Add/Remove Programs in Windows. It's a great utility for Windows users who are total noobs to linux. :Thmbsup:

Just for reference, I recently started a thread about Fedora 9 in which I ultimately chose to go with Ubuntu, and Wubi was how I did it.

oh yeah, I forgot about wubi. I didn't want to dual boot linux though, so I have an old 80gb drive that I have in my computer, and I just unplug my other drives and have only that drive plugged in. I'm going to check the md5 on my images and see what I come up with.

edit: md5 is the same for the images.
I'm downloading opensuse right now. I'll see what it does.
If I can't get it to install then currently the only linux I will have on my computer is the splashtop that is built into my asus motherboard
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:40 PM by nite_monkey »

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I just thought of something.
I'm using a Memorex cd-rw disc, that wouldn't have anything to do with corrupt installs would it?
I will soon find out, because I am burning opensuse right now.

edit: well opensuse(net install) just stops about half way through the loading process, and debian (net isntall) wont detect all my hardware. I guess I will just have to use wubi, and leave windows 7 on my other drive.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:00 PM by nite_monkey »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Edit: Btw 40hz, how would you rate Gentoo's documentation to SUSE and Fedora? Superior or inferior. I generally hear that Gentoo has more and easier to find free documentations.

Wouldn't really know since I don't do much with Gentoo any more. What Gentoo documentation I have seen is very detailed and quite good.

From various forum posts, I think our resident Gentoo expert is f0dder. How about it f0dder? Can you help Paul out with this one?

Beyond Gentoo:

Fedora/Suse documentation = meh unless you spring for a 3rd party book. The Sams Unleashed series are pretty good for general reading if you go that route.

A more technical intro is A Practical Guide to Redhat Linux by Mark G. Sobell. This book also covers Fedora and RHEL.

And of course there's also the O'Reilly Books for when you get beyond beginner, or are looking for more focused information. Their Apache, Sendmail, and Samba titles are still the standards. Check out the Hacks series for good quick & dirty reference books on the various distros. Ubuntu Hacks solves 90% of the problems you'll run into when you first get started with Ubuntu.

Best book for NIX bar none is the 1040-page Linux Administration Handbook by Nemeth, Snyder, & Hein. Now in it's second edition, this is the book for when you want to really know what you're doing. Techy, solid, and dense, but still remarkably readable material. An excellent book for your second year with Linux. Beg, borrow, buy or steal a copy of this book.

books.png

8)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:39 AM »
I just thought of something.
I'm using a Memorex cd-rw disc, that wouldn't have anything to do with corrupt installs would it?

I have had mixed luck with CD-RW burns. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. Most often it's not, so I would recommend getting a proper CD-R.
I would also second 40hz's advice as I have seen that same thing happen to others across many forums and a slower burn fixed it right up.

@Paul Keith: On more than one occasion, I have found solutions to obscure problems on the Gentoo wiki and nowhere else.