topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TV via broadband ?  (Read 7842 times)

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TV via broadband ?
« on: January 19, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Hello,

I would be interested in tips and comments regarding "watching TV" via broadband internet. 
Is dedicated software recommended? Are there any bearable offerings available at all ? Favorite web sites?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Lutz
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:55 PM by Lutz_ »

simakuutio

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TV via broadband ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Hello,

I would be interested in tips and comments regarding "watching TV" via broadband internet. 
Is dedicated software recommended? Are there any bearable offerings available at all ? Favorite web sites?

There is n+1 free and commercial softwares as well websites providing same stuff, to show some selection of TV channels which streams or are being streamed by someone else to internet with various bitrates. Shouldn't be hard to search some more popular titles from web, they are advertising quite aggressively even they itself doesn't usually provide anything else but frontend to show those stream same streams (most of them have very same streams, reason is quite obvious).

If I want to list some of my very favourites, there is one for software and another for webpage:

Software:
TVU Networks (www.tvunetworks.com) is p2p based software where you can easily find something more or less interesting to watch.

Webpage:
Freetube (freetube.110mb.com) have decent collection of streams available.

Of course, there is _alot_ of others, which I'm not mentioning here, if others have some nice ones with some special twist (not just repeating all same channels), feel free to list it here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 02:47 AM by simakuutio »

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Thanks for the info !!!
I will check these sites out.  You are correct, there is of course a lot coming up in a google search - however most of it looks rather fishy on a first glance.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43 AM »
If you're not in the states, you'll have difficulty watching some of the US programming (assuming that you care!). You'll need to use something like UltraSurf to enable you to watch US stations such as ABC (perpetually over subscribed lately it seems), NBC, and CBS.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Incidentally, a lot of these streams won't work if you have ad-blocking enabled... just FYI!

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:13 PM »
UK has the brilliant tvcatchup.com which allows you to legally watch nearly all live Freeview channels.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:42 PM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:01 PM by Edvard »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Great list, Edvard. You can also buy access internet broadcast to entire seasons of some sports leagues like Major League Baseball (US) and the NFL (only replays for the NFL though). I'm not sure about DirectTV, but Dish now allows you to watch programming through your PC or smartphone w/software installed.