topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: PowerDesk Pro's Dialog Helper  (Read 39019 times)

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PowerDesk Pro's Dialog Helper
« on: November 30, 2005, 10:48 AM »
I just wanted to alert members to the Dialog Helper that's included with PowerDesk Pro (now from Vcom/Avanquest; formerly OnTrack; formerly Mijenix). To be honest, I don't normally use it, but I consider PowerDesk Pro (a Windows Explorer replacement) ABSOLUTELY indispensable and therefore consider Dialog Helper free. Also, a version of PowerDesk is included with Vcom/Avanquest's Fix-It Utilities 6 and SystemSuite, both useful programs (however, I'm not certain Dialog Helper is included with these versions of PowerDesk; check with Vcom).

At any rate, DH adds a few buttons to the title bar. It consists of a Folder Tracker, File Tracker, and File Viewer; one or all can be installed.   I believe it doesn't meet many of mouser's criteria, but it does offer an unobtrusive interface, recent files and folders, apps to ignore, and more. It might just meet your needs, and if you can use PowerDesk or one of the other utilities, provide a great value.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: PowerDesk Pro's Dialog Helper
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 10:54 AM »
good point - i'll add that to the review; i happen to be a big fan of powerdesk actually.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:32 AM »
Hi, I was a very longtime user of Powerdesk since about 1996.  However, last year I discovered a program called Directory Opus which absolutely blows Powerdesk out of the running completely.  Anyone who has used Powerdesk must check out Directory Opus, it can do just about everything Powerdesk does, except maybe for some of those toolbars and maybe a couple of other features (but even those might be in DOpus somewhere).  As a file manager, nothing beats Directory Opus as far as power and customizing.  I haven't used Powerdesk ever since.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 10:41 AM »
i agree superboyac, i'm also a directory opus fan.  for people who like powerdesk, directory opus has a similar feel but is arguably much more powerful (though the price is arguably way too high).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Yeah, it is expensive, around $65, and they make you pay for major upgrades.  That's why I hesitated on buying it for a long time, but I won a Christmas raffle and decided I couldn't live without it anymore.  I hate it when they make you pay for upgrades, but business is business and if they can get away with it, then who's to stop them?  But, the program really is far and away the most powerful file manager available.  It has even pried me away from my beloved Total Commander, which I love for it's speed and power.

FZimmerman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 05:18 PM »
I just wanted to alert members to the Dialog Helper that's included with PowerDesk Pro

It might be useful to point out that PowerDesk 6 Standard version is available for free, unlimited use:

http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Free_Trial.html

It also includes the Dialog Helper, which is the main reason why I install PowerDesk (I use Total Commander as my regular Explorer replacement).

Dialog Helper is better than the Favorites button of DM2 because it remembers the most recent Files and Paths for each specific application separately.

I've used Dialog Helper for quite a few years now and find that the two extra buttons (recent Files and recent Folders) it supplies at the top right of the Open/Save dialogs are really the most essential things, at least for the way I work. I wouldn't want to clutter up the dialogs with too much more.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 10:23 PM »
It might be useful to point out that PowerDesk 6 Standard version is available for free, unlimited use:

hey this is rather great news - i'm a big fan of powerdesk and the comparison of standard vs. pro is not so bad: http://www.v-com.com...sk_Pro_Compare2.html

i would definitely recommend giving this a try.

Chris

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 10:08 PM »
You could get PowerDeskPro for $9.95 at http://emea.0mm.com/...Wt0Q2B6D0ccZ0D35r0Ew

This is only for a week months ago but does eem to be avaible. I did purchase it at the time.

Chris A Harris
Adelaide
Australia

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Yup. Just confirmed that this offer is still alive and well. I wonder if PowerDesk 7 is about to be released or something? I still find myself tempted by the offer, but with both DOpus 9 and XYplorer installed I'm already running more file managers than I know what to do with! Besides, they're bot VERY hard to beat.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:40 PM »
Just remember, way to many file managers is barely enough  ;)  Since i didn't buy a computer magazine this month i feel justified  :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 06:10 PM »
A hex upon you Grorgy! Remind me NOT to ask you to be my sponsor if I ever need to join a 12 step programme. Sheesh! Why not make it legal and have your name changed to "Eve"?

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 06:22 PM »
I think I'd rather be the serpent lol

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 06:38 PM »
Cool. Dialog Helper coexists nicely with Enhanced File Dialog ( :-* - my favourite dialog enhancer courtesy of Stardock's Object Desktop and I can "configure out" the redundancies. I like the ability to add File Previews. Also, the Edit Note feature is kind of nifty. It's a bit like tagging. This is certainly not going to replace with DOpus or XYplorer, but it's nice to have around.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 07:39 PM »
I must be doing something wrong with that stardock one, i never seem to see any difference whatever i do with it, maybe its like logitech and me, adds up to 666  :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Enhanced File Dialog - go to your start menu and look for Stardock (or Object Desktop) and then look for the Enhanced File Dialog folder. You should be able to open up its interface and tweak it from there. The biggies are the shortcuts down the lefthand side (forget what it's called offhand) - you can do wonderful things there, and then it gives you the option to resize your dialogs, add various folders to parts of the dialog, etc. One thing to note, though, is that many of these extenders DO NOT WORK in MS Office. Best way to see if EFD is working is to open up, say, notepad and then hit ctrl-o... It's worth configuring. Personally, I think Stardock should release it as a standalone but I am assured that they will not. I think it's the best extender out there...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 11:34 PM »
Ah, spit, Bruce. Here's a screenshot of what you should see when you open up the Enhanced File Dialog main menu and another showing the resulting Open Dialog (after tweaking) from Notepad on my notebook:

Enhanced File Dialog.pngPowerDesk Pro's Dialog Helper

EFD Open Dialog.pngPowerDesk Pro's Dialog Helper

I started this post 3 hours ago... Wound up eating dinner and catching the Bourne Ultimatum in the interim!

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 04:41 AM »
Thanks for that Darwin, that's what i thought it should do, but for some reason it never has for me, there must be some conflict there I suppose.  The only one i can think of that could be causing it is DM2, one day I'll try turning it off see what happens then.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Ha ha - I carefully erased my name and my wife's name and completely missed "Michael Plant's documents" from the folder view. OK, my secret's out. I'll have to find a new secret identity. Drat!

Anyway, Grorgy, I don't know if you've played around a lot with EFD, but you need to configure it before it will work, and don't forget that it does NOT work with Office dialogs. First off, you need to look at each tab in the EFD settings window and select options that will actually modify the Open/Save dialogs. The other key is that some apps need to be forced to use the modifications - you do that in the "Forced" tab. Likewise, some apps choke if you modify them - you exclude them in the "exclusions" tab. Finally, the placesbar (that bar to the left with links I couldn't remember the name of yesterday...) can be extensively tweaked so you might try there to see if EFD works at all. The other things you can do are select your default view (Details for me, though this doesn't "stick" very well) and the size of the dialog. Dunno, just some suggestions. It took me a while to become convinced that it was doing anything and was worthwhile. I was coming from a background with XFilesDialog and loved it. I really though EFD was a waste of my time. I no longer even have XFilesDialog installed, though my licence is good for another 18 months or so.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 06:01 AM »
wirekeys also has a plugin or two which help the open/save dialog. Very unobtrusive and works happily.
I think i have the wirekeys, stardock's and powerdesk and they dont conflict.

I need to track which one i use the most  :tellme:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 07:22 AM »
Interesting iphigenie - I wasn't aware of wirekeys (though I suspect I've read about it in the past) - worth a look. Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 07:42 AM »
Drat! I passed on wirekeys when it was offered on Giveawayoftheday - that's where I recognized the name from! Oh well... I don't actually have any great burning desire to switch from DirectAccess anyway.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:40 AM »
watch this software bulimia tendency  ;). None of us need 10 tools for each job... yet I bet I am not the only one with 5 graphics editors, 3 file managers, a dozen overlapping utilities...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 11:36 AM »
Nope. You are most definitely NOT alone, iphigenie. I have... let's see, either 5 or 10 installed graphics editors (depending on whether or not you want to count different versions - PSP 9, X and XI, for example), 5 or 8 file managers, 4 different office suites, 3 notepad replacements... etc. Nope, you're not alone at all! I keep threatening to start a 12 step programme for people like ourselves (note that Grorgy will not be invited to sponsor me   :P if I do decide to go ahead with this)... Seems warranted!

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 12:57 PM »
 :o  i had a bit of a clean up so now i only have 2 file managers, 2 office suites and well im not sure how many graphics editors, ahh well, if one is good 2 must be better and think of the pleasure in actually having to decide firstly what program to use  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Let's see here... I forgot about two other file managers that I have but don't currently have installed, two more notepad replacements (ie text editors), at least three graphics suites... there's no hope for me! I'm lost!

Hello, my name is Mike and I have a problem... Grorgy, maybe we should do this together afterall? Problem is, while I freely admit that I have a problem, I don't WANT to change :o Like grorgy, and no doubt ipihgenie as well, I really like playing around with different apps, figuring them out, comparing them - I just like change... <Is that so wrong? sob!>