ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Dialog Extender

PowerDesk Pro's Dialog Helper

<< < (4/6) > >>

Darwin:
Ah, spit, Bruce. Here's a screenshot of what you should see when you open up the Enhanced File Dialog main menu and another showing the resulting Open Dialog (after tweaking) from Notepad on my notebook:

I started this post 3 hours ago... Wound up eating dinner and catching the Bourne Ultimatum in the interim!

Grorgy:
Thanks for that Darwin, that's what i thought it should do, but for some reason it never has for me, there must be some conflict there I suppose.  The only one i can think of that could be causing it is DM2, one day I'll try turning it off see what happens then.

Darwin:
Ha ha - I carefully erased my name and my wife's name and completely missed "Michael Plant's documents" from the folder view. OK, my secret's out. I'll have to find a new secret identity. Drat!

Anyway, Grorgy, I don't know if you've played around a lot with EFD, but you need to configure it before it will work, and don't forget that it does NOT work with Office dialogs. First off, you need to look at each tab in the EFD settings window and select options that will actually modify the Open/Save dialogs. The other key is that some apps need to be forced to use the modifications - you do that in the "Forced" tab. Likewise, some apps choke if you modify them - you exclude them in the "exclusions" tab. Finally, the placesbar (that bar to the left with links I couldn't remember the name of yesterday...) can be extensively tweaked so you might try there to see if EFD works at all. The other things you can do are select your default view (Details for me, though this doesn't "stick" very well) and the size of the dialog. Dunno, just some suggestions. It took me a while to become convinced that it was doing anything and was worthwhile. I was coming from a background with XFilesDialog and loved it. I really though EFD was a waste of my time. I no longer even have XFilesDialog installed, though my licence is good for another 18 months or so.

iphigenie:
wirekeys also has a plugin or two which help the open/save dialog. Very unobtrusive and works happily.
I think i have the wirekeys, stardock's and powerdesk and they dont conflict.

I need to track which one i use the most  :tellme:

Darwin:
Interesting iphigenie - I wasn't aware of wirekeys (though I suspect I've read about it in the past) - worth a look. Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version